Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2011, 16:41   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is India not a good market for MPVs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
People in Delhi can confirm this. I usually travel to Vasant Vihar and one thing that i have noticed is that every second house in Vasant Vihar has an Innova along with the other cars they own.

They are usually chauffeur driven. I call Vasant Vihar Innova-land these days. Lots and lots of Innovas there.

So I think MPVs do have a good market in India.
Yes, I am sure the age MPVs will definitely notch up some good sales figures in India.
By the way, Mustang - Any inside information on a possible chance of S-Max or Galaxy getting to India? Or maybe a Ford Kuga?
Old 1st March 2011, 19:22   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
By the way, Mustang - Any inside information on a possible chance of S-Max or Galaxy getting to India? Or maybe a Ford Kuga?
We will be getting a MPV in India in the next couple of years.
Old 6th March 2011, 05:23   #33
BHPian

The reason is simple. Some of the mini vans mentioned here have engines that are too big and expensive for the indian market. For example Honda Odyssey has a 3.5 L V6 engine that produces around 250 HP. Almost all minivans have gasoline engines in north america and gives less than 20 mpg in real world. If properly equipped, price can be upto 40 grand on road.
Old 6th March 2011, 10:36   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveen_2023 View Post
The reason is simple. Some of the mini vans mentioned here have engines that are too big and expensive for the indian market. For example Honda Odyssey has a 3.5 L V6 engine that produces around 250 HP. Almost all minivans have gasoline engines in north america and gives less than 20 mpg in real world. If properly equipped, price can be upto 40 grand on road.
Yeah, even Innova which is just considered as a low cost (but above Avanza)
and small-medium size MUV in the middle east and rest of Asia is said to be too big for our roads.
But there are a lot of MUVs that we can have in the stables of Japanese companies, but except the innova no one else is launching them.
@ Mustang- Is it the s-max or c-max.?
But i would prefer something made for India old gen like the Fiesta and Figo.
Old 6th March 2011, 10:45   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The next car that you will see from ford india will be a MPV, I have no other info as of now.
Old 6th March 2011, 10:57   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks @Mustang.101 for the info.
Can understand your limitations, but that doesn't stop me from speculating which car it would be!!!
One more doubt, is it an european style MPV or an AUV.
Nothing to irritate you.
Just reply when you get the info or are ready to do so.
Old 6th March 2011, 13:27   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveen_2023 View Post
Partially agree. As you mentioned, big MPVs like Odyssey could be overkill for India. Especially with the huge dimensions, low GC and big petrol blocks. But there are loads of small MPVs (which can seat 7), based on sedan/hatch platforms. And those will cost roughly around C / C+ segment sedans. And the dimensions are quite compact. Have a look at my post on page 2
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2259825

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Yeah, even Innova which is just considered as a low cost (but above Avanza)
and small-medium size MUV in the middle east and rest of Asia is said to be too big for our roads.
But there are a lot of MUVs that we can have in the stables of Japanese companies, but except the innova no one else is launching them.
Quote:
The next car that you will see from ford india will be a MPV, I have no other info as of now.
If I am right, there is a C-Max, S-Max, and Galaxy. Galaxy is a big MPV, C-Max is a compact SUV, and S-Max is sporty MPV, with sedan-like driving dynamics. And I really love the looks of the S-Max.

Happy to see Mustang’s comment that the next car from Ford will be an MPV. And I have a feeling that it could be the Grand C-Max, which can seat 7. Mustang can break the news when time arrives
Old 8th March 2011, 07:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

^^ Could be the Ford Ecosport as well, which is being discussed in the thread below :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...small-suv.html

Edit : Just realised this could be a mini SUV, not an MPV !

Last edited by mooza : 8th March 2011 at 07:25.
Old 19th June 2011, 11:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Let us face it - the dividing line between SUV, station wagon, van and MPV is very thin.

Station wagons, while have a very niche market in India, will not sell in huge numbers due to classification and taxation laws - these are classified as goods vehicles.

Vans and SUVs do not have luggage loading space.

Vans and MPVs do not have the performance / power of SUVs.

Vans do not have the off road capability of an SUV.

Innovas are at best, vans. Definitely not vans.

I would not call Scorpios or boleros or Sumos proper "high performance" vehicles. Off road capable, certainly yes; but not "high performance". What is wrong with calling them MPVs? Hmmm.... come to think of it, they certainly lack luggage space when carrying 6 or 7 passengers. Ditto for taveras, Xylos and even the discontinued Qualis.

Arias and Safaris and other vehicles in that class are SUVs - luxury vehicles.

We certainly do lack a good vehicle capable of taking 6 or more people on a trip lasting 2 or more days. Forget camping, which will require lot more luggage space.

So, yes, there is a huge gaping hole waiting to be filled.
Respected sir ji,who says VANS dont have space for luggage ?????? in fact there is ample space in our very own MARUTI VAAN.

Please see for yourself, I am giving proof..In this case this van is being loaded with BULBS they are discarding the cartons because more lamps can be stored without them.The driver said "CARTON KE SAATH JAGAHA WASTE HO JATA HAI". hahahahahah.
Attached Thumbnails
Is India not a good market for MPVs?-image492.jpg  

Is India not a good market for MPVs?-image493.jpg  

Is India not a good market for MPVs?-image494.jpg  

Is India not a good market for MPVs?-image495.jpg  

Old 19th June 2011, 15:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the next sedan coming from the Ford stable is going to be the Focus priced at 10-12 lakhs, then the next MPV will be the C-Max or Grand C-Max. Hopefully, priced in the 8-10 lakhs price bracket.
Focus and the C-Max are built on the same platform, so going by Ford's recent platform utilisation spree, this is the logical conclusion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks