Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2011, 13:51   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Delhi Police says "Hello SX4, Farewell Ambassador"!

Highpoints :

- A signature of government officials, the Ambassador, is all set to be phased out pretty soon. The Delhi Police has decided to phase out Ambassador Cars completely and replace them with the Maruti SX4.

- Phasing out of the Ambassador has just started with the police department receiving twelve SX4s. Commissioner BK Gupta was the first to get his car replaced with a brand new SX4.

- The SX4s being provided to Delhi Police are equipped with a radio tag (for security reasons). This is the only difference in the features from the regular customer version.

- It may be recollected that the Army also submitted a proposal to replace their complete fleet of Ambassadors with SX4s in end 2010.

- The Government forms a majority customer base for the Ambassador; fact is, the Ambassador outsells all of HM-Mitsubishi's range of more modern cars (like the Cedia for instance). HM will not be happy with this news.

Last edited by GTO : 8th March 2011 at 13:53.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi Police says "Hello SX4, Farewell Ambassador"!

What will happen to Hindoostan Motors?

In their JV with Mitsubishi: Mitsubishi doesn't seem to be keen on helping.
And now this ...

I think they should go the Royal Enfield way: market Amby as a classic car with modern amenities.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

IMO they should have gone for a cheaper alternative, say a Indigo CS.
I don't understand why these Govt. officials go for costly cars using tax payers money when majority of the tax payers themselves look for cheaper cost effective alternatives.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:16   #4
BHPian

Dont understand how comfortable these officers will be in the back seat of SX4 ... which has a hard suspension. Amby offers better rear seat comfort.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good move since maintenance could be easier than HM.

In Bengaluru, the favourite among local officials are Innova or Verna. They understand the ride quality that these cars offer in city. (on the roads that the officials are maintaining).
Old 8th March 2011, 14:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
IMO they should have gone for a cheaper alternative, say a Indigo CS.
I don't understand why these Govt. officials go for costly cars using tax payers money when majority of the tax payers themselves look for cheaper cost effective alternatives.
I dont agree to your theory.
To me a better car creates a better impression. So if it can be afforded within the budget, so be it. After all we arent pauper.
vigneshA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2011, 14:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Time to join Delhi Police

SX4 is very good car for sure but are these Petrol once? Must be as diesel is launched recently. Its not very economical for sure. After all its government money, means our money. I guess Diesel Manza would have been good option instead of the SX4.

Do police really need the luxury vehicle like SX4 ?? Just a thought, not pointing to anyone here.

In my opinion Bolero is the best vehicle for police. In Dabang movie, Chulbul Pande is using white bolero which looks good
Old 8th March 2011, 14:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Having mixed feelings on reading this ! Its good that government officials have moved to more modern cars ( probably more efficient and clean ? ) , but if these measures continue in other parts and other departments , we will miss the iconic ' inverted tub ' , which we are so used to see !
Old 8th March 2011, 14:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Highpoints :- A signature of government officials, the Ambassador, is all set to be phased out pretty soon.
That's old news. Ambassador's monopoly over Govt. cars ended years ago.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

They should all be given Nanos at the most. What is the need for luxury or comfort when the majority of the populace has travel nightmares in peak hours?
Old 8th March 2011, 14:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Its about time the age old Amby was phased out, but still, it offers better rear seat comfort than the SX4.

The government people will now have to compromise comfort for newer tech. Not sure if this would make then happy, however, the drivers sure will sport a huge grin.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

you think SX4 is luxurious for government officials? think again! i've seen the likes of Fortuners, Corollas and Mercs running with GOI board and beacons!
Old 8th March 2011, 14:44   #13
BHPian

Ironh4wk certain govt. Officials are allowed to use beacons on their vehicles; and certain more do so inspite of the rules

Its been a long time back that the Amby was phased out. For example higher judicary in most states uses modern sedans. The IT Deparment has been hiring sedans for long terms for last n number of years. This news report seems more like Maruti publicity stunt at the time of SX4 diesel launch.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:44   #14
BANNED

Good news. It is nice to know that the SX4 is replacing the Ambassador. Whenever I come to Delhi especially, I m surprised to see the number of VIP Ambys on the streets, in their varying conditions of rot and and expensive upkeep.

While I agree that the Amby's back seat comfort is legendary, everything else in it is just as passe.
Old 8th March 2011, 15:12   #15
BHPian

If the cars are not undergoing any major change (bulletproofing etc)Why purchase and have the hassel of maintenance/drivers etc. They should simply contract these services to a reputed fleet service just like private companies do.

Considering the utlization of these vehicles - it might actually work out cheaper in the long run. Of course, it's another opportunity for a 'connected person' to make money in this transaction.

Most Viewed