Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2011, 14:01   #106
BHPian

Re: New VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That’s not quite true. The 1.4TSI is now the default petrol engine for small to mid-size VW cars worldwide. e.g.; VW Golf, Jetta, Skoda Octavia (Laura in India). The regular one have a max. power of 122bhp and the sports version have a whopping 160bhp of power. And it will be great if they add a 7-speed DSG box to the equation.
>>>

Please note that the 7 speeder was originally designed for lighter (lower torque) vehicles.

Refer the following ( courtesy Wikipedia) :

Transverse DSG
At the time of launch in 2003- it became the world's first dual clutch transmission in a series production car,in the German-market Volkswagen Golf Mk4 R32 and shortly afterwards, worldwide in the original Audi TT 3.2; and for the first few years of production, this original DSG transmission was only available in transversely orientated front-engine, front-wheel-drive — or Haldex Traction-based four-wheel-drive vehicle layouts.

The first DSG transaxle that went into production for the Volkswagen Group mainstream marques had six forward speeds (and one reverse),and used wet/submerged multi-plate clutch packs (Volkswagen Group internal code: DQ250, parts code prefix: 02E). It has been paired to engines with up to 350 N·m (260 lb·ft) of torque, and the two-wheel-drive version weighs 93 kg (210 lb). It is manufactured at Volkswagen Groups Kassel plant,with a daily production output of 1,500 units.

At the start of 2008, another world first, an additional 70 kg (150 lb) seven-speed DSG transaxle (Volkswagen Group internal code: DQ200, parts code prefix: 0AM) became available. It differs from the six-speed DSG, in that uses two single-plate dry clutches (of similar diameter).This clutch pack was designed by LuK Clutch Systems, LLC. This seven-speed DSG is used in smaller front-wheel-drive cars with smaller displacement engines with lower torque outputs,such as the latest Volkswagen Golf,Volkswagen Polo Mk5,and the new SEAT Ibiza,due to it having a maximum torque handling capacity of 250 N·m (180 lb·ft).It uses considerably less oil than the six-speed DQ250; this new DQ200 uses just 1.7 litres (0.37 imp gal; 0.45 US gal) of transmission fluid.

Regards, drive safe

Last edited by issigonis : 28th June 2011 at 14:02. Reason: Corrections
Old 28th June 2011, 14:08   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Please note that the 7 speeder was originally designed for lighter (lower torque) vehicles.
That’s very true. 7-speed DSG goes with small petrol engines, whereas 6-speed wet-clutch DSG goes with high end petrol and high-torque diesels.

Some examples:
7-speed DSG: VW Polo 1.2, Golf/Jetta 1.2, Golf/Jetta 1.4 TSI (122ps), Golf/Jetta Sport 1.4 TSI (160ps), Jetta 1.6 TDI, Passat/Superb 1.8 TSI (160ps) etc.

6-speed DSG: VW Golf GTI, Octavia RS, Golf GTD, Jetta 2.0 TDI, Passat 2.0 TDI, Superb 2.0 TDI etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The volume model for the Jetta is going to be the 2.0 TDi. With the TDi producing 140 Bhp, the 122 BHp petrol will not be able to carry off the tag of a performance motor. Its USP is going to be its class leading FE. With its power to weight ratio, my guess is it will do 0-100 in 11-12 secs.

The Laura also has a petrol version. The 1.8 TSi, which has a 20 Bhp advantage over the diesel and hence can be positioned as a perfomance motor over the diesel sibling. I guess VW strategy is to offer superior FE rather than performance, which may have prompted them to pick the 1.4 TSi over the 1.8 TSi for the Jetta.
I am aware of the existence of the 1.8 TSI in Laura

What I mentioned was ‘For me the 1.4 TSI is a performance motor in the lines of the T-Jet from Fiat’. This simply means that similar to what Fiat does with their 1.4 motor (different tweaks to produce different outputs), VW have this 1.4 TSI in 122, 160 and 180 bhp versions.

Now getting back to the decision on having 1.4 TSI instead of 1.8TSI in a Jetta (we’re still talking in air here), I agree with you that the former is much more fuel efficient than the latter. VW group is one of the forerunners in engine downsizing, and except in a few markets like India, they don’t have big petrol engines in small cars (Polo, Fabia, Golf, Jetta, Octavia etc.). The preferred petrol motors are 1.2 or 1.4 TSI.

The 1.8 TSI goes into bigger cars like VW Passat, Passat CC, Skoda Superb, Audi A4 etc.

We’re a few lucky ones to still have the 1.8 TSI in a Laura . But my guess is that, with the launch of Laura RS Skoda will update the regular Laura with 1.4 TSI.

Maybe we can dream of a Jetta GLI with 1.8 TSI engine

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th June 2011 at 14:24. Reason: Edited to multi-quote
Old 28th June 2011, 14:55   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What I mentioned was ‘For me the 1.4 TSI is a performance motor in the lines of the T-Jet from Fiat’. This simply means that similar to what Fiat does with their 1.4 motor (different tweaks to produce different outputs), VW have this 1.4 TSI in 122, 160 and 180 bhp versions.

Now getting back to the decision on having 1.4 TSI instead of 1.8TSI in a Jetta (we’re still talking in air here), I agree with you that the former is much more fuel efficient than the latter. VW group is one of the forerunners in engine downsizing, and except in a few markets like India, they don’t have big petrol engines in small cars (Polo, Fabia, Golf, Jetta, Octavia etc.). The preferred petrol motors are 1.2 or 1.4 TSI.

The 1.8 TSI goes into bigger cars like VW Passat, Passat CC, Skoda Superb, Audi A4 etc.

We’re a few lucky ones to still have the 1.8 TSI in a Laura . But my guess is that, with the launch of Laura RS Skoda will update the regular Laura with 1.4 TSI.

Maybe we can dream of a Jetta GLI with 1.8 TSI engine
VW's TSI engines are pretty cutting edge as far as tech is concerned. 122 BHp from a 1.4L engine is pretty special in itself let alone 160 or even 180! I hope the TSI technology from VW will mark a come back of sorts for petrol cars in our country. Unfortunately we cannot have the luxury of having numerous variants of the same model like they have in Europe etc... Wish the Govt. sets some better standards for petrol sold in our country which would allow manufacturers to bring in these much desired variants.
Old 28th June 2011, 15:31   #109
BHPian

Quote:
That’s very true. 7-speed DSG goes with small petrol engines, whereas 6-speed wet-clutch DSG goes with high end petrol and high-torque diesels.

Some examples:

6-speed DSG: VW Golf GTI, Octavia RS, Golf GTD, Jetta 2.0 TDI, Passat 2.0 TDI, Superb 2.0 TDI etc.

>>>

And the Jetta 1.9 TDI.

Regards, ds
Old 4th July 2011, 22:31   #110
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Came across this on the Indian Autos Blog - Speculation - New Volkswagen Jetta diesel variants
Can somebody confirm whether Jetta will be launched with the 1.4/1.8 tsi petrol next month or will it be launched 4 months later?
Old 4th July 2011, 23:53   #111
BHPian

As per the latest update from Nissan team members, they are planning to launch the vehicle in the month of November.
Old 5th July 2011, 08:16   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
As per the latest update from Nissan team members, they are planning to launch the vehicle in the month of November.
Was that a typo? You mean Volkswagen team members?
Old 5th July 2011, 09:04   #113
BHPian

Request to official Jetta reviewers

My request to the official Jetta reviewers to also review visibility at night especially on highway. I am disappointed that there are no Xenon headlamps in the new Jetta.

There have been cribs about the throw of the current halogen lights in the current Jetta (leading some members to consider replacing them with HIDs). http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1964183

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 5th July 2011 at 09:06.
Old 5th July 2011, 09:12   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Jetta 1.4 TSI version (there is no 1.8 TSI for India) will be launched towards the end of next month.
Old 5th July 2011, 12:53   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

And the Jetta 1.9 TDI.

Regards, ds
The 1.9 TDI was a PD engine, AFAIK this engine is no longer in production. The 1.6 TDI(same as Vento) with similar torque and power output has replaced the 1.9TDi worldwide.

For some markets like India, the 2.0TDI is used in a lower state of tune(110hp, 250nm) to temporarily replace the 1.9 PD engine.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2011, 14:58   #116
Team-BHP Support

The new Jetta hit the showrooms here in Singapore couple of weeks back. I am not going much into the engine specs, as it is a petrol dominant market here.

One the key point which almost all the reviews highlighted was the effective space management. Apparently the new Jetta have much more usable space than the outgoing model, and the backseat space/comfort is much better than rivals in the same class. They also mentioned that the fit and finish is of the same level of new Passat.
Old 10th July 2011, 00:27   #117
BHPian

Just saw the car for real today. From a distance, it looked a lot like the Vento, especially if viewed from a front three-quarter angle. That Vento-ish look made me take a second glance because I personally like the Vento's looks and thought, "Wow, the Vento in Dubai." So, I realized its a new Jetta. Now, the one I saw seemed to be the basic model since it had a fabric interior, no sunroof, etc. Though I did see cruise control and standard 16-inch alloys. I think the base models lack of a body-kit enhances the Vento-ish look. The higher models may look different with added front lips, etc. Couldn't take a photo though. It was too dark.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:19   #118
BHPian

New Jetta will be released on Aug 17th.

They are expecting around 22-24 lacs for the top end. Blue motion technology is confirmed for the vehicle.

As per the team they may also get an auto gear.

Last edited by kdeepakk : 11th July 2011 at 12:21.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:23   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
New Jetta will be released on Aug 17th.

They are expecting around 22-24 lacs for the top end. Blue motion technology is confirmed for the vehicle.

As per the team they may also get an auto gear.

Hey where did you get that info from? I dont think thats true. Everyone has been saying that the New jetta will be priced more competitively to take on the Cruze and Altis. The current Jetta's top end model in around 18.5 L OTR in Delhi. 22-24L is not a realistic figure.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:27   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey where did you get that info from? I dont think thats true. Everyone has been saying that the New jetta will be priced more competitively to take on the Cruze and Altis. The current Jetta's top end model in around 18.5 L OTR in Delhi. 22-24L is not a realistic figure.
The top end will be more expensive than the Laura L&K because VW is trying to position itself as the more premium brand than Skoda. And the Laura is about 21l for the top end. Though the lower end Jettas will probably take on the Altis, etc.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed