Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 20:19   #61
BANNED

Re: Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
And Honda has NOT modified the City or the Civic to cater to this. The underside gets scraped with almost every single speedbraker.
True that. My friend owns a civic and had to replace the axle twice due to the low ground clearance.

With 5 people seated in the car, even a small speed breaker and cause scraping with is really heart breaking considering the amount people spend on such cars. Manufacturers should seriously reconsider the ground clearance before officially launching the car in India. What are pre-launch tests for?

You look at any civic in mumbai and the underside will definitely carry dents and other type of damages.
Old 9th March 2011, 20:56   #62
BHPian

Re: Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for I

an article on the indicator stalk issue. Note the comments, its interesting

Why not have the indicator stalk control on the right hand side of steering wheel...?
Old 10th March 2011, 00:46   #63
Senior - BHPian

Having indicator stalks on the right side works very well. Here's how:
-Steering and indicator for the right hand and gear for the left hand.
-I can steer and change indicator at the same time
-You might need to downshift and change lanes at the same time. Difficult for the left hand to do both.
-Wipers are used rarely and you hardly need to used them at the same time with the gear.

When Japanese and Korean companies can support for both RHD and LHD, why can't European and American companies? How much would it cost to change the stalks when the whole steering column can be moved? When Ford can make bigger doors "just for saree wearing Indian women", how big is a change is reversing the stalks?
Old 10th March 2011, 07:40   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
When Japanese and Korean companies can support for both RHD and LHD, why can't European and American companies?
When i was in the US, I never saw a single car of Honda or Suzuki with indicator stalks on the left, so get your facts right before commenting.

Only Subaru has some models with both LHD and RHD support and is probably the only car manufacturer in the world to offer this.

Giving support for Both sided indicator stalks leads to

1. New production design facility or using the same facility to produce 2 different types.
2. Inventory issue
3. Logistics issue
4. Entire steering cloumn to be redesigned, this would also mean shifting of the ignition key-hole, a lot of time and money spent. I am sure you would not like to pay double for the stalks, would you? Also would you like to insert the key from the LHS?

All leading to rising costs.

BTW : This is a modification discussion thread and not an indicator stalk discussion thread, It is also not a cost cutting modifications thread. Mods please move the posts on the indicator stalks to a suitable new thread.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 10th March 2011 at 08:01.
Old 10th March 2011, 10:45   #65
Team-BHP Support

I drive a skoda and a swift. I have no issues, I merely adapt accordingly to the switch placement
Old 10th March 2011, 12:37   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Car Import Duties - India
Couldn't find an official GOI website about it.
Here it specifically says the car should be RHD and having RHD controls.
And @joe-ker. You are right about the headlight symmetry.
And befor my post goes as spam here.

What about the seat size? I mean there are a lot of vehicles that have slimmer seats especially for India to give more airy space.
Old 10th March 2011, 13:27   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Ker View Post
Another one : Saw this on some website but can some one confirm?

Cars driven on the right side of the road usually have headlights which are aimed slightly to the right when not on full beam, and vice-versa.

Appears logical, is it really followed? Both my cars have slightly Lefty beams. Any righties on Tbhp?
As far as I know, all cars I have driven in India (Fiesta, Waggie, M800, Padmini, Amby) have a leftish orientation on low beam. It aids in seeing the left edge of the road when I dip to avoid blinding a vehicle passing in the opposite direction on an undivided road.

@Mustang---still waiting for your response on the dog bar in the Fiesta. Is it still there in post 2006 manufactured Fiestas?
Old 10th March 2011, 14:50   #68
BHPian

Fuel Filling lid (and probably tank placement) on the left side due to LHS driving in India. I don't recollect seeing any vehicle barring heavy vehicles in India with lid on right side though it's quite common to see vehicles in US of both kinds.
Old 10th March 2011, 15:03   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Fuel Filling lid (and probably tank placement) on the left side due to LHS driving in India. I don't recollect seeing any vehicle barring heavy vehicles in India with lid on right side though it's quite common to see vehicles in US of both kinds.
I thought India is RHS driving and the Linea has fuel lid on RHS

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
Old 10th March 2011, 15:22   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLove View Post
I thought India is RHS driving and the Linea has fuel lid on RHS
- was wondering how to word it, driving on left side of road = LHS driving, with controls on RHS
Old 10th March 2011, 15:43   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

@Mustang---still waiting for your response on the dog bar in the Fiesta. Is it still there in post 2006 manufactured Fiestas?
Yes it is still there.
Old 10th March 2011, 19:21   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Yes it is still there.
I believe my IKON also has it. Is it India Specific?
Old 17th March 2011, 15:48   #73
BHPian

SX4, I believe is available in AWD in the USA. In India, this option is not available even on the ZXI. Would make it more expensive for the Indian market I suppose.
Old 17th March 2011, 22:58   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
SX4, I believe is available in AWD in the USA. In India, this option is not available even on the ZXI. Would make it more expensive for the Indian market I suppose.
An AWD is not as cheap as you think, it will take the cars price up by a good 5 lacs minimum. What is the point of AWD with 100 bhp anyway ?
Old 18th March 2011, 02:04   #75
BHPian

[quote=Mustang.101;2272792]When i was in the US, I never saw a single car of Honda or Suzuki with indicator stalks on the left, so get your facts right before commenting.

Only Subaru has some models with both LHD and RHD support and is probably the only car manufacturer in the world to offer this. ]

I have driven 97 Lexus with indicator stalks on Left as well as 96 Camry in USA. Currently, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Lexus and Acura all have indicator stalks on left side here in USA and Toyota and Honda have them on right side in India. Don't want to comment on Nissan india since I have not driven any. Even Hyundai also have indicator stalks on Left side in USA and on right side in India.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 18th March 2011 at 02:09.

Most Viewed