Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2011, 18:44   #31
BHPian

Re: February 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Tata Venture with 299 sales figures. It is getting launched state by state. But still doesn't have website with details or nation wide PR campaigns for this high potential vehicle.

Now even in the the refreshed Tata website it is still missing and we have to look for 3rd party sites & blogs for the vehicle details and cost.

Same thing for the Tata ACE 1ton, Tata website only has details about old Ace & Magic.
Old 1st March 2011, 18:45   #32
BHPian

ANHC sales have taken a definite hit due to the 58000 recall. Honda should better do something fast to arrest this erosion in confidence in customers.

Looks like SX4 has gained big at the expense of ANHC and only the Petrol version was sold last month.

Once Diesel SX4 starts selling this month, ANHC numbers will be interesting to watch out for !!
Old 1st March 2011, 19:00   #33
BHPian

The new engine and LPG dont seem to have given a spurt to Beat sales. Holding steady at 3100+. GM must be hoping diesel will have an impact, given it seems the petrol prices are going up again :(
Old 1st March 2011, 19:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIAN_VAGABOND View Post
ANHC sales have taken a definite hit due to the 58000 recall. Honda should better do something fast to arrest this erosion in confidence in customers.

Looks like SX4 has gained big at the expense of ANHC and only the Petrol version was sold last month.

Once Diesel SX4 starts selling this month, ANHC numbers will be interesting to watch out for !!
+1

Honda announced recall on 17 feb and i think many people must have canceled their booking or many prospective owners shifted to SX4/Vento and so on.

This shows how quick Indian consumers react towards market situations. But i am sure Honda will bump again in couple of months.
Old 1st March 2011, 19:29   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

A keen observation from the numbers is that VW has surpassed Honda in the total number of vehicles sold in the month.

For Honda, the only product getting decent numbers is City. If City is taken out, the numbers look very dismal to say the least.
Old 1st March 2011, 19:32   #36
BHPian

Wow!! Vento and SX4 already caught up with Honda City. That is a big achievement for both Maruti and Volkswagen. Keep it up!

I will never understand how i10 can sell so high every month - a B1 car with price tag of B2 segment - the smallest car among the 1.2L segment.
Old 1st March 2011, 19:37   #37
BHPian

Tata sold paltry 171 Arias. Insane pricing to blame. Howmany Arias TATA exported? any idea?

Sumo figures are better any break up of How many Sumo Grande's ?

Nano with 4 year warranty sells still below 9K mark. More expensive Maruti Alto sells 3 times more. Nano's poor engine and rear no door has failed to appeal to the buyers.
Old 1st March 2011, 19:42   #38
Team-BHP Support

Interesting month indeed!
  • In the premium hatch segment, quite amazing to see Swift doing good nos. even though the 2011 model is around the corner.
  • Figo going very strong, and encouraging numbers for Fabia as well
  • Interesting to see Micra gaining ground - almost double to the Punto, and getting closer to the Polo.
  • Sad to see Jazz doing just 400. Such a good product indeed.
  • Fiat disappoints big time. Punto and Linea, doing super low volume in their respective segment. If not now, when they'll be able to get their act together? Linea can get another big blow with the upcoming 2011 Fiesta launch.
  • Vento and SX4 doing extremely well against City. And with the negative publicity of recalls, it could overtake City in March (provided they can keep up with the delivery schedules). And hope SX4 will gain even better with the diesel launch.
  • Corolla gaining clear lead against traditional rival Civic. And even Laura doing better than Civic. My bet is on the new Jetta to stir up this segment in the 2nd half of the year.
  • Accord and Superb going shoulder to shoulder. Other players look pretty insignificant in this segment.
  • SUV segment lies with the traditional players - Fortuner and Safari.
  • Yeti looks pretty good with these numbers, and just opposite for Aria numbers. I was expecting the numbers to be in 1000s.
Some other interesting facts noted:
  • Volvo's safety bets are not finding any luck with the Indian customers. 10 nos. for XC60 is quite disappointing. And I guess the S60 numbers are all pre-launch bookings.
  • We don't like Sports offering from mainstream Japanese - Just 1 Evo X and 370Z sold!
  • And finally, we don't like going green - Prius: 0
Old 1st March 2011, 19:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Nano with 4 year warranty sells still below 9K mark. More expensive Maruti Alto sells 3 times more. Nano's poor engine and rear no door has failed to appeal to the buyers.
Give Nano some time and it will do very good numbers. I still remember how dismal Alto sales were during the initial couple of years after its launch. Please, don't write off Nano.
Old 1st March 2011, 19:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Silly question.
Has the Logan sales figures got anything to do with Meru cabs? 90% of the Meru cabs are Logans, and with Meru spreading to various cities, thought this might affect sales figures. Just wondering.... like i said earlier, silly question.
Old 1st March 2011, 20:03   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

It really galls me that the Linea barely manages to hold its own against an antiquated model like the Accent instead of taking on the big guys in the C segment. Congratulations to VW- with the supply situation easing up (though far from normal yet) look forward to record volumes from the Polo-Vento combine! As predicted by many, Vento outnumbers its smaller sibling- it's good that Honda is being made to sweat as well!
Old 1st March 2011, 20:32   #42
BHPian

Good to see Nano numbers. I think Nano will stabilize at around 10,000 for a while and then gradually increase as and when new models, diesel etc are introduced.

Why is Etios not doing well? Is it just capacity issue? Alto, as usual is doing great.
Old 1st March 2011, 20:52   #43
BHPian

City facing the heat from Vento Diesel
And I guess, Yeti is eating its own Superb.
Old 1st March 2011, 21:59   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
This shows how quick Indian consumers react towards market situations. But i am sure Honda will bump again in couple of months.
+1. I would say Don't write off Honda City and not so soon. It could be also that Honda had reduced deliveries to dealers this month to correct the fault at the factory end and / or concentrating their efforts on the recall.
Old 1st March 2011, 22:02   #45
BHPian

Seems like an overall good month. Almost all of the automakers have good nos other than Honda.

Other than ARIA TML seems to have had a good month. Is ARIA nos. low because the initial bookings are over? I used to think that ARIA would not be able to justify the investment if "the platform" sold less than 1000 per month. But seeing the ARIA numbers falling I hope TML start bringing other vehicles / variants in the same platform - 2WD ARIA anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
How many Arias TATA exported? any idea?
ARIA exports has not commenced yet AFAIK.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed