Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 23:27   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: New VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
This 1.4 liter 180bhp engine of the Polo should be the least of the engines that should go into the new Jetta.

Volkswagen Polo | Road Tests | NEW CAR NET
Quite unlikely. That's the one doing duty in the Polo GTi. My guess is on the 122bhp version.
Old 16th June 2011, 10:40   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Quite unlikely. That's the one doing duty in the Polo GTi. My guess is on the 122bhp version.

Agree with vb-san. Petrol may be introduced in the milder state of tune given where we are with our petrol prices and FE obsession.

If they decide otherwise and launch the sports version of the motor, it will add another enthusiasts' delight in the Indian auto scene!
Old 25th June 2011, 21:23   #93
BANNED

would Jetta base diesel model come with Airbags, ABS and steering mounted controls ( unlike Corolla) and how much would be the starting ex-showroom price ?
Old 27th June 2011, 09:28   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
would Jetta base diesel model come with Airbags, ABS and steering mounted controls ( unlike Corolla) and how much would be the starting ex-showroom price ?
Airbags and ABS for sure as even the base Laura has them. About the steering controls nothing is known yet. However they could introduce it as the Laura does not have them either
Old 27th June 2011, 14:11   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

The jetta has the option of both mt and at right? Has the dsg gear box problems been sorted out in the new version that's going to come?
Old 27th June 2011, 17:57   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The jetta has the option of both mt and at right? Has the dsg gear box problems been sorted out in the new version that's going to come?
I am not sure if there were DSG issues specific to Jetta. There were DSG failure issues specific to Passat mentioned in the forum - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ems-alert.html.

Haven't heard of DSG issues with either Jetta or Laura, though from the time 2.0 TDI was offered in the Jetta, the AT / DSG variant was withdrawn. However it was offered on the same engine / transmission on the Laura

Cheers,
Old 27th June 2011, 19:21   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Latest issue of ACI says New Jetta is to be launched in August with the same 2.0 CR TDI doing duty in the Laura with a DSG box and a 1.4L TSI. Equipment levels like the Passat, are exepected to be best in class.

The 1.4 TSI might have been picked to deliver good FE. Petrol cars are going to appeal to only pure petrolheads these days and to be honest, the talk of just 1.4L TSI is a disppointment no matter how much power they can squeeze out of it. Jetta is not exepcted to be light, hence power to weight ratio is not going to excite too many petrolheads.
Old 27th June 2011, 20:38   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The 1.4 TSI might have been picked to deliver good FE. Petrol cars are going to appeal to only pure petrolheads these days and to be honest, the talk of just 1.4L TSI is a disppointment no matter how much power they can squeeze out of it. Jetta is not exepcted to be light, hence power to weight ratio is not going to excite too many petrolheads.
That’s not quite true. The 1.4TSI is now the default petrol engine for small to mid-size VW cars worldwide. e.g.; VW Golf, Jetta, Skoda Octavia (Laura in India). The regular one have a max. power of 122bhp and the sports version have a whopping 160bhp of power. And it will be great if they add a 7-speed DSG box to the equation.
Old 27th June 2011, 21:10   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That’s not quite true. The 1.4TSI is now the default petrol engine for small to mid-size VW cars worldwide. e.g.; VW Golf, Jetta, Skoda Octavia (Laura in India). The regular one have a max. power of 122bhp and the sports version have a whopping 160bhp of power. And it will be great if they add a 7-speed DSG box to the equation.
Well, I don't think VW can tune the 1.4 TSI to very high output figures, what with the quality of our fuel. Looks like 122 Bhp is all we are going to get. While it may not appeal to enthusiasts, it may appeal to a whole different set of buyers, who want a modern Euro car with all the bells and whistles and whose avg running is not high enough to justify the extra dough for the diesel versions. It will be highly fuel efficient that's for sure. While the 122 BHP may not set the road on fire, it should be adequate for this set of buyers. In India, being labelled a 'fuel efficient car', can be a big draw. But enthusiasts will definitely stay away.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 27th June 2011 at 21:12.
Old 27th June 2011, 21:25   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Well, I don't think VW can tune the 1.4 TSI to very high output figures, what with the quality of our fuel. Looks like 122 Bhp is all we are going to get. While it may not appeal to enthusiasts, it may appeal to a whole different set of buyers, who want a modern Euro car with all the bells and whistles and whose avg running is not high enough to justify the extra dough for the diesel versions. It will be highly fuel efficient that's for sure. While the 122 BHP may not set the road on fire, it should be adequate for this set of buyers. In India, being labelled a 'fuel efficient car', can be a big draw. But enthusiasts will definitely stay away.
Yes, expect the 1.4 TSI to have class leading fuel efficency. The 122 bhp version is what my expectation as well. But it’s no slouch either. If I remember some of the reviews correctly, it can do 0-100 in less than (or around) 10 seconds.

Last edited by vb-saan : 27th June 2011 at 21:26. Reason: tags removed
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 21:28   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

It might really be a good idea as the higher FE figures might turn many people to choose the TSI over the TDI specially the buyers whose running doesn't really call for a Diesel.

So is 17th august the launch date or just some kind of event and launch will be further delayed?
Old 28th June 2011, 11:26   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, expect the 1.4 TSI to have class leading fuel efficency. The 122 bhp version is what my expectation as well. But it’s no slouch either. If I remember some of the reviews correctly, it can do 0-100 in less than (or around) 10 seconds.

More like 12.5 secs, given Jetta tips the scales at close to a tonne and a half. Actually with around 120 horses, even cars like ANHC (gem of a petrol motor) and the New Verna 1.6 petrol are unable to get inside single digits for the dash to the ton and they weight much lesser than Jetta.

Of course if the state of tune is sports (unlikely), the acceleration figures will be yummy.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:40   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
More like 12.5 secs, given Jetta tips the scales at close to a tonne and a half. Actually with around 120 horses, even cars like ANHC (gem of a petrol motor) and the New Verna 1.6 petrol are unable to get inside single digits for the dash to the ton and they weight much lesser than Jetta.
Possible, my reference here was the previous generation Jetta (current in India). This is what the Jetta manage with a 7-speed DSG box.

Reference: www.oneshift.com

Power: 122 Bhp @ 5000 rpm
Torque: 200 Nm @ 1500 rpm
0-100 km/h: 9.8 secs
Transmission: 7 -speed DSG

For me the 1.4 TSI is a performance motor in the lines of the T-Jet from Fiat.
Old 28th June 2011, 11:55   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Possible, my reference here was the previous generation Jetta (current in India). This is what the Jetta manage with a 7-speed DSG box.

Reference: www.oneshift.com

Power: 122 Bhp @ 5000 rpm
Torque: 200 Nm @ 1500 rpm
0-100 km/h: 9.8 secs
Transmission: 7 -speed DSG

My data was from VW UK site where they put performance figures

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/je.../acceleration/

T-Jet has a good motor, but still takes 11+ seconds to the ton given the weight it needs to haul (on the Linea). Same for 1.4 TSI 122bhp Jetta.

Last edited by skjlives : 28th June 2011 at 11:57.
skjlives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 13:40   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The volume model for the Jetta is going to be the 2.0 TDi. With the TDi producing 140 Bhp, the 122 BHp petrol will not be able to carry off the tag of a performance motor. Its USP is going to be its class leading FE. With its power to weight ratio, my guess is it will do 0-100 in 11-12 secs.

THe Laura also has a petrol version. THe 1.8 TSi, which has a 20 Bhp advantage over the diesel and hence can be positioned as a perfomance motor over the diesel sibling. I guess VW strategy is to offer superior FE rather than performance, which may have prompted them to pick the 1.4 TSi over the 1.8 TSi for the Jetta.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks