Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2006, 15:19   #16
BHPian

Exactly, bigman, hybrids do not need electric supply!
The motor runs on batteries which get charged while braking (regenerative) and when acr is running on petrol(diesel in this case).
Old 10th January 2006, 15:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
It does not matter if in india electricity is supplied even 1 hour a day, Hybrids power up their batteries from the waste energy generated during braking and during hard acceleration assist the engine. For an electric car electric supply is a must not for hybrid.
Oh OK. You guys talking about the systems fitted in cars like the hybrid Toyota, Lexus etc.

I saw a review of a Lexus Hybrid, such technology would be well suited to the traffic jams you get during rush hour in Indian cities.

Ford have licensed the Toyota technology for some of its vehicles. I wonder if Mahindra are going to develop there own systems or buy something in.
Old 10th January 2006, 15:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
Exactly, bigman, hybrids do not need electric supply!
The motor runs on batteries which get charged while braking (regenerative) and when acr is running on petrol(diesel in this case).
Hybrid is an all encompassing word when it comes to cars. I guess I was thinking back to the 1990s when they used to show these cars that ran on petrol and had a mains charged battery pack which powered a motor. I thought perhaps Mahindra would use that approach.
Old 11th January 2006, 05:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

is it a petrol,electricity hybrid???

any details will be appreciated.

btw just remembered. The mahindra guy who sent a letter to Sumath Kamath, a member here said that they are up on something really surprising.

maybe they have also worked on the handling part of scorpio
Old 11th January 2006, 07:26   #20
Team-BHP Support

Diesel Electric hybrid.
Old 11th January 2006, 22:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

I used to think it was going on sale immediately after its Auto Expo debut. What a bomb this car has a potential to be, say with a 150bhp or so diesel-electric engine, phenomenal FE and Lotus tweaked suspension!!

Last edited by sajo : 11th January 2006 at 22:50.
Old 11th January 2006, 23:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

a 150 bhp diesel-electric engine..? if you mean the combined power of the diesel powerplant and the electric motors, then well...highly improbable; i don't think mahindra might be able to come up with enough juice to power 26-27 KW high torque d.c induction motors; assuming they're using their current 115 bhp diesel engine, their whole purpose, of making the scorpio hybrid (less weight, more F.E, less emission) might be defeated.

unless mahindra uses a different, lighter engine, and brushless motors...

Last edited by veyron1 : 11th January 2006 at 23:17.
Old 11th January 2006, 23:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
a 150 bhp diesel-electric engine..? if you mean the combined power of the diesel powerplant and the electric motors, then well...highly improbable; i don't think mahindra might be able to come up with enough juice to power 26-27 KW high torque d.c induction motors; assuming they're using their current 115 bhp diesel engine, their whole purpose, of making the scorpio hybrid (less weight, more F.E, less emission) might be defeated.

unless mahindra uses a different, lighter engine, and brushless motors...
They will have to use a lighter engine... and a variable reluctance
multi phase brushless design for the electric motor.

Such a motor would not suffer from the heat and mechanical losses of an engine, so even a lower capacity motor would provide excellent results!
Old 11th January 2006, 23:59   #24
BHPian

what about durability ?

My first thoughts when I read about the Hybrid was "WOW!" this is the best thing that can happen to a FE conscious country like India.... Imagine your car returning figures like 25 KMs per litre or even more, that too with diesel !!!

But when the initial euphoria fades away, the more logical questions set in... like the durability and efficiency of the batteries. I read somewhere that the Civic Hybrid's batteries are expected to last for about 4 years in a place like the US....so naturally I would assume that the Hybrid electric batteries that come with the Scorpio would llst for something like 3 years ? now, how many of us will be willing to shell out that extra buck (roughly speaking... should be atleast 20-30K) every three years....

I wish and hope that M&M gets it right bang on.... otherwise it could end up spoiling the party. Iin any case, I will be one of the first ones to book the hybrid when it gets released... it's not every other day that we get an Indian manufacturer to turn out something as advanced as this.
Old 12th January 2006, 01:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

The Toyota hybrids use a set of batteries that are apparently good for 10 years or 100,000KM. Should be more than enough considering the motor is only used when the car is doing 30mph or less.
Old 12th January 2006, 17:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1368673.cms
3/4 years away - essentially press coverage for vapourware
Old 12th January 2006, 19:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

like i suspected, its not an electric hybrid at all. Fuel cell (hydrogen) powered, rather. Which is why its a early prototype. Quite like Maini's NXG.
Old 12th January 2006, 23:58   #28
BHPian

This seems like a gud move by M&M but currently the idea of hybrid cars has just started to catch on in other countries so i think it'll take a lot of time for these cars to get on indian roads plus with the messed up political scene there will be obstacles.
Old 30th January 2006, 07:13   #29
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Hybrid indeed!

First make the Scorpio safe to brake and steer at speed.
Touching the brake or the steering wheel at 100 km/hr becomes a life-n-death experience!

If we were a more developed country, safety lawsuits would have made them recall all those unsafe vehicles and stop production, until major redesign proved their cars road-worthy!

That's where they should invest their money IMHO.
Old 30th January 2006, 07:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Hybrid indeed!

First make the Scorpio safe to brake and steer at speed.
Touching the brake or the steering wheel at 100 km/hr becomes a life-n-death experience!

If we were a more developed country, safety lawsuits would have made them recall all those unsafe vehicles and stop production, until major redesign proved their cars road-worthy!

That's where they should invest their money IMHO.
the new and improved scorpio is on its way
you can find more info in thread called "New scorpio with lotus tuned suspension"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks