Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2011, 21:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Is an MUV or SUV really easy to drive in the city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
+1 to clutch and gear shift issue. Very valid point. When I TDed Scorpio few days back in city traffic, I was quite irritated by gear shifts, especially the vibrations of gear lever.
Agree totally on this. Xylo delivers pretty good torgue on 2nd. In city driving, quite a few times I do not change from 2nd until absolutely sure there is a good stretch of empty road in front.
Old 5th March 2011, 23:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

Today after a long time I drove into the city, and observed these things:

1. Kept an eye out and carefully observed how bikers and cyclists behave around SUVs/MUVs. I don't see any difference at all in their behavior, compared to hatches or sedans. Is there a possibility that sitting higher up puts more psychological "distance", as in not being worried about them hitting the ORVMs? (i.e just a perception?)

2. Both the spots I parked in the city today were "no-no"s for bigger vehicles. I was glad I was in a hatch.

3. The SUVs were making as quick progress as I was. They weren't particularly lagging behind at all.
Old 11th March 2011, 23:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

NOTE TO MODS: This website seems to be stealing our content! Check out: Is an MUV or SUV really easy to drive in the city?

Old 12th March 2011, 07:11   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
NOTE TO MODS: This website seems to be stealing our content! Check out: Is an MUV or SUV really easy to drive in the city?

Indeed. Its a mere copy and paste job. I posted a nasty comment there on the website, but doubtful that it will be published
Old 12th March 2011, 09:09   #35
Team-BHP Support

I find the Bolero very satisfying to drive inside my B town commute.

1) The cycles & rick-shaw even after knowingly hitting you from behind shall have no impact and to add to the circus, add chime when the reverse gear gets activated (don't reverse) and see them scurrying for cover.

2) In B towns, where the roads are narrow with wide gap from the road and the median, you can actually take wheels off while overtaking and or while a vehicle passes you.

An Alto F8 w/o AC is quite nice to drive inside city confines. (Yet to drive a Nano, but think it shall be fun)
Old 12th March 2011, 12:43   #36
BHPian

I would both agree and disagree. All the points for better GC, better views, more road respect and other vehicles avoiding you hold true. Also SUVs/MUVs can go through flooded roads where a car would be stopped and Bangalore had a lot of these.

The parking and tight roads issues, I don't so much agree with. You can find parking everywhere in Bangalore. It just wont be right at the footsteps of your destination. As for tight roads, I usually find a wide spot and give way for the other person to pass.

On the flip side, Its harder to maneuver. Tight traffic is a pain and bikers/autos won't avoid you then. They'll cut you off/overtake you and you'll just have to wait. You tend to drive more carefully so your average speed goes down. I've gone from a Swift D to a Xylo, and I feel that the Xylo reacts slower, so I slow down and give way a lot on tight roads.

Last edited by P1tBull : 12th March 2011 at 12:44.
Old 12th March 2011, 13:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1tBull View Post
I would both agree and disagree. All the points for better GC, better views, more road respect and other vehicles avoiding you hold true. Also SUVs/MUVs can go through flooded roads where a car would be stopped and Bangalore had a lot of these.

The parking and tight roads issues, I don't so much agree with. You can find parking everywhere in Bangalore. It just wont be right at the footsteps of your destination. As for tight roads, I usually find a wide spot and give way for the other person to pass.

On the flip side, Its harder to maneuver. Tight traffic is a pain and bikers/autos won't avoid you then. They'll cut you off/overtake you and you'll just have to wait. You tend to drive more carefully so your average speed goes down. I've gone from a Swift D to a Xylo, and I feel that the Xylo reacts slower, so I slow down and give way a lot on tight roads.
Thanks, I think you pretty much summed it up nicely!

I have one doubt though: Why is it that an MUV can go through flooded roads where a hatch/sedan cannot? Is it because of the GC? As I understand most hatches have GC of 160mm and an MUV has a GC of 180mm - so, does 20mm make so much difference? Or is it due to higher mounting of engine, or some other factor?
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:48   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84

I have one doubt though: Why is it that an MUV can go through flooded roads where a hatch/sedan cannot? Is it because of the GC? As I understand most hatches have GC of 160mm and an MUV has a GC of 180mm - so, does 20mm make so much difference? Or is it due to higher mounting of engine, or some other factor?
Even a humble Maruti can go through high water. Because the distributor cap is located nice and high.
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

I graduated from a hatch to the Safari recently. A few observations from me.
a) The safari's road presence makes for a lot. All vehicles do wait for me to cross/overtake them. At max a toot from the horn or a flick of the high beam is required to move people away
b) Driving over uneven roads, speed bumps or bad patches are taken care without a worry. No need to slow down
c) Comfort and space inside is incomparable. Driving through the city streets in peak hour is very stress free now
d) Crossing intersections or changing lanes is a hoot.
e) High up perch helps see a lot of traffic ahead. Easy to plan lane change and overtaking maneuvers
f) Usual morons like auto, 3 wheel tempos and other slow moving traffic is no factor anymore. It is almost as if they don't exist.
g) high torque and pickup means its easy to overtake other traffic when and where needed.

Only drawback as i found is one gets so addicted to the perceived power of a larger vehicle that one tends to behave like a bully unless consciously controlled. It is so easy for me to behave like the typical scorpiowalla whom everyone else curses.. lol. No offence meant ppl
Old 23rd June 2012, 14:20   #40
BHPian

I don't know how much this folks making way for a SUV thing works. I think if you drive aggressively other commuters do become more careful, and if you are in SUV doubly so, but for normal driving especially in cities like Mumbai bikers, richshaws, piaggos and cars recklessly cross your path making their safety your responsibility whether you are in a SUV or car.

Notice the reaction of other road users to a badly dented car being driven aggressively, people instinctively make way.

For me personally driving a largish SUV through crowded city roads in peak hour is not the best experience, you need something more nimble, without the stress of managing that big bulk on top of the stress of the traffic, but for long distances and highways they are much more comfortable, if you are not zipping. The high seating is an advantage though in most conditions.

Last edited by raul : 23rd June 2012 at 14:21.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 14:53   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
For me personally driving a largish SUV through crowded city roads in peak hour is not the best experience, you need something more nimble, without the stress of managing that big bulk on top of the stress of the traffic, but for long distances and highways they are much more comfortable, if you are not zipping. The high seating is an advantage though in most conditions.
I would disagree. SUV like scorpio is very easy to drive in city actually i prefer it more in city than highways due to its ride quality. The best thing about SUV is the piece of mind that you get when you are in traffic. I personally face this when i drive my scorpio or friend's i10. You nimble with hatchbacks but you push forward and gain space in SUVs.

About parking, i prefer to even walk a bit if i have to park somewhere away from the place i want to go. so it was never a big concern to me.
Old 23rd June 2012, 15:16   #42
BHPian

I personally prefer some hatchback with good ride quality for the city commute. I normally buy some aggressive color (red/black) and high end car with VIP no. to get some respect on road. SUV/MUV obviously gets more respect on road because of the image/size, but you loose almost everywhere else. Mostly, parking becomes pain. A lot depends on overall visibility (glass area) also.
Old 23rd June 2012, 15:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post

Normally, GC figures specified in brochures are minimum GC. If you calculate average GC over the entire bottom of the vehicle for sedan vs SUVs, difference is much larger.

Sorry mods, accidentally posted back to back. pls merge my posts if possible.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 23rd June 2012 at 15:22.
Old 23rd June 2012, 15:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Notice the reaction of other road users to a badly dented car being driven aggressively, people instinctively make way.
I like this point.
Regarding he other road users making way for bigger vehicles, there are multiple reasons (if at all this is true)
  • In case of a accident, bigger vehicle suffers lesser
  • Some drivers are empathetic towards bigger vehicles, since they are difficult to maneuver. I always slow down for a bus, not just because he is going to overrun me, but i feel it is easier for me to slow down and accelerate back.
  • Most people think that drivers of SUVs are affluent people with high connections and dont want to get in to a fight with them.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 17:37   #45
BHPian

I find my Santro the best for city commuting. Narrow dimensions and peppy performance really help. I can squeeze in gaps. Also the super small turning circle is a great advantage. I can take U turns with ease. I have seen many SUVs have to back several times to get through. On my office-home commute route i always edge ahead of the SUVs in the traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks