Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2011, 18:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 320d Performance Edition

I would seriously recommend you get the exhaust from BMW India or else you will lose your warranty and also if it costs you 30k there and 50k here I assume it will end up being 30k + charges to install which will leave you with little difference.

Just my 2 cents, and the ECU mod makes a lot of sense as far as I see, it keeps the warranty intact and adds a good amount of difference to the car, yes aftermarket chips are there but a lot of people including myself, prefer things done from the manufacturer rather than to land up in any kind of a dispute related to the car and it's working.

Regards,
Old 10th September 2011, 18:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG View Post
BMW India is offering an ecu mod (i think it might be an add-on piggyback chip) and a performance silencer (this one i think only for diff sound) for the 320d.

Total price for both is around 2L. I was sent the quote but have it on my work computer. Will put it up here next week if anybody wants to know the actual figures.

The ecu mod alone was a round 1.5L. Totally waste of money i think. I got the race chip for 10% of this, and its great! Just awesome.
I took a detour when i read this and looked up your gallery.The figures are just astonishing,225 bhp and 436 nm are brilliant numbers!You have one excellent 3!

How has been the experience?Reliability?And what about the warranty?

Although i agree with S350-E240 about a factory backed ECU mod is safer,cant help but look at BMW 1.5L price and your figures from your racetech chip.Although exhausts from BMW makes sense.
Old 10th September 2011, 18:31   #33
BHPian

Reg the ecu mod, it is actually a piggyback and takes me 2 mins to remove and re-install. Its been to BMW service twice in about 2 years - once for a painting, and the second time for a service. I removed the chip before sending it there. So no question about loosing warranty here.

Reg the exhaust, I was actually thinking the same. Hence my preference to get the exhaust from BMW only. But BMW germany will be cheaper. I found a price of this part number online - and it worked out to around 30k in Europe. And if I can work out a way of getting a refund of the vat, it will be around 15% cheaper. Getting the exhaust from BMW india is around 50k. Installation is anyways extra in both cases. I'm not sure how the BMW India boys will react to my bringing the exhaust from Europe and not buying from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I took a detour when i read this and looked up your gallery.The figures are just astonishing,225 bhp and 436 nm are brilliant numbers!You have one excellent 3!

How has been the experience?Reliability?And what about the warranty?

Although i agree with S350-E240 about a factory backed ECU mod is safer,cant help but look at BMW 1.5L price and your figures from your racetech chip.Although exhausts from BMW makes sense.
awesome acceleration. can really feel the difference. I remove the chip when I send the car for service. So my warranty is still intact.

The bhp and torque figures are from the race chip site. I do think that these figures are kinda inflated though.

I had this chip in my innova earlier. That was my guinea pig car I guess. A friends dad got a racechip for his A6 3.0TD. Became one really fast car.

Last edited by n_aditya : 17th May 2012 at 15:23. Reason: posts merged. Please use the edit button or multiquote option if new post is within 30 mins of first post, thanks!
Old 10th September 2011, 20:18   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG View Post
BMW India is offering an ecu mod (i think it might be an add-on piggyback chip) and a performance silencer (this one i think only for diff sound) for the 320d.

Total price for both is around 2L. I was sent the quote but have it on my work computer. Will put it up here next week if anybody wants to know the actual figures.

The ecu mod alone was a round 1.5L. Totally waste of money i think. I got the race chip for 10% of this, and its great! Just awesome.

I was earlier trying to get my hands on the eisenmann exhaust, but dropped the idea after BMW told me I will lose my warranty on the car if I installed this. Now that BMW is offering an exhaust, I am interested. Have also told my cousin in Germany to find this for me at a cheaper price point. I'm guessing it should around 30k in Germany.
Do find out properly my friend, I read a bit on e90post that the performance package costs about $2000 for an A/T car. That is still about a lakh.

With the ECU mod you get a new ECU, a more powerful cooling fan, a different torque converter for the a/t, and then a cat back exhaust. I was quoted 3l for this today, but not exacts. If you can find out about the exact cost it would be great.

So its not just an ECU upgrade.

The silencer too will make a difference and change the sound.
Old 11th September 2011, 08:54   #35
BHPian

will put up the quote I got from Kun BMW tomorrow. It was around 2L for ecu and silencer without installation. Not sure if taxes are included.
Old 17th May 2012, 02:24   #36
BHPian

I know this is an old thread, i saw the 320d performance edition today at the showroom, isn't it a cooperate edition with the cosmetic extras? i didn't see an idrive nor was there a sunroof i think..

Thanks..
Old 17th May 2012, 12:13   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
I know this is an old thread, i saw the 320d performance edition today at the showroom, isn't it a cooperate edition with the cosmetic extras? i didn't see an idrive nor was there a sunroof i think..

Thanks..
It is an add-on kit for any edition you want. The additions are gaudy stickers on each side, mock carbon-fiber spoiler and rear view mirrors, different alloys and tyres (I think the same as 330i) with 225/45R17 upfront and 255/40R17 rear and some skirting and blackened kidney grills

If you go for a corp edition, the tyre size upgrades are great but if you have an exclusive edition then the upgrade doesn't make sense since you already get 225/45R17 on both front and back.

It is way too much money for too less kit in my opinion
Old 17th May 2012, 14:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elantracrdi05 View Post
It is an add-on kit for any edition you want. The additions are gaudy stickers on each side, mock carbon-fiber spoiler and rear view mirrors, different alloys and tyres (I think the same as 330i) with 225/45R17 upfront and 255/40R17 rear and some skirting and blackened kidney grills

If you go for a corp edition, the tyre size upgrades are great but if you have an exclusive edition then the upgrade doesn't make sense since you already get 225/45R17 on both front and back.

It is way too much money for too less kit in my opinion
hmmn, i agree with you, i sort of prefer the 320d exclusive/325i rims more than these dunno why The only thing i like are the carbonfiber mirror covers..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks