Team-BHP - Report & Pics: Volvo S60 Launched in Mumbai. Starts @ Rs. 27 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Report & Pics: Volvo S60 Launched in Mumbai. Starts @ Rs. 27 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/97830-report-pics-volvo-s60-launched-mumbai-starts-rs-27-lakhs.html)

Note from Support : GTO's Volvo S60 304 BHP AWD review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread.

This thread = closed

Volvo Auto India launched its all new S60 sedan in Mumbai at a press conference today. It will be the cheapest car from their brand compared to the XC60, XC90 and S80 which are already on sale. The S60 will be available as a Completely Built Unit (CBU) throughout the dealerships in India. According to Volvo it will advertise this car with the word, “Naughty”!!

Report & Pics: Volvo S60 Launched in Mumbai. Starts @ Rs. 27 lakhs-front.jpg

Report & Pics: Volvo S60 Launched in Mumbai. Starts @ Rs. 27 lakhs-sc60.jpg

Report & Pics: Volvo S60 Launched in Mumbai. Starts @ Rs. 27 lakhs-engie.jpg

The new S60 looks much more aggressive than the outgoing model. It will come with two diesel variants - D5 Kinetic, D5 Summum and a T6 Summum petrol variant. The D5 is a 5 cylinder, 2.4 L twin-turbo engine with output figures of 205 bhp and 420 Nm of torque (same as we've seen in the XC60), whereas the T6 is a 3.0L, inline – six producing 304 bhp and 440 Nm of torque.

Volvos’ Four-C Active Chassis is available throughout the S60 range. Other features include Pedestrian Detection with full auto brake, Advanced Stability Control, Engine Drag Control, Cornering Torque Control, Laser Assisted Automatic Braking, Active Bending Lights, Dynamic Stability and Traction Control, All-Wheel Drive on the T6 – Petrol variant. Most of these features are unique to the S60 in its segment.

Report & Pics: Volvo S60 Launched in Mumbai. Starts @ Rs. 27 lakhs-dash.jpg

The S60 also comes with an all new infotainment system called the “Sensus”. This system provides information from the audio unit, cellphone, navigation unit on a 7-inch screen mounted in the center console. It also has Ipod connectivity, USB, Bluetooth, Audio system with DVD and 8 speakers. The S60 also comes with a unique front mounted parking camera with a 178 degree view. Most of its provided features have been tested in India while the ones which are not provided include Lane Departure Warning, Driver Alert Control and Blind Spot Detection.

The S60 has been priced bang against its main rivals, the Audi A4, Mercedes C-Class and the BMW 3 Series.

Pricing of the Volvo S60: (Ex-showroom Mumbai)
D5 Kinetic - Rs. 27 lakhs
D5 Summum - Rs. 32 lakhs
T6 Summum - Rs. 34 lakhs
The D5 Kinetic is a bare basic model with almost everything being an optional extra, even leather seats. Taxis anyone?

Volvo provides a 2 year warranty with 2 years or 60,000 kms of free service as well.

Report & Pics: Volvo S60 Launched in Mumbai. Starts @ Rs. 27 lakhs-him.jpg

Speaking with Mr.Goran Larsson, President, Volvo Cars Malaysia about the current budget proposal regarding CKDs, he said that Volvo isnt worried about a hit back as all its cars are currently CBUs and they do not plan to put them as CKDs in the near future.

Secondly, in terms of their current wafer thin dealer network, Mr. Larsson said that they are trying to setup facilities in different parts of India but are waiting for better sales so that they do not burden the dealerships with cars that just stand there. The S60 is bound to boost their sales as it is priced in the 30 lakh bracket.

Mr. Goran Larsson, President, Volvo Cars Malaysia.
Report & Pics: Volvo S60 Launched in Mumbai. Starts @ Rs. 27 lakhs-him2.jpg

Mr. paul de Voijs, Managing Director, Volvo Auto India addressing the media.
Report & Pics: Volvo S60 Launched in Mumbai. Starts @ Rs. 27 lakhs-other.jpg

Coupe-ish side profile
Report & Pics: Volvo S60 Launched in Mumbai. Starts @ Rs. 27 lakhs-side.jpg

The rear leg space is limited.
Report & Pics: Volvo S60 Launched in Mumbai. Starts @ Rs. 27 lakhs-seat.jpg

New tail-light which goes all the way on the boot lid.
Report & Pics: Volvo S60 Launched in Mumbai. Starts @ Rs. 27 lakhs-light.jpg

Volvo seems to have got the pricing right with the S60. The T6 with 304bhp inline-six looks very exciting at 34 lakhs!! The 330i and 3.2fsi has some serious competition now. Can we expect a Teambhp official review soon? :)

Nice report Stratos. More than a sedan, the S60 actually looks like a notchback. I really like the front end of the car. From what I saw in the XC60, I expect good quality in the interiors but that fake wood centre console is not to my liking. Do they have various options for the interiors? And the Volvo D5 engine is quite noisy compared to its German rivals. The petrol V6 AWD sounds delicious though.

Volvo needs to work hard on expanding its network. Even with 4 models now in the Indian market they seem inexistent. Sad because they are really good cars.

Is one of the cars you have clicked the base entry level model? Like you said it could be a good option for the hotel fleets.

I saw both of these cars today at 5pm near the International Airport! I'm assuming the launch was held somewhere nearby ? Was quite astonished to see the Orange S60 followed by the Maroon ! They both had some presence and looked good especially from the front, the rear taillamps looked a bit weird.
Volvo needs to promote their cars more, i wonder if they have a showroom in a city like Mumbai ??

Thanks for the details. Extremely good looking car, and looks like Volvo has got the pricing spot on here. It will be interesting to see if this translates to sales.

Is the car built in Malaysia, or in Europe?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippy (Post 2273577)
More than a sedan, the S60 actually looks like a notchback. I really like the front end of the car. From what I saw in the XC60, I expect good quality in the interiors but that fake wood centre console is not to my liking. Do they have various options for the interiors? And the Volvo D5 engine is quite noisy compared to its German rivals. The petrol V6 AWD sounds delicious though.

I feel the coupe-like design is an added attraction. From what I know, the console is of real wood, and not fake wood.

And they've a couple of wood trims, and an aluminium finish for the central console. Maybe Stratos will be able to confirm this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2273608)
Thanks for the details. Extremely good looking car, and looks like Volvo has got the pricing spot on here. It will be interesting to see if this translates to sales.

Is the car built in Malaysia, or in Europe?

I feel the coupe-like design is an added attraction. From what I know, the console is of real wood, and not fake wood.

And they've a couple of wood trims, and an aluminium finish for the central console. Maybe Stratos will be able to confirm this.

Correct. I personally like the aluminium finish on the centre console. You could be right about the wood but still it doesnt look great atleast in the pictures. Maybe seeing it in the flesh could paint another picture. That single AC vent on the centre console really stands out though. On thing I like about these Volvo centre consoles is that they are angled towards the driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippy (Post 2273612)
Correct. I personally like the aluminium finish on the centre console. You could be right about the wood but still it doesnt look great atleast in the pictures. Maybe seeing it in the flesh could paint another picture. That single AC vent on the centre console really stands out though. On thing I like about these Volvo centre consoles is that they are angled towards the driver.

Totally agree. The aluminium trim looks much better than the wood trim in the opening post. There is a lighter wood trim, which looks much better. And another good feature is the storage space behind the centre console.

Attached are couple of snaps with the aluminium coloured console (courtsey: www.oneshift.com)

Quote:

Other features include Pedestrian Detection with full auto brake, Advanced Stability Control, Engine Drag Control, Cornering Torque Control, Laser Assisted Automatic Braking, Active Bending Lights, Dynamic Stability and Traction Control, All-Wheel Drive on the T6 – Petrol variant. Most of these features are unique to the S60 in its segment.

Will the D5 have the above features or it needs to be added as extras.

The pricing is fantastic and gives a great alternative to many cars at this price range.

Quote:

been tested in India while the ones which are not provided include Lane Departure Warning, Driver Alert Control and Blind Spot Detection.
Is cost cutting the reason behind excluding the above features.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 2273633)
Will the D5 have the above features or it needs to be added as extras.

Most of the above features are optional throughout the range although the D5 Summum comes with much more features than the base D5 Kinetic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 2273633)
Is cost cutting the reason behind excluding the above features.

According to Volvo, NO. They excluded some features which they thought arent appropriate on Indian roads, like the Lane Departure Warning. We can barely see the white lane division lines on our roads for that feature to work.

Quote:

Driver Alert Control and Blind Spot Detection
@Stratos

Why would they exclude these two features. I think these two features are not region or road dependent. I feel the driver alert control is a great feature to have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 2273904)
@Stratos

Why would they exclude these two features. I think these two features are not region or road dependent. I feel the driver alert control is a great feature to have.

About those two, Volvo said that they researched in India and these were some of the features which they thought are not required for the Indian market, atleast for now. Sadly, no explanation was given. I doubt cost cutting was so much on their minds, because anyway most of the available features are optional extras :D

Volvo has announced the pricing for the new Volvo S60. This becomes the 4th model that Volvo has to offer its Indian customers. The S60 will be available in both Diesel and Petrol.

The diesel doing duty in the S60 will be the same D5 engine that powers the XC90 and S80. The petrol engine is where things get really attractive. It's going to be a 3 litre turbocharged inline 6 producing a massive 44.8 kgm of torque. With power being delivered to all 4 wheels this promises to compete well with the Audi A4 3.2 quattro and the BMW 330i. Of course, being a Volvo this comes with a lot of industry firsts in the safety department.

Perhaps the most exciting thing about this car is the price. Starting at 27L ex-showroom Delhi for the diesel, it's going to be a very tempting alternative to the German sedans. The petrol version comes in at 34L ex-showroom which also puts it at par with the Germans. With the launch of the S60 Volvo has finally entered a more "affordable" price segment and I certainly hope to see a lot more Volvo's on the roads.

PS: Now that the pricing for the S60 has been announced, I can't wait for them to launch the S40 in India. The S40 might just be around the 20L mark. Exciting times indeed!!

Note from Mod: Please use the "Search" option to find existing threads on a certain topic.
Threads Merged

Quote:

Originally Posted by theragingbull (Post 2273515)
The T6 with 304bhp inline-six looks very exciting at 34 lakhs!! The 330i and 3.2fsi has some serious competition now. :)

Stonker of an engine & well, with such specs, the competition has been pretty much blown away before they could even utter a word.
The 3.2 fsi & 330i have 265hp and 258hp respectively with the torque in the 350~ NM range. Both with 97 RON or higher clock around 6.4/6.5 secs to the ton and the Volvo IMO will easily do it in the late 5s. Current generation A6 with the 3.0T (300hp /440nm) does it in 5.7 with the high octane fuel so this volvo,being much smaller than the A6,one can only imagine what it is capable of.

My friend has booked one, probably the first one in TN, PROBABLY. Told me he will send me the pictures once hes gets his hands on it. And, its white.

Hello all BHP-ian's, This is my first post on this forum. Glad to be here! :D :thumbs up

I really seem to like this car, typically volvo, the interior bits and pieces seem really well fitted/finished. The wood trim is kind of like a turn off as mentioned by Dippy. Shattering performance figures, definitely giving Audi A4 3.2 TFSi/BMW 330i a run for its money. But, i really would like to know from anyone who has seen this car, what's with the rear seat legroom? Is it as bad as it seems like in the picture? Even if its a wee-bit better than the 3-series then I would definitely consider buying this one. The numbers are simply too tempting especially at the price at which it is offered.

I myself am in an automotive dilemma right now, and this is one of the cars in the price bracket i am looking at, will post up a thread in the 'What Car?' section in some time soon. :)