Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2011, 15:35   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: February 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkrish View Post
SUV's sell about 4000 - 6000 per month all over India with Fortuner and CRV having a bulk of the shares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The CRV is no longer the king of Luxury SUV segment, it's not even close to others. The best selling Desi SUV's are Scorpio and Bolero and the Luxury segment is ruled by Fortuner. Surprisingly the Yeti managed better figures than other softroaders.
Is it fair to refer CRV as an SUV and compare (in sales) it with the likes of Fortuner and Endeavour which are more rugged in design and built.?

Captiva,CRV,Tuscon,Santa Fe and Outlander are compact crossover SUV's and are generally based on sedan platforms.These vehicles are in a different league all together.The market for these crossovers is still evolving in India.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 2nd March 2011 at 15:38.
Old 2nd March 2011, 15:41   #92
MCR
BHPian

My Ananlysis:

Alto sales has simply boosted since the discontinuation of M800. It is now the cheapest urban + highway entry level car.
i10 is a very capable car. It scores on the features and quality as compared to its competitors WagonR, Estilo et all. Also add to this the two engine option and AT, you have a winner on hands.
Spark and Beat often end up cannibalising the sales of each other. Its just a matter of a few thousand rupees between the two now. May be GM should think of Pricing the Spark a bit lower.
Figo is the best VFM hatch. Its the pricing + Diesel which is pushing the sales. Also add to it the almost negligible wait period and far lesser complaints.
Vento is giving the City a lot of headache. Thanks to the Diesel AT + excellent European build quality. But waiting period will be a concern in the days to come.
Fortuner is the king of SUV's. Nothing else comes close by. CRV is dated and available only in Petrol. Endy also looks a bit dated. Captiva is the closest but GM have failed to market it properly.

Fiat need to improve their marketing effort. A lot of people end up buying Indica Vista or Manza since almost the same technology and features are available for lesser price.
Mitsubishi, less said the better. Their product development division is either sleeping or non existent!
Mahindra need to retinker the Xylo. People have started to notice its flaws. Also introduction of the D2 is not well received.
Old 2nd March 2011, 15:59   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
My 2 cents: Month after month, many people wait to see Honda City get a beating. This time we have lot of people writing about i10. This is nothing but human psychology - "Jealous of the Winner" (as was also told in '3 idiots')

Many people who are jealous of i10 or Honda City success may not own it. But, they would still want someone to beat these models. They pity for models which do not sell well, but become jealous and perturbed with models which sell well.

It is similar to scenario, wherein if Australia reign at top of World cricket and people will always support any other team which plays against them.
It's bit rude to say that people who are jealous don't own it. I personally would like Honda to take a beating from Vento so that they come back to their senses and introduce features such as ACC/CD Player, better looking interiors (that silver finish on central console is an eyesore along with manual AC knobs), and other goodies which a 10 lakh car should have, at no major additional price change. Isn't it time that Honda has some serious competition, and stops taking the Indian customers for granted? Haven't we contributed to the pricing strategy that Honda has for City (and Jazz, and facelifted Civic)?

Last edited by Tats07 : 2nd March 2011 at 16:11. Reason: Typo error
Old 2nd March 2011, 16:07   #94
BHPian

Some observations -

Small Car
Alto rules and the Maruti marketing genius get it right with the K10
i10 continues to clock very high nos,people have chosen it to be the best small car in the 4-5L bracket
Swift continues to post very high nos
Figo as usual is very impressive but it seems to have killed the Fiesta(down to 1K levels).
Ritz has setlled in the 6K region,A Star in the 4K,Beat and Spark in the 3K region.
Estilo continues to post very respectable nos(4500)

Entry Level Sedan
DZire rules although Indigo continues to give a tough fight.

Midsize
This is where this month has turned out to be really interesting.
Honda has falled to 3.6K while SX4 and Vento are within striking distance.
With SX4 diesel,I have an inkling that it would settle around 4.5K
Vento seems to be doing extremely well with all the delivery issues still there.
Old 2nd March 2011, 16:54   #95
BHPian

Quote:
WagonR : 14131
WagonR is being bashed by every one and still manages numbers...

Amazing!
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:10   #96
BHPian

Its really disheartening to see the Fiat numbers. especially when people on the forum have rightly pointed out that SX4 & the Vento have touched very good figures. Similarly even the Micra with such a sparse dealer network sells more than the Punto. & lets just not talk 5about what the i20 has been doing.

In the coming months, i believe that the Linea is going to face even more pressure as the waiting periods for the Vento come down and SX4 diesel comes into the picture. Vento has a smashing diesel block & the SX4 is a Maruti,enuff said.

A big stumbling block with Fiat for people is the perceived bad A.S.S Which is not entirely untrue but we do have more than a few satisfied people with Fiat cars. (& service). A friend of mine who has been looking for a sedan in the same bracket had not even given a thought to the Linea. The only reason that is keeping him from a Vento is the long waiting list. He also finds the Linea 'underpowered' when he has figures for the engine output of the Vento & the Etios.

Fiat had set itself a pretty optimistic target of approx 40-50k cars if i am right for the year. & that seems to be only thing they have done right- Setting optimistic targets. No dedicated sales-/service outlets even though we have been hearing a lot of noise on the same

Unless Fiat goes all out to salvage its repo, it will always be what it is right now. A bottom feeder.
Old 2nd March 2011, 18:25   #97
BHPian

Fiat is haunted by Palio Ghost. Analysis of repeat business would be key to understand how Fiat as a brand is perceived

All said and done, we have been talking in every months sales figure thread about Fiat and they need to do something, still we see these numbers.

you are betting your money whom would you choose, a winner or better breed? Answer is obvious

On the other hand, GM, FORD have shown true efforts to capture the segments. The improvement is visible in their case where as with Fiat it is not visible. We dont even see promos for Linea now a days. Few Punto promos are aired.
If tata can sell Nano, it does not require rocket science to sell Linea and Punto

Lets accept the facts and move on and let Fiat show the commitment in action than words.

Before Fiat fans start bashing me, let me clarify I am one of those haunted by Palio ghost. It is still not healed. Would I ever put my hard earned money on Fiat, no brownie points for guessing the answer. Even if Alfa is sold at 1.5 million INR, I will still prefer buying similar price bracket Chevy / FORD / MARUTI / Hyundai

Last edited by Firebird : 2nd March 2011 at 18:26. Reason: edited tags
Old 2nd March 2011, 18:45   #98
MDe
BHPian

@GTO: This thread is really helpful in a lot of way

Cruze definitely seems to have increased sales as compared to the 715 figure from last time. Civic and Laura are still under this number so Cruze is ruling on this. Last time we also saw Corolla past the 1100 mark if I remember correctly and even that has come down this time. I am trying to understanding who is making up for the decrease in sales on the the Corollas?
Old 2nd March 2011, 19:36   #99
BANNED

surprised to see City number taking a beating already!

real sales numbers for Kizashi will be reflected in march sales i suppose. Grand Vitara sold 5 nos!

correct me if if I am wrong, I do not see a spike in pre budget sales. the figures are very similar to what was in Jan if memory serves me right.
Old 2nd March 2011, 19:49   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Good to see Nano sales touching 8,000 mark. Looks like media blitzkrieg that was started around December is doing its magic.

Guys, I know someone who is closely associated with TATA motors and he told me that since December(i think that is when the nano sales were around 500) TATA motors has made it mandatory for its employees (on higher positions) and vendors to buy the NANO. Tata motors is financing the car @4%. This is the reason why suddenly NANO sales have picked up from 500 odd cars in December to 7000+ in Jan and Feb.

Thanks,
KC
Old 2nd March 2011, 20:55   #101
Senior - BHPian

I have a question regarding the data, especially for Indian companies. Can't this data be a little bloated for Indian companies (read Tata,M&M) considering that this is almost year end time for them?

If yes, then the data released in May or June will actually depict the real picture.
Old 2nd March 2011, 22:27   #102
Senior - BHPian

Feb SX4 sales definitely includes Diesels - neoranjit got delivery of his SX4 ZDi today, which means the car would have reached the dealer at least 3 - 4 days ago.
Old 2nd March 2011, 22:29   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.chandiok View Post
TATA motors has made it mandatory for its employees (on higher positions) and vendors to buy the NANO. Tata motors is financing the car @4%.
That might be true. But 13000 is a big number (Jan + Feb sales). Would be tough to achieve this with just these gimmicks.

This might be a contributing factor though.
Old 2nd March 2011, 22:46   #104
BHPian

In terms of value, VW, which is less than a year old is outselling decade old companies like Ford, GM and Honda. That's an excellent performance for a brand which is not as popular in India as the ones it is outselling.
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:25   #105
BHPian

a. i doubt if ANHC is going to clock 10k if they come up with a diesel motor. it would mostly be an untested motor, since they dont have any diesel motor in kitty AFAIK. if they resort to what everybody did and borrow the national engine.. well.

b. its high time FIAT went nanoish in terms of marketing.they ought to be all over the media. and maybe send some of their own as plain-clothes-men to the dealerships and see if the dealers actually do try to convince them to buy a FIAT? maybe some road shows? maybe let us owners talk in ads?

c. I'd call FIAT A-S-S tricky, not bad. Atleast they don't try to vacuum your wallet like hyundai A-S-S do.

P.S: the italians called today while i was out in the market. gonna fill them in on all this when they call again.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed