Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2011, 12:42   #46

re: BS-IV Tata Indica to topple Nano as the FE champion? EDIT : Brochure on Pg. 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
A basic question. The old Indica diesel engines were indirect injection engines. Are CR4 engines direct injection engines? Couldn't find any specs for this.

Pradeep
It mentions common rail in the brochure... which means it is direct injection engine.
Old 7th March 2011, 12:45   #47
BHPian

re: BS-IV Tata Indica to topple Nano as the FE champion? EDIT : Brochure on Pg. 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
A basic question. The old Indica diesel engines were indirect injection engines. Are CR4 engines direct injection engines? Couldn't find any specs for this.

Pradeep
Yes, earlier TDI engines were not Common Rail engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post

I repeat - if only TML had a VISTA eV2 variant...
Vista is having two choices of diesel engines TDI( Almost Inhouse) and Quadrajet( From Fiat). Hence they can think of a CR4 engine. But, the NVH and other parameters have to be looked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
'e' as in eV2 or eCS is Tata Nomenclature for vehicles having their CR4 (indigenous Common Rail engine) and stands for 'Eco' since these vehicle's high fuel efficiency translates to them being more eco-friendly.

On a lighter note, Yes people do associate same with 'economy' as has been pointed in the thread and why not, after all it is economical !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
e-V2 e=Economy
e V2 means electronically controlled. There is more electronic integration in the Engine Control Unit/ Engine Management Systems covering more no. of paramaters. Just had this clarification from one of their service guys.
Old 7th March 2011, 13:23   #48
Senior - BHPian

eV2 is just a gimmik for the refreshed V2 like the indigo cs to eCS.

All V2s since BS3 have ECU controlled 475 IDI diesel motor. The cranking sound is also different as compared to old BS 2 motors.
Old 7th March 2011, 14:09   #49
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on price? Tata need to price it right. 25 + Kmpl for Diesel is great considering Petrol's booming prices. It will be cheaper than running 200 CC bike with average of 25-30 for Petrol

Cab people will surely welcome this car. After all they can earn much more with improved efficiency. With petrol pricing more & more in future, many family users can also think of buying this one. Me already thinking of buying one as a second car at home for wife
Old 7th March 2011, 20:46   #50
BHPian

Re: BS-IV Tata Indica to topple Nano as the FE champion? EDIT : Brochure on Pg. 3

What is the efficiency of the Prius? Isnt that the most efficient car in the market today?
Old 7th March 2011, 21:58   #51
BHPian

Re: BS-IV Tata Indica to topple Nano as the FE champion? EDIT : Brochure on Pg. 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Vista is having two choices of diesel engines TDI( Almost Inhouse) and Quadrajet( From Fiat). Hence they can think of a CR4 engine. But, the NVH and other parameters have to be looked at.
That's what I mean. Earlier Indica cars (pre vista) used to have the TDI and DICOR engines. But for a while there were no Dicor vistas. Now with CR4 TML is bringing back the Dicor re-badged as CR4/EV2. Current VISTA only has the TDI diesel variant.

All I am saying is that the CR4 engine will make more sense in VISTA with the additional fuel economy to go with a modern hatch rather than the old gen hatch in case of Indica V2.
Old 7th March 2011, 22:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

If any of you ever wanted to buy a first gen indica to last, now would be a good time. I seriously doubt the CR4's reliablity
Quote:
Current VISTA only has the TDI diesel variant.
nope, vista has the quadrajet only. TDI vistas were discontinued
Old 7th March 2011, 22:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
If any of you ever wanted to buy a first gen indica to last, now would be a good time. I seriously doubt the CR4's reliablity

nope, vista has the quadrajet only. TDI vistas were discontinued
TDi Vista continue to sell in non-metro cities which do not have BSIV restrictions.
Old 7th March 2011, 22:23   #54
Senior - BHPian

Wonder if this car makes sense. It costs 5,00,000 on the road in Bangalore, the same a petrol FIGO and the manufacturer claimed mileage is 17 for city in the brochure!
Old 8th March 2011, 00:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Why does one have to depress the clutch when starting?Why is necessary?

So if i depress the clutch,crank the engine is it required you have to engage a gear or you depress clutch,crank and release clutch and idle?
Old 8th March 2011, 11:52   #56
Senior - BHPian

Can we have most detailed review in the Industry for this car from GTO / Sid ?

It will be really great to verify how the car is in reality. As some mentioned, Vista will make more sense with this kind of engine & can bring more sells for Tata. I am sure that Tata will bring this engine in Vista soon knowing there previous history
Old 8th March 2011, 12:42   #57
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post

So if i depress the clutch,crank the engine is it required you have to engage a gear or you depress clutch,crank and release clutch and idle?
No one just has to press the clutch to disengage any gears that may have been preslotted by yourself / the pervious person who parked/stopped the car.

This is a safety feature where in if your car is in gear and given a crank it will not surge/jerk ahead by itself. At times people forget the car is in gear and while standing outside give the key a turn to switch on the AC, electonics etc and the car could jump ahead dangerously.

This is a good thing to have.
Old 8th March 2011, 12:50   #58
BHPian

I like it. The car loks better now that the arches are gone. The issue with them was that they tended to make the car look even more under-tyred. I think that Tata has ironed out most of the niggles in the DiCOR by now, esp. the oil consumption which was due to head gasket issues.The e-V2 should be once again king of the (diesel hatch) city traffic like the Indica DiCOR was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
How many more versions of Indica we are going to have?

Indica V2, Indica e-V2, Indica e-V2 Xeta, Indica e-V2 Xeta LPG,
Indica Vista QJD, Indica Vista Safire, Indica Vista TDI, Indica Vista 90.

Is there any more versions of Indica?
Nothing wrong with offering choices to the customer, is there? The Indica brand now has a car for every kind of buyer. Shouldn't that be a good thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post

It's just a safety feature. The car won't crank unless the clutch is depressed. Which means less chance of cranking with the car in gear and hitting something due to the jerking. Some other cars have this feature too. Regardless of whether you're in gear or in neutral, you have to depress the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Wonder if this car makes sense. It costs 5,00,000 on the road in Bangalore, the same a petrol FIGO and the manufacturer claimed mileage is 17 for city in the brochure!
Pricing might turn out to be the achilles heel of the e-V2. I mean, my Indigo CS TDi cost 5.08 OTR last year. That and the higher cost of regular service items like oil/fuel filters for the DiCOR vis-a-vis the TDi. Still, if you drive a lot, the lower fuel costs will offset the higher initial cost and the service costs. Service interval is 10K for the DiCOR too, AFAIK.
Old 8th March 2011, 13:54   #59
Team-BHP Support

Depressing the clutch while starting even in neutral will reduce the load on starter motor, and increase the life.
Old 8th March 2011, 22:07   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I like it. The car loks better now that the arches are gone. The issue with them was that they tended to make the car look even more under-tyred. I think that Tata has ironed out most of the niggles in the DiCOR by now, esp. the oil consumption which was due to head gasket issues.The e-V2 should be once again king of the (diesel hatch) city traffic like the Indica DiCOR was.

Nothing wrong with offering choices to the customer, is there? The Indica brand now has a car for every kind of buyer. Shouldn't that be a good thing?
I guess the main concern among the masses may not be the number of variants that the Tata Indica has, but the number of engines in its line-up of cars. As Rameshnanda has suggested, Tata has multiple petrol and diesel engines on the Indica variants. Given the many complaints regarding Tata quality of cars and its service capabilities, the common fear is whether Tata would be in a position to service all these different engines at any one given time. As I see it, the TDI engine is on its way out and Indica TDI owners could well wonder what could be their fate in the next 3-4 years. Making parts available is one thing, making them available "quickly" is quite another. I wonder if Tata dealers have the means to stock key parts of various engines at one time.

Having said that, it is indeed good that Tata has introduced changes in its Indica that could infuse renewed interest in the car. However, many may prefer to wait till the niggles on the first batch of Tata cars are sorted out.

Most Viewed