Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th May 2021, 13:32   #61
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Transfer of registration after death of vehicle's owner?

My Father In Law passed away in February, and had included my wife’s name as a nominee in the insurance. However, as my wife is not in India at the moment, we would rather have the ownership transferred to either my Mother In Law or my Brother In Law.

What documents are required for this process and how do we go about it?
Old 4th May 2021, 13:38   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
My Father In Law passed away in February, and had included my wife’s name as a nominee in the insurance.
Benny, are you mixing up nominee for insurance vs nominee for ownership ?

The concept of nominee for ownership has come up in the news in the past few days.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 13:46   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Benny, are you mixing up nominee for insurance vs nominee for ownership ?

The concept of nominee for ownership has come up in the news in the past few days.
Quite possible. Thanks for clarifying.
In that case, the second part of my question becomes applicable, in terms of what documents are required?
Old 4th May 2021, 14:05   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Quite possible. Thanks for clarifying.
In that case, the second part of my question becomes applicable, in terms of what documents are required?
A transfer by itself is quite simple. But in case of death of owner, I believe it will be treated like any other asset. if the will states ownership - then easy. Most times people dont specify vehicles in the will. So it would then go the legal process of death certificate, family tree, NOC by family members etc.

Some one who has been through this can help better.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 16:47   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A transfer by itself is quite simple. But in case of death of owner, I believe it will be treated like any other asset. if the will states ownership - then easy. Most times people dont specify vehicles in the will. So it would then go the legal process of death certificate, family tree, NOC by family members etc.

Some one who has been through this can help better.
Where the deceased has left no will
The legal way to do this in Kerala at least is to inform the RTO of the death, then show the legal heir certificates and if you have decided who should get the car, then affidavits with no objection by the other legal heirs.
After this, the RTO will call for an in-person hearing. For those legal heirs who are not present, they need to send another affidavit from the consulate where they are located saying they cannot attend.
Once all this is done, then the car transfer can proceed

Where the deceased has left a will
No in person hearing is required. Refer to skiitian's post (Transfer of registration after death of vehicle's owner?)

Alternate but not strictly legal
You will have to round trip the transfers through trusted extended family to make it easy.

This is what I have learnt. Some RTOs in other states do not have this misery of in-person hearings required but in general, without legal heir certificates ( which take an inordinate amount of time) no transfer can happen if you want to follow the rules diligently.
kvothe_rules is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 20:53   #66
Senior - BHPian

Required some information on the steps to be done to sell a scooter who's owner is no more.
Is there an online option to complete the transfer to the kin or does it have to be done by going to RTO and what documents are required. It for a friend who's father passed away recently and the mother wants to sell his scooter and I am assisting in that since she is not aware of the procedures. The mother will be signing the sale papers.

Last edited by tharian : 13th July 2021 at 20:57.

Most Viewed