Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2019, 10:05   #136
BHPian

Re: Traffic Violations - Heavy Penalties

The breathtaking arrogance we see on Indian roads, the unruly drivers, driving recklessly, jumping signals, no respect for other road users, mocking traffic laws while endangering lives, people full of apathy with no consideration deserve heavy penalties to bring their uppitiness down.

So many lives are lost on the roads because we don't want to follow simple, yet important traffic rules. God knows why everyone is always ready to jump signals or drive wrong way, saving a few seconds/minutes while risking their as well as others' lives!! Oh, and the level of big-headedness they show when questioned - not recommended. Some of them even want to kill you on the spot. People in this country, unfortunately, only understand things when they are hit where it hurt them the most - their wallets.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 4th September 2019 at 10:21.
Col Mehta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 16:52   #137
BHPian

Re: Traffic Violations - Heavy Penalties

I would go further and scale fines based on wealth and standing. At the same time I would impose stiff penalties, even death, on police and government officials for any accidents caused by their negligence.
Old 4th September 2019, 18:31   #138
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Motor Vehicles Act: Stricter penalties- Now Cabinet-Approved!

Sorry to say, like the many things this government has done, I am against all of this high fine drama too for the main reason I have shared below.

The cops who impose these fines remain the same corrupt ones, they were stopping you before for meeting their targets, harassing out of state cars, trying to thug money out of you for no reason etc etc and nothing will change now too, the amounts will be higher bus. Corruption is deep rooted in the traffic police department and the government has just introduced ways for them to get richer.
humyum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 18:47   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Sorry to say, like the many things this government has done, I am against all of this high fine drama too for the main reason I have shared below.

The cops who impose these fines remain the same corrupt ones, they were stopping you before for meeting their targets, harassing out of state cars, trying to thug money out of you for no reason etc etc and nothing will change now too, the amounts will be higher bus. Corruption is deep rooted in the traffic police department and the government has just introduced ways for them to get richer.
I just hope people who until now said, "Give me the receipt, I will pay actual fine" will not start paying bribe. The penalties are very high and I think the implementation is what matters.

We demanded higher fines but when its done we find holes Really sad to see nothing works in our country given the corrupt system we have developed over decades.
Old 4th September 2019, 19:50   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I just hope people who until now said, "Give me the receipt, I will pay actual fine" will not start paying bribe. The penalties are very high and I think the implementation is what matters.

We demanded higher fines but when its done we find holes Really sad to see nothing works in our country given the corrupt system we have developed over decades.
Everything about the eco-system we have around is programmed naturally for corruption. When cops come home to verify passport to traffic police to whenever you want some government official to get some work done, even Aadhar guys asked for money when you wanted to get your date for submitting details for Aadhar.

I am glad some states are challenging this act namely, Rajasthan and MP and I hope they continue to resist.
Old 4th September 2019, 21:14   #141
AWD
BHPian

In our Corrupt to the core system where existing laws were never properly implemented, results of which are rampant on the roads. A law carries a whole lot of deterrence factor, when both the law enforcing agencies & people at large don't follow laws, the deterrence fades away. To re-enforce the deterrence value, stricter measures are required.

It really scares me taking my bike out sometimes for a ride because any next vehicle could potentially be having a drunk driver at the helm, or an underage in-experienced driver. Not just that, the place where I live & at many other places in the country, wearing proper riding gear makes you feel as if you are an alien.

I don't see a reason why people should not carry or all the required documents with them in the vehicle, wear a helmet, not drink & drive, park im-properly, jump traffic lights, drive recklessly, etc. We have bought vehicles by the hoards but haven't learnt to use/drive properly. Stricter penalties are sure to make a considerable lot to follow rules. Im all for it, given that the law enforcers also get the same treatment as the rest of public & don't use it as a means to further corruption.

A big shake up is sometimes required to change perceptions & this sure shakes up considerably.

Last edited by AWD : 4th September 2019 at 21:17.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 22:35   #142
BHPian

Any idea about the amount of fine for sun-film under the amendment act?
ramansh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 16:31   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I am glad some states are challenging this act namely, Rajasthan and MP and I hope they continue to resist.
Telangana govt has also postponed the introduction of this bill - https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...penalties.html

While I am in support of increased penalties for traffic violations, I fear that it will directly lead to increased bribes as most of you guys are pointing out.

Telangana traffic police has been doing a good job of handling drink and drive cases for the last year or so. Each police officer who is assigned to drink and drive check-post has a camera which streams the entire interaction back to the control room. This way they have been able to eradicate cases of people trying to bribe their way out. I'm not sure if police would be able to employ such methods for monitoring other traffic violations (costs can be extremely prohibitive)
akunchala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 08:32   #144
BHPian

A very good example where a cop has been fined heavily (double the penalty) for not wearing helmet while riding. We need more of these.

Link -
https://m.hindustantimes.com/india-n...5H5zN_amp.html

Another good example where DGP Haryana has issued a notice to the cops to stop random checks for papers unless someone breaks any rule. This anyways should be that way as per court of law, but cops barely honor that. A good step nevertheless.

https://www.news18.com/amp/news/auto...g-2299369.html

But only 343 challans issued for violations amount to a whopping collection of Rs 52.32 lakh !! And one guy with a challan of 23K surrendered his Activa while mentioning that the scooter is cheaper than than the fine

Last edited by JBIBS : 7th September 2019 at 08:43. Reason: More information
JBIBS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 09:45   #145
BHPian

Just came back from a long line of PUC check from petrol pump in Dwarka, Delhi. Apparently, pollution guy will come after two hours. Lines have streched to hours on weekdays. Even on a weekend, waiting time is stretched to two hours. As we all know, PUC is nothing but a sham to avoid challans. My sparingly used hardly 8000 km run Activa bs3 failed pollution check once, then went to service centre to check why is it polluting? As expected, even SCs do not have a clue how to sort this. Then, PUC guy asked 25 rupees more to 'adjust' the readings. In my opinion, we are purchasing pollution check certificates(Say X rs bribe to avoid XXXX RS. Fine)

There should be proper infra in place before implementing such hefty fines. I would love to see how many government babu's vehicles are fined for failing pollution checks.

P.s. I am a law abiding citizen and want to follow course of law but feel sad for such poor execution of laws.

Last edited by abhipuri : 7th September 2019 at 09:48. Reason: Added content
abhipuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 11:21   #146
Senior - BHPian

Hope there will be a law where Citizens can fine the government back for lack of maintenance and other issues related to traffic! Imagine how much of our tax many we could get back

Signal Jumping fine = 1000INR(not an actual figure) if signal is not working, Gov needs to pay 1000INR to every single motorist passing by.

Lane jumping = we pay fine, there is no lane marking = Gov pays us fine.

Rash driving = we pay fine, if roads are bad enough to make us drive in a random way = Gov pays us.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 7th September 2019 at 11:23.
giri1.8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 12:27   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIBS View Post
A very good example where a cop has been fined heavily (double the penalty) for not wearing helmet while riding. We need more of these.
Here, another one from my city:
https://www.tribuneindia.com/article...digarh/828816/
Old 7th September 2019, 12:37   #148
BHPian

What is the latest stand on seat-belts (earlier, they were only enforcing seat belts to the driver & not mandatory for others)?

Are all (including rear seat passengers) expected to wear seat belts now?
Old 7th September 2019, 13:02   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
What is the latest stand on seat-belts (earlier, they were only enforcing seat belts to the driver & not mandatory for others)?

Are all (including rear seat passengers) expected to wear seat belts now?
Not sure about the rule, but I've started using this as an excuse to get my parents to buckle up at the rear. They neither have the time nor the inclination to dig into the law to find out the truth, so I'm using it to my advantage
boniver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 13:20   #150
BHPian

The fines or the fear of fines is definitely working here in Mumbai. I saw auto's and the notorious delivery bikes waiting patiently behind the stop line allowing pedestrians to peacefully use the zebra crossing at traffic lights.

Yes fines are expensive and will pinch but if that's what it takes I am all for it.

The fear of implementing authorities misusing it is there but we will have to start some where.

Next thing needed is a good friendly system to contest the fines for cases where there is a doubt.
tazmaan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed