Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:04   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuseinZS View Post
Here check this info bit where in it is mentioned that "An electronic brain keeps a careful eye on everything and refuses to stop the motor if the air conditioning is still needed or if the battery is running short on charge."
Im not sure about that. I know that is the case with full hybrids like the Civic or Prius. I think that site is confused between those cars and Mahindra's micro-hybrid tech. Where is the question of a battery runniing low on charge in a micro-hybrid?
Old 22nd October 2008, 17:57   #77
BHPian

Point taken;

I personally don't know much on the Hybrid front, what I suppose is even though it is a micro-hybrid it does not have additional battery where in they might need to keep an eye on the lil battery they have...
Old 2nd May 2009, 22:08   #78
Senior - BHPian

happeend to see this Scoripo MICRO HYBRID..at Parel, Mumbai

is this the correct one? or just the badging?
Attached Thumbnails
Scorpio Hybrid!-akbar028.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2009, 22:51   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
happend to see this Scoripo MICRO HYBRID..

is this the correct one? or just the badging?
i too saw that in my town and i was wondering if the scorpio hybrids are named micro hybrids!!??
Old 2nd May 2009, 22:58   #80
Senior - BHPian

thats not the scorpio hybriid actually. mahindra has not officially launched the scorpio hybrid yet. the micro hybrid is just a feature in the scorpio which automatically switches off the car's engine if its at stanstill for more than 10 seconds in neutral and switches it on when the clutch is depressed.
Old 2nd May 2009, 23:51   #81
Senior - BHPian

rather misuse of the term hybrid i must say.
Old 3rd May 2009, 01:37   #82
BHPian

Hybrids definitely are the way to go. Anything , however small or otherwise, that helps in saving our planet needs to be welcomed. Its time hybrids come into India in a big way with the number of car users growing at the rate at which they are. Mahindra needs to be complimented for taking the initiative. Hope other manufacturers follow suit as well.
Old 3rd May 2009, 07:11   #83
BHPian

Hybrids would come into India in a big way IF the government woke up from its slumber and decided to cut duties for that exact type of car /engine. While forcing auto-companies to make India their hub has served us wonderfully so far (despite depriving us honest citizens of some wonderful cars by being ridiculously expensive) ; this needs to change for hybrids. The resulting savings in foreign exchange (by buying less oil - if the hybrid concept really kicks off) is something that should be considered as well.

If its not possible to allow hybrids to come in as CBUs or knocked down units and the govt still wants such plants, then the final duty on the product should be slashed tremendously. Thats the only way the consumer and the producer will look upon this sector favorably. Once the cars win hearts in the people, the duties could go back up.

Has anyone heard about Tatas Air Car? - the one that runs on compressed air? What are your feelings on that?

The Earth Times: Tata Air Car coming to USA by 2010

The Earth Times: Tata producing MDI OneCat AirCar
Old 3rd May 2009, 19:17   #84
Senior - BHPian

i had a given a seminar on the Tata Air car. its built by a company named MDI in france. its a marvel.
Old 3rd May 2009, 19:34   #85
BHPian

Raj, a seminar on tata air car? thats very interseting. Can you please tell us some more about the car. seems to be a great concept. Practicallity is the issue.
Old 22nd June 2009, 20:01   #86
BHPian

Hats off to M&M for the Micro Hybrid

I got the delivery of the Scorpio VLX Micro Hybrid during the weekend. Though the word Hybrid is a bit misleading (they probably should have called it Micro Green), the technology is definitely a welcome move in the Indian Cars given the current global warming scenario.

Raj - The time duration is 3 seconds and not 10 seconds.

Rgds,
Sudhir
Old 22nd June 2009, 20:43   #87
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Sudhir - do post a review.

Business Standard published a review of the micro-hybrid tech in their weekend supplement on Saturday. They got a marginal boost in FE from 9.6 kmpl to 9.9 kmpl with the stop-start system. AC switches off with the engine and they felt that the 3 second interval was too short especially in stop and go traffic. The system can be switched off though.

Still, I think kudos to Mahindra for experimenting with something new.

Last edited by StarScream : 22nd June 2009 at 20:44.
Old 22nd June 2009, 21:58   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Congratulations Sudhir - do post a review.

Business Standard published a review of the micro-hybrid tech in their weekend supplement on Saturday. They got a marginal boost in FE from 9.6 kmpl to 9.9 kmpl with the stop-start system. AC switches off with the engine and they felt that the 3 second interval was too short especially in stop and go traffic. The system can be switched off though.

Still, I think kudos to Mahindra for experimenting with something new.
I wish there was some kind of a timer mechanism to set that interval. Of course, I keep the clutch pressed in case I know I will move in less than 10 seconds. To be honest, I am not concerned about the increase in mileage we may get. I am happy for the environment that M&M is doing something about the carbon footprint.

I will drive for a week, take it off roading (again) next weekend and then write a small user review about the experience.

Rgds,
Sudhir
Old 22nd June 2009, 23:23   #89
Senior - BHPian

hi vasudhir. yes, my bad... its 10 seconds for the bolero & 3 seconds for the scorpio. doesnt the cabin get too hot with this system switched on?

@ nvldvr: here is a bit of info for you on the air car:

"OneCAT is an upcoming compressed air car. India's Tata Motors is collaborating with Air engine developer Guy Nègre of MDI to produce the vehicle.
The vehicle contains air tanks that can be filled in four hours by plugging the car into a standard electrical plug. MDI also plans to design a gas station compressor, which would fill the tanks in three minutes.There are no gasoline costs (except approx. one-third electric bill, US fare 2008) and no fossil fuel emissions.
The OneCAT is a five seat vehicle with a 200 liter trunk. With full tanks it will run at 100 km/h for 90-kilometre range in urban cycle."

If you need to know anything more, PM me your e-mail ID, i'll forward you the details.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 22nd June 2009 at 23:31.
Old 23rd June 2009, 07:21   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hi vasudhir. yes, my bad... its 10 seconds for the bolero & 3 seconds for the scorpio. doesnt the cabin get too hot with this system switched on?
well, if the weather is too hot, then I switch off the hybrid system. But in moderate weather, even if the engine is off, the blower works. So that's fine. My only concern is in the long run will it affect the starter motor since we are cranking the engine so many times. Of course, in the manual, for the same question that have answered that the starter motor has been specially designed to withstand the increased number of starts. But only time will tell.

Rgds,
Sudhir

Most Viewed