Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 12:03   #136
BHPian

Re: February 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

FIAT!!!! please say TATA to TATA..or else soon you will have to say TATA to India!!

Looks like Monsterjobs should visit FIAT, as their Marketing team definitely seems to be 'CAUGHT IN WRONG JOB' for long-long time now!!!!!
Old 4th March 2011, 12:50   #137
Senior - BHPian

The SX4 indeed has seen a big jump - a never before record if I am right.
I think this is mostly due to the diesel variant, more than anything else.

And ANHC's figures have vaccilated up and down in the past and I don't see anything else in this. Recalls pulling down ANHC sales does not seem to be the case to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x
neoranjit got delivery of his SX4 ZDi today
Wow !! Congrats, ranjit. I remember your Esteem at my first tbhp-meet some 6 years ago. Then you moved on to the SX4-P and now to the SX4-D. I just hope the color is not Gold this time around for the SX4.
Old 4th March 2011, 14:17   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_or_die View Post
Beat at 3100+ numbers looks good too, doing better than sibling Spark
With the launch of Beat LPG and the upcoming launch of the diesel variant Beat numbers will soon cross the 5000 mark.
Figo petrol makes up for 30% of it's numbers. If the same logic is applied Beat might overtake or sell on par with Figo.
Old 4th March 2011, 14:42   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me@fiat View Post
FIAT!!!! please say TATA to TATA..
Quote:
Originally Posted by me@fiat View Post
Their Marketing team definitely seems to be 'CAUGHT IN WRONG JOB' for long-long time now!!!!!
Its not the FIAT's marketing, but its their India Strategy which is backfiring here. I won't held Marketing responsible. I still think they are doing their job. I get to see more FIAT ads than CHEVY ads anyways.

Last edited by anu21v : 4th March 2011 at 14:44.
Old 4th March 2011, 15:08   #140
Senior - BHPian

Will the rise in petrol price affect certain car models? Will and need to see how the percentage of petrol vs diesel cars in a given segment is going to vary.
Old 4th March 2011, 15:17   #141
BHPian

Finally Honda seems to be in a bit of trouble in the c-segment. City is the only one which was the segment leader for Honda till now and even city seems to be loosing it's way now.

Cars like Jazz have been sales duds(Overpriced 1.2 litre engined car) inspite of the recent huge price cuts and Honda has
to really think of it's long term strategy in india. Once the market leader tag is gone it will be very difficult to get it back.

Honda has to focus on VFM. if not it's bye bye india i guess in another 6-9 months with the new Verna and Fiesta coming out.

Good for the indian customer i say

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 4th March 2011 at 15:19.
Old 4th March 2011, 16:18   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Small Car

Alto seems to keep adding pace from its 2nd position runner ( i10)

i10 is a great car ( except for a bit bumpy ride) and no wonder continues to win people's heart.

Two things that I failed to understand is who are the people who still buy a Wagon R and Estillo ( both good numbers) with so many new models available as options.

Beat seems to have stagnated at 3K. Wonder why?
Couldn't stop myself here!!! Come here in NCR and you will see hoardes of Wagon R. Wagon R has a huge fan base in North India. Leave alone the new car, try to go to the second hand car market and Waggy demands a price. While it might not be a beauty contest winner, reliabilty and utility plus Maruti badge makes this car a winner.

As far as Estillo is concerned, there are various offers on this car going on and on and as a result the OTR price of this car is very attractive.

Beat is still an enigma. Somehow it always reminds me of Ford Fusion. A good VFM packaged car just not able to express its character. Even after GM is giving 3 years free Service scheme, it doesn't serve the purpose.
Old 4th March 2011, 16:38   #143
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Very strong figures still for a lot of models even though slightly below January for most.

The VW Vento and Polo have beaten their monthly volume record at 3,548 and 3,303, as well as the Suzuki SX4 as far as I know at 3,534.

The Toyota Etios is growing slowly to me, it is still only 26th overall...

First time above 2,000 sales for the Nissan Micra...

Best level in 14 months for the Tata Safari and Mahindra Logan

I will try and post a Excel sheet summary shortly.
Old 4th March 2011, 17:10   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
With the launch of Beat LPG and the upcoming launch of the diesel variant Beat numbers will soon cross the 5000 mark.
Figo petrol makes up for 30% of it's numbers. If the same logic is applied Beat might overtake or sell on par with Figo.
I would disagree here, it was an assumption earlier that the Figo numbers are 30:70. But its not, actually its 50:50 between petrol and diesel cars.
In fact thats something even the Ford did not expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The SX4 indeed has seen a big jump - a never before record if I am right.
I think this is mostly due to the diesel variant, more than anything else.
Dont think the Diesel cars are the reason for the pick in figures here. Actual Diesel will only reflect in the next month sales. But one thing is having a diesel does add some weightage to the brand which might actually increase even the petrol sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
Hi everyone,
First time above 2,000 sales for the Nissan Micra...

I will try and post a Excel sheet summary shortly.
Thanks for pointing that out. Micra is really doing well given the fact that they had negligible presence earlier.

Thanks for volunteering to prepare the excel sheet.
Old 4th March 2011, 17:34   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I would disagree here, it was an assumption earlier that the Figo numbers are 30:70. But its not, actually its 50:50 between petrol and diesel cars.
In fact thats something even the Ford did not expect.
Business Standard says " For instance, just about 30 per cent of the Ford Figo sales or about 1,800 units are for the petrol model, while the balance 4,300 units are driven by the diesel model on an average every month."
link to original article in BS website
Beat shifts to top gear
Old 4th March 2011, 17:55   #146
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I have created an Excel sheet that overviews the Top 40 best selling models in India over the last 14 months, so it's easy to see when in that period they performed best (the figure is then in blue)

Excel sheet uploaded on the link below, under the Tata Indigo Manza picture.

India February 2011

Enjoy!
Old 4th March 2011, 18:13   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuj_Mumbai View Post
I would like to differ on this point, no offence meant. The hypothesis proposed by you considers basic premises that potential buyer will go to one show room / brand only, which is quite incorrect even in theory. In normal condition buyer will do through research, visit multiple showrooms take test drive of different brands and then make decision. As everyone pointed out the cause for dismal performance of Fiat is perception buyer had, else all other vehicle / brands have some or the other issues but still able to sell their vehicles in good numbers.
I agree to what you are saying, but don't you think that only 30-40% max of indian car buyers actually test all cars in the price bracket that they have decided. For eg: in recent times two of my friends families have bought swift dzires. I personally "don't like" the dzire. [no offense meant to present owners.]On asking them why they bought the dzire, bought replied in roughly the same way. "Sirf do cheez dekha, kinta deti hai aur kinte dena hoga kharid ne ke liye" [just went by two factors, what mileage and what price].

Most decide what to buy with their minds and not their hearts. This, in my opinion, is where fiat falls flat on their face in the indian market!

Edit: No, I didn't mean to say that a consumer would go to a single showroom and decide what to buy. What wanted to say was that when they go to a tata showroom, people[as in non-enthusiasts looking to travel from point A to point B] would find it more logical to buy a tata than a fiat.

Last edited by scuderiamania : 4th March 2011 at 18:16. Reason: missed a point
Old 4th March 2011, 19:20   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Couldn't stop myself here!!! Come here in NCR and you will see hoardes of Wagon R. Wagon R has a huge fan base in North India. Leave alone the new car, try to go to the second hand car market and Waggy demands a price. While it might not be a beauty contest winner, reliabilty and utility plus Maruti badge makes this car a winner.

Beat is still an enigma. Somehow it always reminds me of Ford Fusion. A good VFM packaged car just not able to express its character. Even after GM is giving 3 years free Service scheme, it doesn't serve the purpose.
The resale of the Wagon R seems high in Goa as well. Why, just this morning, I was checking the classified section and found these details:

1. Indigo fully loaded 2003: Rs 1.5 L
2. Indigo GLS 2007: Rs 1.7 L
3. Wagon R LX 2003: Rs 1.7 L

A sedan like the Indigo has a dismal resale value compared to the smaller hatch like Wagon R. No wonder, the sales of the Wagon R continue to remain high.

Regarding the Beat, I too am surprised that it has only 3K takers, despite the various freebies and the 3-year free service scheme. Others cars in its segment offer little or no such schemes and yet, they seem to have been welcomed by the Indian customers. I feel sad that a car like the U-VA never really took off. Truly was a spacious hatch, but GM lost the plot somewhere down the line.
Old 5th March 2011, 00:32   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
I agree to what you are saying, but don't you think that only 30-40% max of indian car buyers actually test all cars in the price bracket that they have decided. For eg: in recent times two of my friends families have bought swift dzires. I personally "don't like" the dzire. [no offense meant to present owners.]On asking them why they bought the dzire, bought replied in roughly the same way. "Sirf do cheez dekha, kinta deti hai aur kinte dena hoga kharid ne ke liye" [just went by two factors, what mileage and what price].

Most decide what to buy with their minds and not their hearts. This, in my opinion, is where fiat falls flat on their face in the indian market!

Edit: No, I didn't mean to say that a consumer would go to a single showroom and decide what to buy. What wanted to say was that when they go to a tata showroom, people[as in non-enthusiasts looking to travel from point A to point B] would find it more logical to buy a tata than a fiat.
Agree..but again it s mainly the perception they carry about Fiat, not that Tata has better perception but then as you mentioned if the purpose is only to travel from point A to point B then why pay even that little extra, if they pay extra they will consider other brands (may be Maruti will benefit from this as it is most trusted (automobile company) by this type of Indians buyers). I am not sure what situation at Tata / Fiat dealership now but around three years back, when I was thinking of buying Palio, the kind of response I got, made me not to buy Palio (very good vehicle indeed). They were not having vehicle for test drive (they were expecting people to buy vehicle with out test drive, funny). This kind of consumers experiences has made quite long lasting impact on consumers mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I feel sad that a car like the U-VA never really took off. Truly was a spacious hatch, but GM lost the plot somewhere down the line.
Fot this GM and their dearlers to be blamed. as mentioned above about Palio, same time I was very much interested in buying U-VA ( i had taken test drive in Gurgaon and was very impressed with the car, but when I came to Mumbai and went to buy they said I have to wait for 2 1/5 months for delivery, which I was not ready for. GM should have known that, if they want to get hold of market then their supply chain need to be very good because in India ( unlike US) GM didn't had great name so that people will wait for their car. The dealer experience was also not great (that dealer has been shut down now).
Old 5th March 2011, 08:00   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
I agree to what you are saying, but don't you think that only 30-40% max of indian car buyers actually test all cars in the price bracket that they have decided.
I agree. IMO about 50% of the customers I saw, especially in Maruti show rooms, have already decided what car to buy and are not bothered about test drives. Some of them go for TD for the sake of form or because the sales person offers it!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed