Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 21:19   #46
BHPian

Re: Delhi Police says "Hello SX4, Farewell Ambassador"!

I dont really understand why people are cribbing about this move. SX4 is not a luxury car in any sense! Further, very few (read high ranking) officials are eligible for a car. And keeping corruption aside, they should be eligible for a car considering their lower salary levels as compared to private employees or business men. These are the perks which keep them happy and prevent shifting to private sector.
Old 18th November 2011, 13:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quoting from a recent report in Hindustan times, Delhi police is all set to replace more than 100 of its PCR vans (Police Control Room Vans) with SX4. This may be an extension of the earlier changes for their top brass. Read - New look PCR vans soon - Hindustan Times

It is however not clear if these would be the petrol or diesel SX4s but with over 100 horses in tap the SX4 Green (CNG Version) should be a good bet to catch up with the runaway criminals in their swank rides. Also as mentioned earlier it is ideal for armed forces and law and order agencies to go for this with its near SUV like ground clearence of 170 mm. The big question is what will happen to its brand image as a private vehicle, looking at how these cars got a beating after introducing them commercially or for public purposes - Logan in major cities as City Taxi and Accents in Chennai as patrol cars. Only time will tell!
Old 18th November 2011, 14:04   #48
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Great news, better late than never. Does this facilitate the dinosaur being sent where it belongs?
Old 18th November 2011, 14:06   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
IMO they should have gone for a cheaper alternative, say a Indigo CS.
I don't understand why these Govt. officials go for costly cars using tax payers money when majority of the tax payers themselves look for cheaper cost effective alternatives.
Totally agreed. Even an Indica diesel will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshA View Post
I dont agree to your theory.
To me a better car creates a better impression. So if it can be afforded within the budget, so be it. After all we arent pauper.
Better impression where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
I strongly feel MSIL must have given the Delhi police a nice deal for the cars. It's good publicity for them too. Any idea which model has been given; petrol, CNG, diesel?
What do you guys mean by publicity? You want the Govt employees to enjoy while the common man is suffering?
Old 18th November 2011, 15:52   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
.... iconic ' inverted tub ' , which we are so used to see !

So, now the bathtub curve will not be applicable any more !!!
Old 18th November 2011, 18:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

I hope it is the CNG version. If not, atleast the diesel. At any cost, please not the petrol SX4 - apart from low FE, the cost to the taxpayer increases when the fuel is petrol.

I saw the Japanese police using black Altos in Tokyo - have a snap too. Why can't our cops use the same as patrol cars - would not only be cheap to buy / own / maintain, they can be good to sneak through traffic and go through small alleys etc. Much simpler than manouvering an Accent through the chennai streets.
Old 19th November 2011, 09:31   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I hope it is the CNG version. If not, atleast the diesel. At any cost, please not the petrol SX4 - apart from low FE, the cost to the taxpayer increases when the fuel is petrol.

I saw the Japanese police using black Altos in Tokyo - have a snap too. Why can't our cops use the same as patrol cars - would not only be cheap to buy / own / maintain, they can be good to sneak through traffic and go through small alleys etc. Much simpler than manouvering an Accent through the chennai streets.
+1 But i guess it be petrol surely . why would anybody care for a tax payers money . more so when there is no accountability
Old 30th November 2011, 20:05   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
What do you guys mean by publicity? You want the Govt employees to enjoy while the common man is suffering?
Publicity because we and "umpteen" hundreds of people are talking about it. That's building up brand name for MSIL, indirectly.

And as for your other question, I don't want to answer it here since that's a non-automotive topic.
Old 30th November 2011, 20:32   #54
BHPian

Wow! That's a nice move. SX4 for the cops. Now, they will have so much fun chasing the goons.

Why SX4? I haven't understood the purpose of a saloon car for patrolling.

Why do they need a boot? A Swift could have made more sense (and more fun) here. Fast, cheap (compared to SX4), reliable and fuel efficient. If not the new ones, Delhi government could have asked Maruti for the previous generation Swift. This would not dent the image, keep the costs low and you have an aptly able car for the job.
Old 30th November 2011, 23:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
IMO they should have gone for a cheaper alternative, say a Indigo CS.
I don't understand why these Govt. officials go for costly cars using tax payers money when majority of the tax payers themselves look for cheaper cost effective alternatives.
Why should not a senior officer of the Indian Government travel in a SX4 ? It is not a luxury car by any means of imagination. It is certainly not a BMW. The Amby would have been the luxury car when the Govt started purchasing them. These are given as a pick up and drop car for senior officers only, not for your local Inpector or SI. In as much as a manager in an IT company has done his engineering and MBA, these people too have studied, qualified and put in at least 15-20 years service before they are eligible for this "Eye catching" privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
Dont understand how comfortable these officers will be in the back seat of SX4 ... which has a hard suspension. Amby offers better rear seat comfort.
That I totally agree, there is not many cars in the Indian market sub 8L that offer the back seat comfort of an amby, but the frequent repairs and running cost have also come into the equation now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
You want the Govt employees to enjoy while the common man is suffering?
Enjoy what ? Traveling in a car ? So how many govt cars are there in comparison with the total population of cars in the country ? Actually, there is a bit of news that will make you feel better. The govt stopped buying cars except for the senior most officers/High Court Judges etc. For all other purposes, Indicas, Indigos are hired on monthly basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
Why SX4? I haven't understood the purpose of a saloon car for patrolling.
I am sure it is not for patrolling. Have you ever seen an Amby patrol in recent times ?
Old 1st December 2011, 01:20   #56
BHPian

They should have been given a Tata Xenon XT or Mahindra Getaway each, I tell you. That would have been awesome. Different, eye-catching and freakishly cool
Dudes we need a cooler capital !
Old 1st December 2011, 10:01   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Why should not a senior officer of the Indian Government travel in a SX4 ? It is not a luxury car by any means of imagination. It is certainly not a BMW. The Amby would have been the luxury car when the Govt started purchasing them. These are given as a pick up and drop car for senior officers only, not for your local Inpector or SI. In as much as a manager in an IT company has done his engineering and MBA, these people too have studied, qualified and put in at least 15-20 years service before they are eligible for this "Eye catching" privilege.
Sure its not a luxury car and there is no compare between Govt. officials and 'manager in IT company'. From where does the budget comes for these cars? Most of it is from we tax payers! So why not they go for a cheaper alternative? I have no issues if they use BMW or rather a chopper for their pickup and drop if they don't use tax payers money.

There are some many guys who have done their Engineering + MBA or highly qualified with 15-20 years of work experience in this forum itself!! So by your logic they all are eligible for this 'eye catching' privilege!!
Old 7th December 2012, 07:33   #58
BHPian

Which would be a safer bet in accidents? SX4 or Ambassador? Have the IPS officers been given the top of the line SX4 with airbags?
Old 7th December 2012, 09:34   #59
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

In the early days the cops used Ambys and Mahindra Jeeps.
Look at those circa 1970's movies where the wicked villains invariably buzzed around in Chevy Impalas, Mercs, Toyotas and other stylish imported vehicles, leaving the poor cops eating their dust.

Whats new nowadays?
The cops have Gypsys, Boleros, Armadas, Tempo Traxs and maybe Scorpios and so on.
The wicked villains of India (politicos, real estate devils, thieves, rogues and scum of all descriptions) have Fortuners, BMW's. Mercs, Rangies and other fancy stuff which do leace the cops still with no change in their "dusty diet" and will in all probability continue even when they get their SX4's.

Italian Police use Lambos.
In the earlier years the Brit cops used to use those powerful Wolseleys, Rovers and whatnot. Now they use BMWs.
The German cops use Mercs and sometimes even Porsches.
The Aussie cops use powerful Holdens.

Even the Madras cops use Hyundai Accents so why cant our Delhi cops be allowed to use the humble SX4's?

In fact as part of the overall modernization efforts of the police forces, why not completely allow all state police forces to use the best quality Indian made/ manufactured cars within a certain budget?

All police vehicles can run on CNG - the government can easily provide controlled CNG pumps within the premises of the Police transport/ vehicle pool services.

We need to also invest in our forces if we want them to be effective. As of this moment we dont even provide basics like safety kit, high visibility jackets and things, gas masks (to save them from the poison fumes they are breathing daily), basic sunglasses to cut the harsh glare of the Indian Sun, water bottles to beat the heat, proper shoes to enable comfort as well as utility for the heat etc.

I think it is ridiculous to expect this poorly paid, hopelessly understaffed police force to help with governance. Especially in a country like ours where every man is a law unto himself and we have no concept of self-regulation, common courtesy, civic-sense and public spirited-ness.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 10:22   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Time to join Delhi Police

SX4 is very good car for sure but are these Petrol once? Must be as diesel is launched recently. Its not very economical for sure. After all its government money, means our money. I guess Diesel Manza would have been good option instead of the SX4.

Do police really need the luxury vehicle like SX4 ?? Just a thought, not pointing to anyone here.

In my opinion Bolero is the best vehicle for police. In Dabang movie, Chulbul Pande is using white bolero which looks good
A diesel car is a complete no-no in a city like Delhi which is officially 'green'. See all Delhi govt departments have cars fitted with CNG kits. I know because my dad is a Delhi govt. official. So a diesel car is out of the picture.

However, in case of Delhi police, which does not come under the govt. of Delhi-- the officers have petrol/CNG cars but the Innova PCR vans do run on diesel.

P.S. Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit moves around in a petrol SUV -- Grand Vitara and she also has a Reva EV.

Most Viewed