Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 09:44   #61
BHPian

Re: BS-IV Tata Indica to topple Nano as the FE champion? EDIT : Brochure on Pg. 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
As I see it, the TDI engine is on its way out and Indica TDI owners could well wonder what could be their fate in the next 3-4 years. Making parts available is one thing, making them available "quickly" is quite another. I wonder if Tata dealers have the means to stock key parts of various engines at one time.
Tata has sold nearly 1 million 1.4 litre diesel engines in India till date. Its still continuing not only on the Indica, but also on the Venture and the Super Ace.

In fact probably as far as future concerns go, probably this engine is one amongst the better bets at this time.

It will be stupid if some dealer does not stock parts for this engine series.

If you are referring to Goa, by any chance, the main problem there is that out of the two dealers one is totally useless and the other is just marginally better.

Last edited by Trapezio : 9th March 2011 at 09:54.
Old 9th March 2011, 11:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: BS-IV Tata Indica to topple Nano as the FE champion? EDIT : Brochure on Pg. 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Wonder if this car makes sense. It costs 5,00,000 on the road in Bangalore, the same a petrol FIGO and the manufacturer claimed mileage is 17 for city in the brochure!

The figo Petrol claims 17KMpl but in real gives only 10-11KMpl. I drive a figo petrol and have started feeling the pinch of petrol prices

If this car is 5,00,000 on road then we might a new diesel king!
Old 9th March 2011, 12:11   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
The figo Petrol claims 17KMpl but in real gives only 10-11KMpl. I drive a figo petrol and have started feeling the pinch of petrol prices

If this car is 5,00,000 on road then we might a new diesel king!
Diesel Indica is always very fuel efficient. No petrol car can come close to that, so no point in comparing that. Also now a days Petrol - Diesel difference is 21 Rupees here in Pune. Calculating that Indica will cost less than half what need to run Figo Petrol. So please dont compare. Anyways comparing diesel vs petrol is not a good thing.

I have experienced that on Highway Diesel Indica gives average of 22-23. Wonder what the new one will give. May be 28-30 ??
Old 9th March 2011, 13:01   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Depressing the clutch while starting even in neutral will reduce the load on starter motor, and increase the life.
Never knew that. Thanks for the tip, bro. Will do it from now on. I've noticed that the car jerks if started in neutral with the handbrake on, especially on inclines. That suggests some connection between the driveline and the engine even when the car is in neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I guess the main concern among the masses may not be the number of variants that the Tata Indica has, but the number of engines in its line-up of cars. As Rameshnanda has suggested, Tata has multiple petrol and diesel engines on the Indica variants. Given the many complaints regarding Tata quality of cars and its service capabilities, the common fear is whether Tata would be in a position to service all these different engines at any one given time. As I see it, the TDI engine is on its way out and Indica TDI owners could well wonder what could be their fate in the next 3-4 years. Making parts available is one thing, making them available "quickly" is quite another. I wonder if Tata dealers have the means to stock key parts of various engines at one time.
Tata has 3 engines for its passenger car lineup (475 PL, 475 IDI (NA and TCIC) and DICOR) and I think that they all share parts, esp. the block. Then there's the 3 litre DI Turbo, the 2L TCIC and the 2.2 DiCOR for the UVs. There's also the Nano and the Ace, but they're in a different league. That's not too many engines for the number of models they have. The QJD is a Fiat motor, and a hugely successful one they're not likely to stop making any time soon, so that doesn't count.

Even if you have trouble sourcing a part at the dealership, the most it'll take is a week to ship from the factory. Since it's all made in India, it's easier to procure. The best part is, all of these engines are BS4 compliant. There's a BS4 version of the TDi, available in the Indica Turbomax and in the Venture. Even the Ace motor is derived from the TDi engine, and thus shares parts like the piston/c-rod/rings etc. As long as there's a BS4 version available, that means an assured support of at least ten years. When BS5 is standardised in the Metros, BS4 will still be available in the non-metros till BS6, right? And you can bet there will be a BS5 version of the Indica then too! Heck, it'll probably still be there when we eventually move on beyond the IC engine! Imagine an Indica with an antimatter drive!

Quote:
Having said that, it is indeed good that Tata has introduced changes in its Indica that could infuse renewed interest in the car. However, many may prefer to wait till the niggles on the first batch of Tata cars are sorted out.
True, Tata does beta test on customers. But in this case, the CR4 Indigo eCS has been in the market for a year almost without issues. The 1.4 DiCOR was the beta version, I'm thinking this is the RTM.
Old 9th March 2011, 17:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Tata has sold nearly 1 million 1.4 litre diesel engines in India till date. Its still continuing not only on the Indica, but also on the Venture and the Super Ace.

In fact probably as far as future concerns go, probably this engine is one amongst the better bets at this time.

Well said Trapezio. I too think that the city traffic/roads tested engines are the best bets. Over a period of time, these old generation vehicles have truly been tested under our daily city traffic conditions.
Old 10th March 2011, 18:44   #66
Senior - BHPian

how come a car come with both Power windows and Manual?
Attached Thumbnails
BS-IV Tata Indica to topple Nano as the FE champion? EDIT : Brochure on Pg. 3-tataindicaev2interior.jpg  

Old 10th March 2011, 19:01   #67
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Launched! News just in from Tata:

Quote:
The Tata Indica eV2 is in the range of Rs. 3.95 lakhs and Rs. 4.77 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi for the CR4 diesel engine and in the range of Rs. 2.95 lakhs and Rs. 3.58 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi, for the MPFI petrol.
Old 10th March 2011, 19:33   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
manual window winders are there if power window stops working in any unforseen circumstances.
Old 10th March 2011, 19:34   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Interesting observation, actually its more like PhotoShop error from the creative agency. unless..
Old 10th March 2011, 20:25   #70
BHPian

Top end features are not good for the price of 4.77Lakhs. ABS, rearwipe-wash, engine immobilizer, rear power windows and rear speakers must have been included.

Alloy wheels are not mandatory while above safety features are.

Come on TATA how come Sporty decals are a useful feature on top end?
Infotainment audio system with mere 2 speakers?

Shamefully cheating price-feature game by TATA for 12 year old chasis hatch back car.
Old 10th March 2011, 20:56   #71
BHPian

First, a question for the gurus:
ACI achieved 30 kpl + on the Fiesta TDCi, so the Figo has to be more FE than the CR4, right? I'm confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Launched! News just in from Tata:
Rs 4.7 lakh for an ageing car raises a lot of eyebrows. I'm pretty sure most people would find the Vista Terra with the Mjd lucrative instead of the old school Indica, with it's "taxi" tag. I told my mom that buying the CR4 would be a good option, as I'd expected the pricing to be about 4.3 lakh for the top end version. The minute I told her the price is Rs 4.6 lakh, she told me "Why a car with such a poor image when we can get a figo for the same price?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
manual window winders are there if power window stops working in any unforseen circumstances.
Does this say something about the reliability of the Indica's electricals? I've heard of cases of power window problems from car magazines. Heck even the Sierras and Estates, I've heard, had such problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Top end features are not good for the price of 4.77Lakhs. ABS, rearwipe-wash, engine immobilizer, rear power windows and rear speakers must have been included.
I'm just about OK with the present features, but if it had ABS (& an immobilizer), I'd pick it over the Figo just for the ABS.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 10th March 2011 at 20:57.
Old 10th March 2011, 21:07   #72
Senior - BHPian

I agree with the comments on pricing. Why should this top end be picked over the Vista Aqua which costs just over 14K, extra.
The Vista offers a whole lot of features too, is better looking and a better car overall. Don't quite understand Tata's logic here.

Last edited by safari_lover : 10th March 2011 at 21:11.
Old 11th March 2011, 02:01   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
If only they had included it in the sierra way back when it was launched
Old 11th March 2011, 10:55   #74
BHPian

Did anybody had a look at the torque figure of 140 NM? It starts as early as 1800 rpms.
So, definitely better than older generation indicas in which it starts at around 2500 rpm. Also, the vista tdi has torque of 130 NM and starts at 2500 rpm and quadrajet has 190 NM at 1700 rpms.
So, torque starts early which will make it more drivable than older generation indicas.
Old 11th March 2011, 12:06   #75
Senior - BHPian

Saw the news in ET:
Tata Indica eV2 launched at a starting price of Rs 2.95 lakh - The Economic Times

Diesel prices are little costly IMO. I guess Tata want to en cash the diesel benefit which users will get from that CR4 engine. After few months they will offer discounts on same model for sure.

Petrol model looks really VFM. Its almost same price as of Alto, Spark. With same money you can get much much bigger car. I hope they have improved the quality of that engine. Also other small small issues of quality, refinement & fit and finish with these new models. Any update on FE of Petrol model?

Most Viewed