Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2011, 16:11   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Delhi Police says "Hello SX4, Farewell Ambassador"!

SX4! That is some luxury.

I remember Maharashtra police replacing their Ambys with Indigos. And Sumos with Qualis.

On related note : Didn't the Govt. of India pass some resolution some time back to replace the Ambys for Ministers with Esteems?

But SX4 for Delhi Police - Their "chaud" (read : arrogance) will grow even more.
Old 8th March 2011, 16:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Delhi Police should concentrate more on law and order in the city instead of getting new cars. They keep on changing bikes and cars (from bullet to pulsar, from gypsy to tavera/qualis). Our money can be used for more necessary jobs.

Why only SX4? If they were to go for Maruti only then they could have chosen Dzire or they could have gone for Mahindra bolero.

PS - I have spotted many SUV's like Tata safari, Ford endeavour with Delhi police tags and blue/red beacons.

Last edited by bluevolt : 8th March 2011 at 16:26.
Old 8th March 2011, 17:11   #18
BHPian

And they are procuring Hyundai accent(s) for patrol cars too!

I agree that the amby was rather unreliable, but, the SX4 for officials?
Old 8th March 2011, 17:53   #19
BHPian

I have seen Chennai police using Hyundai Accent for patrol, on one occasion. Just curious if its a regular thing or rare few cases?
Old 8th March 2011, 18:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised that the delhi police took soo long to shift from ambys to sx4's. Whats with most of punjab haryana and hp officials visitng delhi on a regular basis in their sonatas , crv's , innovas, fortuners etc . Amby as an official vehicle lost its sheen few years ago with various state governemnts in north india and understandably so. Despite its back seat the car has remained virtually unchanged in last 15 years and the Sx4 is a superior product to an amby is most aspects. This is coming from someone who has been riding in an amby for more than 2 decades. However i do have to admit that the presence an amby has on the road with a red beacon and a flag post is very rarely matched by any other car. Again coming from someone who has a camry and a crv as official vehicles. Also the "sarkari babu" has to feel important and needs to be pampered after all they run the show.

Last edited by bigron : 8th March 2011 at 18:03.
Old 8th March 2011, 18:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think these cars will be VXi CNGs.
Old 8th March 2011, 19:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
I have seen Chennai police using Hyundai Accent for patrol, on one occasion. Just curious if its a regular thing or rare few cases?

Those are 100 accents given as a gift by Hyundai to Chennai city police as patrol cars. They are still around but most of them lying in the police station rusting for want of spares and repairs yet to sanctioned by the finance dept. of Police. So the ones which are on road, only Sub Inspectors are entitled to ride in the a/c comfort. The cars are mainly for patrolling like in most metros abroad. But only the ones in CM's motorcade are fully operational and are using the beautiful blinkers to the best. Should say really, those blinker atop the vehicle are really cool!! gives a international police like feel. something on the lines of NYPD or Singapore Police.
Old 8th March 2011, 19:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Good news IMO. Feels nice that officials will travel in modern day cars, rather than the rugged Ambys.
Would these be the Petrol SX4's or the newly launched SX4 Diesels?

Other State officials to follow soon?
Old 8th March 2011, 19:40   #24
BHPian

Good news, Ambassador should be discarded as the official vehicle and maybe then HM will concentrate on making cars and selling them, and stop making a joke out of Mitsubishi.
Old 8th March 2011, 20:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

On the similar lines. Chennai also has the Hyundai Accent to boast about. Had seen the cars a few times when I had been to Chennai, though they looked to be in a rolling dilapidated stage now, but cool none the less.

Guess the SX4 guys are also going to be rolling in a god set of wheels.
Old 8th March 2011, 20:12   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
On the similar lines. Chennai also has the Hyundai Accent to boast about. Had seen the cars a few times when I had been to Chennai, though they looked to be in a rolling dilapidated stage now, but cool none the less.

Guess the SX4 guys are also going to be rolling in a god set of wheels.
The Chennai Traffic Police accents are patrol cars. The SX4s would be replacing the Ambys, so these should be cars the higher officials use. Do you know that the Chennai Police higher officials use ANHCs now?
Old 8th March 2011, 20:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
you think SX4 is luxurious for government officials? think again! i've seen the likes of Fortuners, Corollas and Mercs running with GOI board and beacons!
there is a difference between allotted and individual purchases.
Like instead of using accodomation provided by goverment , minsters choose to stay in their own homes. They can choose to use their own vehicle instead.
Old 8th March 2011, 20:46   #28
BHPian

I hope this wakes up Hindustan Motors and makes them bring value to their JV with Mitsubishi. I wonder what would happens if the Kolkatta Taxi fleet owners start replacing the Ambys with some other car? That for sure IMO would mark the end of an Era.
Old 8th March 2011, 21:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Now I guess we are getting confused between the patrol vehicles and the executive vehicles.

It has always been a mode that the patrol vehicles are generally the jeep kind of vehicles and the executive vehicles like those provided to the ministers, Asst Commr of Police etc, these have generally been the Ambassadors (for basic reason that Ambassadors are not good enough to chase any running criminals.)

What has been happening in Tamil Nadu is recently the patrol vehicles have given way to Accents initially and later to Bolero. But still the executive vehicles are Ambassador.
But what is now happening in Delhi looks like they are procuring the SX4 for executive vehicles (not the patrol vehicles, if they are Deisel). Dont think Diesel will be taken for patrol vehicles as they are not quick enough.
Old 9th March 2011, 07:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Surprisinglythe Delhi police haven't asked for the Kizashi's and have settled for the SX4.

Seriously the Police are well off with the SUV's rather than the sedan. This would add to the "Dhauns" (read connections) they already have on the roads. An SUV would have been a better choice given the ruggedness and the adaptability to cover any terrain in case the Police need at times. IMO a Bolero, Scorpio would have been an ideal choice or for that matter they could have asked Maruti to manufactuire custom built Gypsy.

Most Viewed