Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2011, 13:12   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: Report & Pics: VW Vento IPL Edition EDIT : Now IPL Edition II Launched for 2012 IPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It's high time companies realized that ABS and Airbags shouldn't be an option. Excluding these essential safety features in any car is akin to jumping from the balcony and hoping to land on the 'soft' garden below. It's utter stupidity.

This is not expected of VW.

Do your limited-edition IPL thing, that's not the problem. But why exclude essential safety features like ABS and Airbags? VW should be the one setting an example to every other manufacturer that safety should not be compromised.
Very well-said. Unfortunately, cost is what bring volume and VW very well that know that fact. And I don't think they are (or will be) an example to other manufacturers. Lets not forget the fact that VW is a mass market model, and I am sure that they have surely studied the market before coming out with this model.
Old 13th March 2011, 15:22   #47
Team-BHP Support

re: Report & Pics: VW Vento IPL Edition EDIT : Now IPL Edition II Launched for 2012 IPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Very well-said. Unfortunately, cost is what bring volume and VW very well that know that fact. And I don't think they are (or will be) an example to other manufacturers. Lets not forget the fact that VW is a mass market model, and I am sure that they have surely studied the market before coming out with this model.
True.

VW is looking for volumes here, and just like Maruti, cost cutting is a part of the ordeal.

It's very disheartening when some manufacturers exclude safety features. Look at Honda, they now offer ABS and Airbags as standard equipment across the range.

Well, I guess it's the consumer who has to be blamed as well. After all, the manufacturer caters to the consumer, and if they feel that these safety features can be skipped, the manufacturers oblige. What's in it for them, anyway?!
Old 13th March 2011, 16:25   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It's high time companies realized that ABS and Airbags shouldn't be an option. Excluding these essential safety features in any car is akin to jumping from the balcony and hoping to land on the 'soft' garden below. It's utter stupidity.

This is not expected of VW.

Do your limited-edition IPL thing, that's not the problem. But why exclude essential safety features like ABS and Airbags? VW should be the one setting an example to every other manufacturer that safety should not be compromised.
Totally get what you're saying but that applies equally to all manufacturers- no need to single out VW in particular. My 2006 Swift has neither and it's not even the entry level variant. People have warped priorities in this country- and I daresay if it weren't for TBHP a lot of us would blissfully go on buying low-end variants without essential safety features.

Edit: Oops you didn't actually single out VW. My bad!

Last edited by noopster : 13th March 2011 at 16:27.
Old 13th March 2011, 22:55   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I heard the head unit will be the RNS series and not the RCD series meaning it comes with Navigation.

Can someone confirm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
Are you referring to the Witson unit which has been purchased by many members here on the forum?
From the pictures and reports, it seems it's the RNS 510 which comes with SatNav. However, I am not sure if VW is proving with free maps too. You might want to ask the dealer about it.

Last edited by theragingbull : 13th March 2011 at 22:58.
Old 13th March 2011, 23:19   #50
BHPian

i doubt its the RNS or RCD 510. the interface looks very different. i think this is some chinese lookalike system that VW have plonked.

the rns unit costs some 60k and the rcd unit is about 30-35k. I doubt that they would be included in a lower variant of the vento
Old 14th March 2011, 11:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
i doubt its the RNS or RCD 510. the interface looks very different. i think this is some chinese lookalike system that VW have plonked.
That is not possible at all. No manufacturer would ever do that! It is a genuine VW OEM system.
Old 14th March 2011, 12:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the rns unit costs some 60k and the rcd unit is about 30-35k. I doubt that they would be included in a lower variant of the vento
RNS unit is close to a Lakh the last time in enquired.

If this version of Vento comes with the RNS unit, its a great add on for that car. I hope its a sat nav system making way into all cars of VW(highline or Comfortline)
Old 14th March 2011, 12:55   #53
Senior - BHPian

Clearly VW want to sell there Petrol ones. They must be facing problems with stock lying with them of petrol models. Else they should have offered the same in Diesel also. I dont think not many will buy this car just for the IPL logo. Also its showing DLF as well in the logo. Is DLF paying for some accessories given by VW ?
Old 14th March 2011, 13:24   #54
Senior - BHPian

I was surprised too. Confirmed is from the dealer just yesterday after reading that the IPL edition would come with navigation. He tells me , like Volvo, VW have tied up with MapMyIndia to provide them with maps for GPS. Basically it will come as an added feature with the touchscreen console and they are not VW's own maps. That is still some time away.
Old 14th March 2011, 20:19   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Why would you buy a car with DLF logo???

So guys,
Could you help find the answer please?

I see that VW want to be asscociated with IPL so they launch a car with "IPL" written on it.
OK, I can understand (even though I am not an IPL fan at all)!
But why "DLF"?
Just because DLF is the official sponsor of IPL???

What if IPL was sponsored by MTR or Lux or VIP or someone? Why should anyone be happily carrying these names on his/her car?
Or say Le Meridian or Radisson - the owner would look like a staff driver ferrying the hotel customers to/from the airport...lol.

No offence to any of these companies - I have no regard or disregard for them, but I find this incredibly weird.

Unless of course, the car is (part)financed by the DLF or the guy works for DLF or something, in which case may be it makes sense for him...

Thanks!

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th March 2011 at 22:05. Reason: Threads Merged. We do not need a separate thread for this one. Thanks
Old 14th March 2011, 20:35   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why would you buy a car with DLF logo???

Good point. Any sensible person would remove the dlf or ipl logo from the car! I don't even allow the dealership stickers on my cars.

With 6 months waiting period and people worshipping VW and queing up in their showrooms, VW has no reason to see reason in these gimmicks.
Old 14th March 2011, 20:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I am curious to find the reason ever since I saw this:
I see that VW want to be asscociated with IPL so they launch a car with "IPL" written on it. OK, I can understand (even though I am not an IPL fan at all)!
But why "DLF"?
Thanks!
+1.
As soon as I saw the car, this is what immediately struck me. Having IPL stamped on the car is ok, because its going to last for a long time (if there is good money involved). But why DLF? Supposing in 4 to 5 years time, if DLF decides to withdraw its sponsorship, what will the owners do? Will they go to Volkswagen A.S.S and change the sticker and scuff plates with the name of the then sponsor? Truly weird move by VW this.
Old 14th March 2011, 20:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

VW is giving it as a special edition,its not stamping each and every Vento with a DLF sticker are they?If you want the special edition you take it,if you dont want leave it,simple as that.

Its VWs prerogative of what they want to offer or not.For all we know it might have stuck a deal with DLF to increase their visibility as advertising,so be it.

Personally like everyone else i hate those DLF stickers though,but it not a really wierd move just simple economics.
Old 14th March 2011, 20:52   #59
BHPian

I don't tink VW or IPL had any choice. The way these contracts are negotiated I am pretty sure that there is a built in clause stating that as long as DLF is the title sponsor for IPL, its name has to appear wherever the IPL logo appears. Thats why DLF is paying millions to IPL.

What's the big deal anyway. If you can get rid of manufacturer's logo then this shouldn't be difficult.
Old 14th March 2011, 20:56   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks @kiku007, @arvi86, @avishar, Cesc.

Good to know your reactions.

I also clearly instructed Europa Auto (a Skoda dealer in Pune) not to stick their name (that too in an ugly font and red color!!!) anywhere on my brand new car.

Special edition or not, DLF? No way...
We love our cars, don't we?

In fact, if VW has to pay royalty or something to DLF for every IPL Vento they sell, it's even sad...what a waste of customer's money - IMO.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 14th March 2011 at 20:59.

Most Viewed