Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2011, 21:41   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

BS-IV Tata Indica to topple Nano as the FE champion? EDIT : Brochure on Pg. 3

Amongst Indian built cars, the Tata Nano has the highest ARAI rating of 23.62 kpl. The BSIII Indigo CS DICOR is a close 2nd with 23.57 kpl, but the BSIV variant does 23.03 kpl. Nissan manages 3rd place with it's Micra diesel's rating of 23.08 kpl. Of course, bring in CBUs and the Prius tops the list with 23.91 kpl.

Now, Tata claims that their upcoming Indica BSIV DICOR wil be India's most fuel efficient car, thus beating the Nano in the ARAI standings (and potentially, the Prius too!). Expect a miserly tuned fuel pump, thin tyres and a super-tall 5th gear ratio mated to the Indigo CS' DICOR engine. This is what Tata says:

Quote:
The Tata Indica will soon become India’s most fuel efficient car with a BS4 compliant, CR4 diesel engine. The CR4 engine packs in 32% increase in power, 65% increase in torque along with a 46% improvement on fuel efficiency. It revs up to 70 PS power @ 4000 RPM and delivers 140 Nm torque at 1800-3000 RPM.
Old 25th February 2011, 22:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: BS-IV Tata Indica to topple Nano as the FE champion? EDIT : Brochure on Pg. 3

A 'refresh' is also expected . Hoping that they come up with new interiors this time!

Quote:
The new Tata Indica will offer fresh exterior and interior looks and class defining features.

Tata Motors : Media : Press Releases
Old 25th February 2011, 23:02   #3
BHPian

re: BS-IV Tata Indica to topple Nano as the FE champion? EDIT : Brochure on Pg. 3

This record won't stand for long. To be released Nano diesel will have the most FE of all cars and will maintain that for some time to come.
Old 25th February 2011, 23:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

So they are launching the whole of Indica series, including the top end versions, again?
May be they want to position this one as their car between the Nano and Vista, till the time 'dolphin' (or was it 'penguin'?) comes up!

Last edited by safari_lover : 25th February 2011 at 23:48.
Old 25th February 2011, 23:55   #5
BHPian

Well I really take info from the forum as facts since the number of people and the collective amount of knowledge is just unbeatable. When ever there is mistake I get to see the correction really soon by expets around.

One thing which I cant understand is ARAI ratings at all. The mentioned ratings and actual road figures vary to such an extent its difficult to believe. A friend of mine owns a Nano and he gets almost the ARAI figures in regular city commute and when he ventured on highway once he himself ended up suprising his family by 25+ figures.

So GTO I will still say Nano FE ratings would be unmatchable even in the petrol version forget about diesel(let ARAI state whatever they want).

Last edited by Zappo : 27th February 2011 at 00:39. Reason: ARIA corrected to ARAI
Old 26th February 2011, 00:38   #6
MAS
Senior - BHPian

46% increase in fuel economy!!! If the current Indica returns around 20 kmpl, the new CR4 would actually give 29.2 kmpl???

Wow, that is seriously an achievement if ARAI certifies it as true...

Last edited by Zappo : 27th February 2011 at 00:35. Reason: Typographic error corrected.
Old 26th February 2011, 00:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow, TATA manages to stay in the limelight one way or the other.

With those figures, I'm sure a lot of cab wallas will be sporting a huge grin.

So whats the fuel cost/km?. less than 1.5 rupees?. With 5 on-board, it can be the cheapest mode transport, beating even the cheapest means of public transport.

Last edited by dhanushs : 26th February 2011 at 00:51.
Old 26th February 2011, 01:24   #8
BANNED

Current BS III indica diesel's ARAI mileage is 17.88 km/ltr. 46% increase means mileage of 26.10 Km/ltr..

See the mileage table in the following url..

http://www.siamonline.in/Fuel_Economy/4W-FE-Data.pdf
Old 26th February 2011, 01:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Amongst Indian built cars, the Tata Nano has the highest ARAI rating of 23.62 kpl. The BSIII Indigo CS DICOR is a close 2nd with 23.57 kpl, but the BSIV variant does 23.03 kpl. Nissan manages 3rd place with it's Micra diesel's rating of 23.08 kpl. Of course, bring in CBUs and the Prius tops the list with 23.91 kpl.

Now, Tata claims that their upcoming Indica BSIV DICOR wil be India's most fuel efficient car, thus beating the Nano in the ARAI standings (and potentially, the Prius too!). Expect a miserly tuned fuel pump, thin tyres and a super-tall 5th gear ratio mated to the Indigo CS' DICOR engine. This is what Tata says:
does this mean the beat diesel and the nano diesel cars to come in future will be THE most Fuel Efficient Cars in the History ever? kudos to tata for pulling this off. this is never the less a mile stone ( the indica bsIV i mean).
Old 26th February 2011, 02:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Sid View Post
One thing which I cant understand is ARAI ratings at all. The mentioned ratings and actual road figures vary to such an extent its difficult to believe. A friend of mine owns a Nano and he gets almost the ARIA figures in regular city commute and when he ventured on highway once he himself ended up suprising his family by 25+ figures.
I think they use a model pretty close to real world for their FE tests and have the figure as a mixed cycle result. Even I have surprised myself with 20.1kmpl from my Swift 1.2 on the highway against its rated 18kmpl.

The new CR4 Indica sounds like a very good idea. Any improvements to the gearbox reported ? How much of a bump in the price ?
Old 26th February 2011, 05:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One thing which I cant understand is ARAI ratings at all. The mentioned ratings and actual road figures vary to such an extent its difficult to believe. A friend of mine owns a Nano and he gets almost the ARIA figures in regular city commute and when he ventured on highway once he himself ended up suprising his family by 25+ figures.
Agree - I guess ARAI rating is based on a mix of highway + city mileage average. I get a constant 23 kmpl [driving mostly on good roads at 100-120 kmph] for my swift on highway run with 1/2 people and A/C ON for 80% time and even managed a 25kmpl once driving at 80-90kmph on the same roads.

Quote:
So GTO I will still say Nano FE ratings would be unmatchable even in the petrol version forget about diesel(let ARAI state whatever they want).
Disagree - Please note that ARAI parameters will be the same for all cars they test. That means the same way a NANO is tested will be used for an Indica as well. So the figures they release will be based on these similar tests, but as mentioned in the first post, they could differ by a good margin, but the scale will remain same. So If the difference between Nano & Indica is 5 kmpl, then under the same conditions, I would expect the mileage to retain this difference at any point of driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
does this mean the beat diesel and the nano diesel cars to come in future will be THE most Fuel Efficient Cars in the History ever?
Do we have any unofficial pointers towards the Beat D mileage ? Or you are assuming since Beat D is going to be a 3 pot motor of our national engine ?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th February 2011 at 05:33.
Old 26th February 2011, 10:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One thing which I cant understand is ARAI ratings at all. The mentioned ratings and actual road figures vary to such an extent its difficult to believe.
A few months back, I read an article in Autocar India on how ARAI tests the cars for FE. IIRC, it is a theoretical exercise with the test cars never leaving the lab or touch the roads. ARAI collects sample from the exhaust while running the test cars on a dyno at a constant speed (guess, in the tallest gear possible). ARAI then records the various chemical composition in the exhaust gas and apply their formula to arrive at the FE.

I was surprised to read this and no wonder the ARAI rating is far fetched from the real world conditions. I can't find the particular ACI magazine right now, but it would be great if someone else could validate and confirm this.
Old 26th February 2011, 11:05   #13
BHPian

i10 has a ARAI certified mileage of 20.36. Haven't heard of any i10 owner who even came close to this figure. Read somewhere that some manufacturers use 'champion cars' for the ARAI test, i.e cars that have a different tuning of the same engine, from the ones sold to customers.

Guess the ARAI figures are more or less the same for real world usage of diesel cars, but for petrol engines it varies a lot from the 'official' figures.

Last edited by Daewood : 26th February 2011 at 11:13.
Old 26th February 2011, 11:33   #14
BHPian

Atleast JAIRAM RAMESH is going to be extremely happy with this news :P . Tata's trying to compensate JLR/SUV segment product with this, lol.

I just hope they have another pure family Hatchback car and not just a single all-in-one Taxi lover Hatchback car.

Last edited by vahss_11 : 26th February 2011 at 11:34.
Old 27th February 2011, 00:19   #15
BHPian

Ok guys sorry to ruin the suspense built up here but the new extra FE Indica is none other than the Indica v2.

Just got this news bite from ACI;

BS-IV Tata Indica to topple Nano as the FE champion? EDIT : Brochure on Pg. 3-indicav2turbomax_0.jpg

Quote:
Tata Motors will soon launch a powerful diesel version of its Indica hatch, called the Indica V2 Turbomax. The diesel hatch will also adhere to the stricter BSIV emission norms.

The new 1405cc CR4 diesel motor will develop a healthy 70bhp and 13.7kgm of max torque. As per the car manufacturer claims, the new Indica V2 Turbomax will be India’s most fuel efficient car with 46percent improvement on fuel efficiency over the older Indica V2.

The Indica V2 Turbomax will sport bigger 14inch wheels, fresh exterior and interior looks and come loaded with added features. At present, the Indica V2 diesel is powered by a 1396cc unit producing 52bhp and 8.5kgm of max torque. This gives the new Indica V2 Turbomax a power boost of 32percent and 65percent increase in torque as compared to the older V2.

Official prices of the Indica V2 Turbomax are yet to be announced, but be ready to pay a small premium over the Indica V2 prices. The new Indica V2 Turbomax will hit the showrooms by the first week of March 2011.

Last edited by Zappex : 27th February 2011 at 00:25. Reason: Addition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks