Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2011, 22:53   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Report & Pics: VW Vento IPL Edition EDIT : Now IPL Edition II Launched for 2012 IPL

Hey if attaching the IPL tag is what sells the petrol Vento in this country, am all for it! It's a nice car and pity that this FE-crazy country of ours has only takers for the TDI. More power VW!
Old 10th March 2011, 23:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Report & Pics: VW Vento IPL Edition EDIT : Now IPL Edition II Launched for 2012 IPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I would be interested to know more about the audio system. Why cant they put this on other Ventos in place of the horrible unit they have currently.

Any photos on the same? Should fit well with the dash too.
I think it's the same unit from the Jetta/Passat. Really good head unit which itself costs around 25k if bought from outside.

Here's a pic (courtesy- zigwheels)
Attached Thumbnails
Report & Pics: VW Vento IPL Edition EDIT : Now IPL Edition II Launched for 2012 IPL-vwventoipl_1_560x420.jpg  

Old 10th March 2011, 23:02   #33
BHPian

Marketing at its very best. It is a perfect move by VW to sponsor IPL. They are serious about business in India while Indians are serious about cricket. This makes for a perfect recipe for boosting sales of the version which many people are not opting for. Remember ours is a country where many people make decision which are forced on them by marketers. I would not buy one of these, however i do believe that this will sell.
Old 11th March 2011, 09:41   #34
BHPian

I dont care about the IPL branding. Can they plug that ICE and seats into the highline TDI, offer me a highline+ variant and deliver in a couple of weeks?

I will pay 25K or how much ever more happily and drive away my second car in a heartbeat.
Old 11th March 2011, 12:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Though IPL branding looks weird and I personally don't like to have any stickers on my car, I would still go for this car if I had to buy one. 25K for these goodies is a good deal.
I will spend another 1-2K to get the 'IPL' stickers removed
Old 11th March 2011, 13:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vento IPL Edition Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
IPL is Indian. World Cup is one where there are 11 other nations. IPL is ours; I think IPL is a much better bet than the World Cup.
I think , this year World cup is being hosted by India and Sri Lanka. IPL is something not liked by many but world cup has a richer customer base.
TRP of a world cup match(a single match of equal competence) will be better than IPL. Marketers count on TRP. So world cup would have made better sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
PS : Now that you brought it up, it is mostly non-Indian manufacturers that exploit Indians under the name of Cricket - Opel, Fiat and now VW!
Am not understanding the relevance of this statement. If you have a brand and a product which can get advantage in an Environment for spreading awareness which results in increased sales , you can. That's the whole idea of marketing.
There is nothing Indian and non-Indian about it. But yes there is a limit to which a marketer can push a product which is harmful to the consumers.
In this case its fair. Please understand, for exploiting they have to pay up "quite" well to be a sponsor-er.

I may be wrong here.

Last edited by maxbhp : 11th March 2011 at 13:55.
Old 11th March 2011, 14:49   #37
Team-BHP Support

Re: Vento IPL Edition Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
I think , this year World cup is being hosted by India and Sri Lanka. IPL is something not liked by many but world cup has a richer customer base.
TRP of a world cup match(a single match of equal competence) will be better than IPL. Marketers count on TRP. So world cup would have made better sense.
But World Cup happens once in 4 years while IPL happens every year. I just feel IPL evokes this feeling of "being our own". I'm not sure how many Indians do not like IPL. This Vento is for the Indian market, right? So, the people who don't like IPL (eg. Australians) don't really matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Am not understanding the relevance of this statement. If you have a brand and a product which can get advantage in an Environment for spreading awareness which results in increased sales , you can. That's the whole idea of marketing.
There is nothing Indian and non-Indian about it. But yes there is a limit to which a marketer can push a product which is harmful to the consumers.
In this case its fair. Please understand, for exploiting they have to pay up "quite" well to be a sponsor-er.

I may be wrong here.
Well, there was no relevance attached to this statement; was just a mere observation in a casual way. Others had mentioned about Opel; so I just wrote about Opel, Fiat and VW.

We are discussing VW's strategies here - the actual reason could turn out completely different!
Old 11th March 2011, 17:04   #38
BHPian

If you take the car to smaller cities, people may think it is the DLF office car LOL! .. How much commission is paid by DLF to the customer since the customers are advertising DLF for free !.

Lets wait and watch how many of them hit the roads!.
Old 11th March 2011, 17:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Nice gimmic i must say! But will they be able to deliver the car once the sales start in April? Or would VW make the customers wait till the 2012 edition of the IPL to deliver the car?

Cricket makes Indians forget logic and VW have just cashed in on that note. Kudos VW nice move!
Old 11th March 2011, 18:11   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
I think it's the same unit from the Jetta/Passat. Really good head unit which itself costs around 25k if bought from outside.

If thats the Music system, its really worth it. But its sad, they dont give this option to other Highline owners nor Jetta, especially navigation.
Old 11th March 2011, 18:48   #41
Team-BHP Support

An easy way to move a non moving variant.

Take one low spec 1,6 petrol. Add embossed leatherette covering, a cricket bat and ball, a decal, plug in a fatter stereo - offer a few polo mints to IPL officials, froth it up and take your money.
Old 12th March 2011, 19:40   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post

Are you referring to the Witson unit which has been purchased by many members here on the forum?
Old 12th March 2011, 23:18   #43
Senior - BHPian

I heard the head unit will be the RNS series and not the RCD series meaning it comes with Navigation.

Can someone confirm?
Old 13th March 2011, 00:31   #44
BHPian

Hi,

The only catch here is to get some numbers in for a variant that hardly sells.
Marketing is is not as complicated as it seems. the costs for VW to manufacture these would be hardly anything. Plus they don't introduce this with any of the hot selling variants. In addition to this, they get to be prime sponsors of IPL for much lesser money. That's because they are advertising IPL with their own product.
Doing all this, their product and brand visibility gets a large boost (not needed, but if Maruti still advertises, why shouldn't VW? ).
All in all, smart move, VW.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Old 13th March 2011, 12:04   #45
Team-BHP Support

It's high time companies realized that ABS and Airbags shouldn't be an option. Excluding these essential safety features in any car is akin to jumping from the balcony and hoping to land on the 'soft' garden below. It's utter stupidity.

This is not expected of VW.

Do your limited-edition IPL thing, that's not the problem. But why exclude essential safety features like ABS and Airbags? VW should be the one setting an example to every other manufacturer that safety should not be compromised.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks