Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2011, 16:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Horses for Courses - A 100 bhp Figo?

Thought of starting this thread to gauge the views of fellow petrolheads:

We all know that the Figo is a good vehicle. Maybe, slightly old school design, but a vehicle which ticks all the correct boxes as far as value for money pricing, Space, nice looks, suspension, ride, handling etc are concerned.
It's even won our car of the year award.

The only box it doesn't seem to tick is the availability of a nice and punchy petrol motor - which brings us to the title of this thread.

Ford is using it's Fiesta diesel in the Figo. Ford has a lovely 1.6 L petrol in the Fiesta also. And Ford had a 1.6 L in the Fusion too.

So what prevents Ford from putting this engine in the Figo's commodious engine bay? Even if the price is dearer by Rs 40,000 am sure FORD will find enough enthusiasts as buyers.

I did dig around at other competitor dealerships just to get a "feel" of the 1.6hot hatch market. A certain German OEM sells around 10-15 units of its 1.6's on an average per month per dealer. The German's Czech cousin is also not far behind.

The FIGO is almost a year old now.
Time to add some spice to the brand, get that "halo" car out on the roads, and make it more desirable?
Why not Ford?
Am sure with the chassis dynamics that the FIGO has, a 1.6Figo will be a sweet machine to drive.

Over to you guys
Old 8th March 2011, 17:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Horses for Courses - A 100 bhp Figo?

I too feel Figo with the 100hp engine from the Fiesta will be be the best driver's Hatch. It already has the underpinnings of the Fiesta offering a very involving drive experience, it only lacks a punchy engine. But if Ford launches the 1.6 Dura-Tec engine in Figo expect it to be pricier as it won't be eligible for the excise concessions.

A variant with higher trim levels is required too.

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th March 2011 at 18:39. Reason: typo
Old 8th March 2011, 17:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Figo is sold in South Africa with a 90hp 1.4 litre petrol engine. I think this engine, with 15" alloys and a few extra features like special paint job, subtle body kit, and adjustable steering, will make an excellent "warm" hatch.

It won't cost Ford much to introduce this either.

Are you listening, Ford?
Old 8th March 2011, 18:01   #4
BHPian

Figo would be the most affordable hot hatch with 1.6 engine, but I would guess Ford would be planning the 1.6 option for the upcoming Fiesta Hatch!
Old 8th March 2011, 18:29   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

How I wouldn't love to drive a Figo with that engine. It'll also be more fun to drive (lighter, no boot) than the Fiesta, and cheaper too. I'm guessing Ford hasn't *yet* introduced that engine as to:

- Avoid a fuel guzzler image. See what the 1.6 GTX did to the Palio. 100 monthly Figo 1.6 owners redline, and then whine about "8 kpl".

- To justify the Fiesta's current price difference.

A Figo 100 BHP will be more of a hot hatch than the VW Polo 1.6 (still not exciting enough) or the Punto 90 BHP (just not quick enough). And hey, going by the Figo's VFM pricing, it will well undercut these two.

What are you waiting for, Ford? Car is ready, engine is ready, customers are ready.
Old 8th March 2011, 19:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

OK, lets take the Figo 1.6 way out.

How about the 1.6 Zetec unit that saw service in the Euro-spec Mark 5 Fiesta (that the Figo is based on)? 120bhp anyone?
Old 8th March 2011, 20:11   #7
dot
Senior - BHPian

Ok, here is an outrageous thought. Figo's 1.2 Duratec is derived from Fiesta's 1.6 L duratec. So external configurations, engine bay requirements and tranny couplings may be similar to both the engines. In that case, is it possible to transplant Figo's 1.2 with a Fiesta's 1.6?
Old 8th March 2011, 20:16   #8
BHPian

Excellent though dot!

I'm also wondering the same thing. The overall cost of a transplant could reduce the price difference between the Figo and the Germans substantially.
Old 8th March 2011, 20:19   #9
dot
Senior - BHPian

Well, thanks. I was thinking of doing this on personal basis though.
Old 8th March 2011, 21:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The next perfect enthusiast offering from Ford should definitely be the FIGO 1.6.

Ford has successfully made an impact in the hatch segment, and now, they just need to amp it up, with a 1.6 mill. May be in a year or so, it will happen, as the Figo needs to reinforce that fuel efficient image.

I'm already dreaming a white Figo, with black tints, 15" alloys, CAI and FFE.
Old 8th March 2011, 21:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

The thing is most probably Ford will eventually come out with such an option but not now,because they already have to cope with such strong Figo sales.

Mustang is the best person to answer this query.
Old 8th March 2011, 21:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
The Figo is sold in South Africa with a 90hp 1.4 litre petrol engine. I think this engine, with 15" alloys and a few extra features like special paint job, subtle body kit, and adjustable steering, will make an excellent "warm" hatch.

It won't cost Ford much to introduce this either.

Are you listening, Ford?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
OK, lets take the Figo 1.6 way out.

How about the 1.6 Zetec unit that saw service in the Euro-spec Mark 5 Fiesta (that the Figo is based on)? 120bhp anyone?
Any Engine size above 1200cc(Petrol) will attract same duty so for Ford the 1.6 Engine from the Fiesta makes most sense as this engine is currently sold in India. This will not only keep the production costs under check but will also help with already available technical support from Service centers and common spare parts will contribute to economies of scale.
Old 8th March 2011, 21:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Please find my reasons why Ford is not thinking your way:
1. They dont want to spoil the chances of a premium hatches simimlar to the New Fiesta hatch that might be coming in sometime.
2. The placement of Figo is well planned to be only a VFM, they dont want to spoil placement plan for Figo by trying to make it a enthusiasts favorite, and adding the cost of the car. General mindset of aam admi is to value a car with the price of highest variant. E.g. no matter how much the price of the Jazz is reduced its still considered costly/ premium as thier costliest variant is way beyond middle class' reach.
Old 8th March 2011, 21:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Xingamazon,if they do plonk in the 1.6 it will push up prices to a level which will be above figo's segment.

Also the new fiesta is coming,the old fiesta which will now be re christened as fiesta classic,so sales will be lower than now.So ford will not really be selling that many 1.6s anymore,and might phase the motor out altogether.

Last edited by avishar : 8th March 2011 at 22:05.
Old 8th March 2011, 22:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Considering the current Market scenario the 1.6 Diesel will make more sense.
Power without the expense of FE. No more whining about 8kmpl.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks