Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 12:13   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: New VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
+1

Hell, even Kizashi had more buzz around it's launch, but may be because it was a brand new car rather than a nex-gen version of an existing car, or may be it was a case of selective perception!
Almost all of us will agree that there is considerable quality difference between Jetta/Laura at one end and Altis at the other end. Yet, this lack of interest. I think that Indians in general have preference for Jap cars. Period.

Having said that, I think most Indians have warmed up really well to the VW 'German/Premium marketing' (which is true also; the Euros have better quality quotient). That's why I am a lil surprised by the lack of interest.

But, anyway, I hope VW surprise us by pricing it bang in the middle of the segment. Else, a car that has the potential to become segment leader will become just a 'niche' player. Let's see if VW intends to play the volume game with Jetta as well or not.
Old 17th August 2011, 12:26   #242
Senior - BHPian

I am looking at the C+ segment right now with a view to upgrade from my Cedia in 3-4 months time frame. Currently the real choice for the enthusiast driver is between Laura and Cruze. Civic is too old in the tooth (Tsi beats it hollow) and Altis is for chauffer driven folks (<100PS engine in Diesel !!). Even i am hoping that Jetta lands somwhere around 15-17 OTR Bangalore so that its between Laura and Cruze. Otherwise i see no reason for anyone to choose a Jetta over a Laura with the same mechanicals.
Old 17th August 2011, 12:27   #243
Senior - BHPian

Hormazd Sorabjee on Twitter

Quote:
New Jetta starting price (ex-showroom Delhi) Rs14.12 lakh! Launched with 2.0 TDi 140bhp diesel.Top end Highline Jetta with DSG auto less than Rs 18 lakh
karanraheja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 12:33   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Hormazd Sorabjee on Twitter
Ok. I concede it. Officially game over for me. No way am I spending 16 lacs OTR on base version of a car (that too OTR Ggn at these prices). OTR Bangy will be close to 18 lacs in places like Bangy.

I think I am out of running. Hormazd is smart guy and his info is generally true.
Old 17th August 2011, 12:35   #245
Senior - BHPian

Pricing looks good. Especially the Highline for less than 18l is good i feel. Considering the cruze AT is 17+. Is it confirmed that the jetta has no xenons and powered seats?
Old 17th August 2011, 12:35   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I am looking at the C+ segment right now with a view to upgrade from my Cedia in 3-4 months time frame. Currently the real choice for the enthusiast driver is between Laura and Cruze. Civic is too old in the tooth (Tsi beats it hollow) and Altis is for chauffer driven folks (<100PS engine in Diesel !!). Even i am hoping that Jetta lands somwhere around 15-17 OTR Bangalore so that its between Laura and Cruze. Otherwise i see no reason for anyone to choose a Jetta over a Laura with the same mechanicals.
Looks like your wish went unanswered! Base Jetta will be 18+ L OTR Bangalore, with Highline DSG going all the way up to around 22 L.

My sense - It is worth it for the price looking at other diesel options in the market.
Old 17th August 2011, 12:37   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that's a pretty good price, considering Laura, Altis and Cruze are all in the same ballpark. I would pay a premium for VW over these brands.

VW had a teaser pic of a covered Jetta on their FB page early this morning. Don't know whether the cover has been peeled off since am at work now!
Old 17th August 2011, 12:40   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives

Looks like your wish went unanswered! Base Jetta will be 18+ L OTR Bangalore, with Highline DSG going all the way up to around 22 L.

My sense - It is worth it for the price looking at other diesel options in the market.
Then i would suggest spending a little more and going in for the C or BMW 3. especially with the discounts going on on them right now. Makes more sense then a Jetta at 22OTR.
Fully loaded or otherwise.
Old 17th August 2011, 12:46   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Official launch pic -

New VW Jetta-newvolkswagenjettaindia.jpg

Trendline specs -

New VW Jetta-volkswagenjettatrendlineindia.jpg

Comfortline specs -

New VW Jetta-volkswagenjettacomfortlineindia.jpg

Highline specs -

New VW Jetta-volkswagenjettahighlineindia.jpg

Courtesy - IAB
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 12:58   #250
Senior - BHPian

Looking at specs, Jetta Trendline seems to be equal to Laura Ambiente MT in specs. Wonder why would anyone pay 1L+ more for Jetta than Laura. Atleast i would not. I think Laura will continue to pummel Jetta in sales charts.
Old 17th August 2011, 13:04   #251
e46
BHPian

This is "over optimistic" pricing to say the least. A company which is considered poor mans car maker in its homeland is trying to act too smart with this mind boggling figures. 12L should have been the right figure.

I can bet sales would be even lower thanks to its shared family look, no one would spend 7 lacs more to get a "bigger Vento" (yes, ths how it would be percieved)

VW lost a prospective customer.
Old 17th August 2011, 13:09   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Looking at specs, Jetta Trendline seems to be equal to Laura Ambiente MT in specs. Wonder why would anyone pay 1L+ more for Jetta than Laura. Atleast i would not. I think Laura will continue to pummel Jetta in sales charts.
Jetta trendline= 14.12 lacs ex-Delhi
Laura Ambiente- 13.9 lacs ex-Delhi

Thats not exactly 1 lacs, is it? For the price, you get 140 bhp instead of 11 bhp. Had I been thinking of buying Laura, I would have gone with the new Jetta. But, as it is, it may be too costly for me.
Old 17th August 2011, 13:15   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile

Jetta trendline= 14.12 lacs ex-Delhi
Laura Ambiente- 13.9 lacs ex-Delhi

Thats not exactly 1 lacs, is it? For the price, you get 140 bhp instead of 11 bhp. Had I been thinking of buying Laura, I would have gone with the new Jetta. But, as it is, it may be too costly for me.
You are comparing ex-showroom prices. If I compare OTR prices with discounts in Blr, it will be roughly 1L. If i had that 1L, why would I not buy Laura DSG for the same price with same 140ps.
Old 17th August 2011, 13:23   #254
BHPian

New VW Jetta - LAUNCHED

The VW website has officially unveiled the new Jetta today (a few minutes back).
The press release states the price to be starting from 14.12 lakhs Ex-showroom, New Delhi.
Here are the screen shots of the Press Release -

New VW Jetta-jetta-1.jpg
New VW Jetta-jetta-2.jpg
New VW Jetta-jetta-3.jpg
New VW Jetta-jetta-4.jpg
Old 17th August 2011, 13:34   #255
BHPian

Wow what over optimistic pricing. Almost 40K USD for the lowest version.

Looks like VW thinks India is full of stinking rich stupid people to pay this sort of moolah on a pretty much compact US sedan.

+1 mdsaab - Anybody wanting the highline just expand your budget a bit more and get a Merc.

Cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks