Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2011, 00:49   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: February 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I have a question regarding the data, especially for Indian companies. Can't this data be a little bloated for Indian companies (read Tata,M&M) considering that this is almost year end time for them?

If yes, then the data released in May or June will actually depict the real picture.
I think these numbers could be artificially high for some Indian manufacturers. As Jan - March is the last qtr of the year for them, so they may be pushing more cars to the dealers during these 3 months.

Just sample how Tata Motors sales dropped last year after March

Jan Feb Mar Apr May
Indica: 11448 11502 11618 9036 8468
Indigo: 7240 7350 7500 7101 6505
Safari : 1182 1176 1213 982 762
Sumo : 2316 2794 2645 2348 1941

Last edited by rrsteer : 3rd March 2011 at 00:53.
Old 3rd March 2011, 00:57   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.chandiok View Post
Guys, I know someone who is closely associated with TATA motors and he told me that since December(i think that is when the nano sales were around 500) TATA motors has made it mandatory for its employees (on higher positions) and vendors to buy the NANO. Tata motors is financing the car @4%. This is the reason why suddenly NANO sales have picked up from 500 odd cars in December to 7000+ in Jan and Feb.

Thanks,
KC
Sounds strange. Why would any one buy a car if not needed unless it is given for free. I don't think they can or will make it mandatory. They can only offer a better deal and entice their employees. Please clarify?
Old 3rd March 2011, 01:06   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr View Post
...maybe send some of their own as plain-clothes-men to the dealerships and see if the dealers actually do try to convince them to buy a FIAT?
You think they are still living in Wonderland? Trust me, they know.

Question is are they willing to bite the bullet and take the redpill. However time-and-again, they have avoided doing it the hard way.

The numbers are a well-deserved spanking from Indian consumers, and I can bet my last rupee, the suits at Fiat-India are equally convinced about going solo. Funding / commitment is the only aspect I see missing from their global bosses.

Take our beauty queens, and groom them at Rs.20 a cut barber shop. That's what Fiat is asking Indian consumers to live with.

PS: The venom stems from the cold sale-efforts on part of Tata-Fiat while deciding on the Linea, and the thought of taking a Linea to a Tata Motors service station.
Old 3rd March 2011, 04:15   #109
BHPian

What if Fiat stops supplying its diesel engine to the likes of Suzuki? That would surely set the cat amongst the pigeons.
Old 3rd March 2011, 04:58   #110
BHPian

It is great to know that VW is doing well in India after Polo and Vento were launched. They need to now bring in latest Jetta and Passat followed by Tiguan to complete their line up.

It is high time that Mitsubishi phase out Lancer and Cedia and bring in the latest Lancer Ex model that was launched globally in 2007. Lancer Ex and perhaps ASX soon enough will give them some volume in the Indian market.
Old 3rd March 2011, 05:52   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
What if Fiat stops supplying its diesel engine to the likes of Suzuki? That would surely set the cat amongst the pigeons.
Suzuki has its own diesel engine plant which manufactures the 1.3 diesel.Fiat plays no part in it.Except ofcourse i think there just a royalty payment.
Old 3rd March 2011, 06:02   #112
BHPian

The poor & cramped interior, faulty ergonomics and large turning radius of Linea and Punto are putting off buyers. Their cars have the best in class diesel engine, gadgets and suspension but still don't sell because of the above mentioned faults.

They should look at Skoda. Their cars still sell despite the horrible A S S. Their Fabia was rotting but now has picked up when they addressed it's weak issues. FIAT India has themselves to blame only. If they present a product above acceptable limits, customers will start buying and dealer interest will automatically pick up.

They have been in India since ages but still can't sell their cars while late entrants like VW, SKODA and even NISSAN has overtaken them. FIAT is behaving like HM which refuses to change itself and its products, and that's why it is rotting.

Despite the diesel engine Altis has not improved it's sales figures so the weak engine has not been liked by customers. Good to see Micra, Fabia, Vento and Polo picking up.

Last edited by akj53 : 3rd March 2011 at 06:11.
Old 3rd March 2011, 09:26   #113
UKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
The poor & cramped interior, faulty ergonomics and large turning radius of Linea and Punto are putting off buyers. Their cars have the best in class diesel engine, gadgets and suspension but still don't sell because of the above mentioned faults.
Turning radius is not something which every one checks for and hence hardly is a deal breaker. And if it has to be, then compare it with the ANHC. You would realize there is not much difference between 5.3m of ANHC and 5.5m of Linea. It is justified considering the fact that Linea is longer than even the Civic. Regarding interior space, Vento is as cramped if not more but still selling. Of course there are some minor fit and finish issues in the Linea but is more than compensated by the segment leading list of features, premium looks and sturdy build. Also the best seller is not without its faults and that too major ones at that as the latest developments suggest. Ultimately it all boils down to brand perception. The fact is that when it comes to Fiat people are not as forgiving.
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:21   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Suzuki has its own diesel engine plant which manufactures the 1.3 diesel.Fiat plays no part in it.Except ofcourse i think there just a royalty payment.
Fiat is right now getting profit only from its Powertrain I guess. Else, seeing the sales figure dwindling, even meeting the daily operational costs itself, would be a tough job.
Hope the FIPL marketing would take a call and do something serious to keep the brand alive.
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:54   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Fiat is right now getting profit only from its Powertrain I guess. Else, seeing the sales figure dwindling, even meeting the daily operational costs itself, would be a tough job.
Hope the FIPL marketing would take a call and do something serious to keep the brand alive.
I agree. Fiat is surviving thanks to its engines working wonders on cars of MSIL and Tata. Left to its own, FIAT would have not even made the kind of money it is making from Licensing its engines to other companies.

I think Fiat should now bring in their 1.6MJD or 1.9MJD. Cars like Kizashi and GV can atleast use these and sell some more cars providing some more license revenue for Fiat. They should seriously consider engine licensing as a strategy for India.
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:00   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I think these numbers could be artificially high for some Indian manufacturers. As Jan - March is the last qtr of the year for them, so they may be pushing more cars to the dealers during these 3 months.
Lots of small businessmen buy cars in the last quarter to achieve benefits of depriciation for tax benefits, just like how employees make investments under 80c for tax benefits in the last quarter.

Everybody expected excise duty to go up in the budget, but FM has been extremly kind to local car manufacturers. So this time even April and May might turn out to be bumper months.

Last edited by Daewood : 3rd March 2011 at 11:01.
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:23   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Fiat is haunted by Palio Ghost. Analysis of repeat business would be key to understand how Fiat as a brand is perceived

All said and done, we have been talking in every months sales figure thread about Fiat and they need to do something, still we see these numbers.

you are betting your money whom would you choose, a winner or better breed? Answer is obvious

On the other hand, GM, FORD have shown true efforts to capture the segments. The improvement is visible in their case where as with Fiat it is not visible. We dont even see promos for Linea now a days. Few Punto promos are aired.
If tata can sell Nano, it does not require rocket science to sell Linea and Punto

Lets accept the facts and move on and let Fiat show the commitment in action than words.

Before Fiat fans start bashing me, let me clarify I am one of those haunted by Palio ghost. It is still not healed. Would I ever put my hard earned money on Fiat, no brownie points for guessing the answer. Even if Alfa is sold at 1.5 million INR, I will still prefer buying similar price bracket Chevy / FORD / MARUTI / Hyundai
Although I know that this has been mentioned before[ in threads where the dismal sales of fiat has been discussed] even then I would like to point out the fact that I think what really hurts Fiat is selling their car out of Tata showrooms.

This is probably how things go wrong: A buyer looking to enquire about about a G punto[/linea] enters a tata showroom. He looks around to see what features are offered and at what price point. Then, since he already in a tata showroom, he decides to check out the indica[/manza]. He is surprised to see that that the tata cars are providing almost all the features that are there in the fiat cars but at a lower price point. So most of them decide to either go for the indica[/manza] or look at cars from other companies.

The average indian car buyer will not understand the difference between the quality of the two products[the fact the tata have actually improved a lot in quality makes it even harder]. For them "blue and me" and "Blue5" is all the same. Both seats 5 people. both have ac and power windows. For someone looking to travel from point A to point B in decent style and comfort, it just simply doesn't make sense to buy a fiat afterlooking at tata.

It is imperative that Fiat slowly start moving out of the tata showrooms and service centres and setting up their own places.
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:25   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That would be Harakiri. Fiat makes money on each power-train sale via royalty.

OTOH, VW is partial owner of Suzuki. It can start supplying engines for cars and start earning loyalty. So Fiat does not gain any advantage but would lose on revenue.
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:03   #119
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes sold 662 cars, a 51% rise over February 2010. Here’s the sales split -
Mercedes C-Class – 362 units
Mercedes E-Class – 230 units
Mercedes GL Class -23 units
Mercedes ML and R-Class – 27 units

Source :indianautosblog
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:16   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
I think Fiat should now bring in their 1.6MJD or 1.9MJD. Cars like Kizashi and GV can atleast use these and sell some more cars providing some more license revenue for Fiat. They should seriously consider engine licensing as a strategy for India.
Then Imagine, Manza - 1.6 and 1.9 QJT. Wow! what a space and power combination it would be.
Similarly, The SX4. The captions should read - 'Men are back. Now, Gym toned!'
The Linea it self would be a very tough competitor for Vento and Etios with the 1.6 or 1.9 MJD. I still scores no. 1 in the looks dept compared to the two above. Manza is no where in this league of looks anyhow.
IMHO, City has to lauch their Diesel engine to catch up with such a kind of stiff competition.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks