Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 19:13   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: New VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
May be not...May be VW will trim down the Laura even more and always have it a notch below their own VW cars.

We never know.

The Laura L&K is one of the "complete" cars in this segment. They had to price it right to get more buyers.

L&K at 19L would have been mine..
I too feel VW will keep Skoda below them at all times.
Like when the Polo was launched, the Fabia was corrected and now comes with a much more affordable price tag.

actually it makes sense.
If you price them both equal, then you are not tapping another level of the segment.
by pricing the Skoda lower they are giving the VW group an advantage by having something which if folks find the Polo to pricey can still go for the Fabia, and the business will remain within the VW group.
Old 10th August 2011, 19:53   #212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I too feel VW will keep Skoda below them at all times.
Like when the Polo was launched, the Fabia was corrected and now comes with a much more affordable price tag.

actually it makes sense.
If you price them both equal, then you are not tapping another level of the segment.
by pricing the Skoda lower they are giving the VW group an advantage by having something which if folks find the Polo to pricey can still go for the Fabia, and the business will remain within the VW group.
If we take the sales of Passat v/s Superb as an indicator, those additional features in the Passat have not really helped. Appeal to a bigger band (with a stretched price range) should be what they are aiming at.

I think, in trim by trim comparison of lower to mid variants, the Jetta will have more features (ambiente v/s trendline, elegance v/s highline). The exception could be L&K v/s Highline. And this could have a positive impact on L&K. Currently, I think L&K’s share in the overall Laura numbers are only a handful.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 21:08   #213
BHPian

My my, was really hoping this would be the car in the D segment to beat. But too much bad press. Well, its going on sale in Pune on the 17th of August. Lets wait and watch, with fingers crossed.
Old 11th August 2011, 10:22   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If we take the sales of Passat v/s Superb as an indicator, those additional features in the Passat have not really helped. Appeal to a bigger band (with a stretched price range) should be what they are aiming at.

There is no way Passat can beat the lure value of Superb. As the name the car is just Superb. May be VW can just merge Superb with Passat and package one car that has everything Superb and Passat together has

Similarly L&K is another failure to me because at that price i am tempted to get a Superb. It has everything a 3 or even a 5 series has and c-Class has.

Superb by far is the best car for the money. Yet i would pick a passat. Dont ask me why
Old 15th August 2011, 10:33   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Why is there a palpable sense of disinterest in this car? The launch is one day away and the thread is almost dead. When is the tbhp review coming out?
Old 15th August 2011, 11:53   #216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why is there a palpable sense of disinterest in this car? The launch is one day away and the thread is almost dead. When is the tbhp review coming out?
A team is driving the car next weekend. Expect something after that
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 11:59   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Because its a little disappointing. Looks way too similar to the Vento, and like the Passat it was expected to bring segment first features. But in reality the Laura L&K is more loaded.
Old 15th August 2011, 12:03   #218
Senior - BHPian

I guess its because it's because people expect it to be pretty similiar to Laura and still priced at a premium. And relatively plain jane looks ! Just look at Passat vs Superb for example, while Superb is considered to be awesome VFM, Passat has failed to set sales charts on fire.

Quite a situation for VW where Skoda is beating it hollow in the premium segments
Old 15th August 2011, 13:01   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Because its atbs little disappointing. Looks way too similar to the Vento, and like the Passat it was expected to bring segment first features. But in reality the Laura L&K is more loaded.
Hey the looks are so radically different then the outgoing jetta. Why do you call it vento like from the front? It can also be called passat like right;-) . The car is also coming with smoked headlights which look so classy. The back is very A4 ish. All in all I feel it looks better and fresher then laura. The pricing is still not out so lets hope for the best. Most important thing in my opinion is that how many of us forum members atleast are comfortable spending/gambling money on a skoda car today?
Old 15th August 2011, 14:11   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Hey the looks are so radically different then the outgoing jetta. Why do you call it vento like from the front? It can also be called passat like right;-) . The car is also coming with smoked headlights which look so classy. The back is very A4 ish. All in all I feel it looks better and fresher then laura. The pricing is still not out so lets hope for the best. Most important thing in my opinion is that how many of us forum members atleast are comfortable spending/gambling money on a skoda car today?
Completely agree with you. Disinterest is one, and also a bit of negativity. I have seen the car here. Maybe a bit of plastic quality drop here and there (compared to the old Jetta), but the new one is a handsome looking car. It looks nice from every angle, looks more proportionate than the Passat, loads of space all around. Similarity to Vento is not a bad thing. I personally feel Vento is a very good looking number, and the Jetta betters that

I am sure that GTO/Ajmat will be gearing up for the official review. I am so interested to know how the India specific model drives – especially on the steering response

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th August 2011 at 14:11. Reason: Realigned
Old 15th August 2011, 15:39   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Completely agree with you. Disinterest is one, and also a bit of negativity. I have seen the car here. Maybe a bit of plastic quality drop here and there (compared to the old Jetta), but the new one is a handsome looking car. It looks nice from every angle, looks more proportionate than the Passat, loads of space all around. Similarity to Vento is not a bad thing. I personally feel Vento is a very good looking number, and the Jetta betters that

I am sure that GTO/Ajmat will be gearing up for the official review. I am so interested to know how the India specific model drives – especially on the steering response
Exactly. Even I love the looks of the vento. Honestly I don't see any problem in a family look across the portfolio. It creates an image of the brand that you start identifying with. To an amateur all bmws look pretty similar specially from the front.

Ajmat has said above that the review should be put up next week. The wait is agonizing.
Old 15th August 2011, 16:06   #222
Senior - BHPian

This car while will stand little chance to be a segment leader, will still have a lot of positives and anyone doubting its build quality can be assured the car for India will not have flimsy quality like the US spec which is built to a cost for vw to be able to get a bigger pie in the US, also expect this to be quite competetive which now VW will try to do as the investments made for the 1st gen jetta were not huge as they were only starting up and they still did manage enough volumes with a car which was not marketed well enough and I think those who have had the previous Jetta are absolutely satisfied with their purchase.

Cannot wait for the official release and variants including petrol at a later stage if ever,

Regards,
Old 15th August 2011, 19:06   #223
Senior - BHPian

The laura sure has presence.
But trust me i saw the Jetta on the road the other day, it has quite a lot of street presence from the back and rear 3quarter atleast. from afar i really thought it was an Audi A4. Then as we got closer it became clear that this was the new Jetta. I guess because the previous gen Jetta did not kick off. people are not expecting much out of this one either. But i seriously hope VW price this one correctly. If priced well it could end up being a desirable vehicle for many.
Old 15th August 2011, 20:07   #224
BHPian

Well its a very desirable baby alright. Now if only they price it within reach, it might it up in many more garages than we think. There are a lot of people out there who would want to associate with the brand image and quality products in their line up. Vento success is proof of that. Its only because of this senseless pricing strategy adopted by Volkswagen up until now that they haven't been able to capitalise on their brand image and convert them into sales figures.

I just hope they have realised this by now and start pricing their products in line with the market and competition. Ultimately every company wants to sell more cars and make more money. What good is brand value if you are m not making money? They want to hold on to their premium tag above Skoda by charging a premium. But if nobody is buying, the balance sheet is going red. And their premium tag will go for a dive as well.

Just hope...as I said. I'm waiting with my heart in my hands as we approach the deadline. Less, than 36 hours to go.... to know if this baby is going to end up in my driveway.....

Of course the team bhp review is bible and will have the final say on my decision. But the verdict is out and I am I love.
Old 15th August 2011, 23:48   #225
BHPian

Oh no,the car has not yet been launched and there are already news of a probable recall in U.S due to fuel pump leak in 2.0 lit diesel-the one we should be getting-hope they correct it soon.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed