Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:38   #61
BANNED

Re: New Motor Vehicles Act: Stricter penalties- Now Cabinet-Approved!

I have no objections. Only hope the policeman is educated about the law, and is not too keen to 'challan' just to meet his weekly quota.

They should also do away with the ancient and archaic rule about radios in cars.
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Jaywalking attracts a fine of Rs 100, hope that is increased as well.
I know, I am aware of this. But have we ever seen any jaywalker fined? An acquaintance was involved in a road accident in Dubai. But it was considered as his fault as he stepped on the road against the "Do Not Walk" sign. There was absolutely no action taken against the driver at all.

Will this happen in India?
sandeep108 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:47   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
I know, I am aware of this. But have we ever seen any jaywalker fined?
Quite common in Mumbai (on junctions where subways are available).

35 jaywalkers end up in fine trouble outside CST - Times Of India
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:54   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quite common in Mumbai (on junctions where subways are available).

35 jaywalkers end up in fine trouble outside CST - Times Of India
Yes, they carried out that drive once. My point is that if fair implementation is done for everybody, instead of singling out only the motorist, there would be fewer accidents and far lesser loss of lives.
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:56   #65
Senior - BHPian

I dont understand why the use of blue tooth or headset is prohibited. I dont think using these need be curbed.
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:03   #66
BHPian

Does including all devices that can receive or transmit voice into the fined category mean you cannot have a radio in the car, or operate one when only the driver is present in the car?
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:04   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I dont understand why the use of blue tooth or headset is prohibited. I dont think using these need be curbed.
All forms of mobiles including hands free which I guess includes BlueTooth etc. are verboten. Of course the neta and babu are chauffeured so have no problems. Presumably they will never retire, so will not join the hoi polloi.

Not surprising since radios in car are still illegal and their are reports of prosecution esp in Mumbai from time to time. In WB you have to pay additional road tax for AC and Radio.

Indeed Mera Bharat Mahaan!
Old 2nd March 2012, 17:28   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have no objections. Only hope the policeman is educated about the law, and is not too keen to 'challan' just to meet his weekly quota.

They should also do away with the ancient and archaic rule about radios in cars.
While that is a definite concern, i am also worried about the motorists who will end up paying more as bribe since they will be blackmailed with the increasing fine cost now as well. Increasing fines is one thing, more importantly how do we ensure that it is corruption free is another thing.

Personally I think it’s better we give a target as minimum for policemen and give a percentage as legitimate commision if they catch more offenders (we know they make money anyway, let us at least ensure govt gets a share). While it would mean more fines initially, hopefully it will lead to disciplined driving and lesser accidents in the longer run. It is believed that if people start following road rules & discipline, it would eventually lead to lesser crime rates as a whole.
Old 2nd March 2012, 18:14   #69
Joy
BHPian

Guys, can anybody teach me how to drive at 10 kph?

I have seen some road signs (can't remember where) mentioning this speed limit. If this kind of speed limit still exists, any law enforcers will have a field day any day.

In my view, the law should first look at the practicality and upgrade accordingly and then implement stricter fines. I mean what is use of creating a 4/6 lane expressway and imposing a speed limit of 60/80 kph, it defeats the whole purpose.
Joy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 20:07   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Guys, can anybody teach me how to drive at 10 kph?

I have seen some road signs (can't remember where) mentioning this speed limit. If this kind of speed limit still exists, any law enforcers will have a field day any day.
These speed limits actually makes sense when pedestrians and cars have to share lanes. For example inner city roads that do not have footpaths and dividers.

In other city roads, speed limits is 40 kmph which is comparable to global limits. E.g. in US, 30 mph (48 kmph) is the limit in cities like Chicago / NYC. And in areas near schools this limit drops to 20 mph.

Roads that have:

1. Access control
2. Options for pedestrians

Govt should defiantly increase limits.
Old 2nd March 2012, 21:07   #71
Team-BHP Support

This link from NDTV gives a better insight on what to expect. This is still in the nascent stages and will take some time to be implemented.

I am still wondering on how they would manage to categorize an offence as a "repeat"? I agree that many have smart card licenses that can store information but I haven't come across any traffic policemen that carry readers for smart card information.
Old 2nd March 2012, 21:48   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I am still wondering on how they would manage to categorize an offence as a "repeat"?
In Maharashtra (might be the case for other states too), fines can not be collected on the spot.

Driver has to go to traffic police post to pay the fine. And at that point of time it is easy to check if same license or vehicle was fined for same offense in past. In this scenario it is easy to detect repeat offenders.
Old 2nd March 2012, 22:33   #73
Senior - BHPian

It is indeed welcome move. I say make the penalties super-hefty, something like Rs.1 lakh for even minor offence. Agreed, cops may have a field day. But to circumvent a Rs.1 lakh fine, you will still have to pay at least Rs.25,000 bribe. Trust me, you will pay it only once and for the rest of your life you will fall in line. Next time you go out, you will make sure to leave your madness at home. There will be no more madness on our chaotic roads. Enough is enough. It is sickening to go out for a drive these dyas. It is complete free-for-all on our roads. Total jungle rule.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 23:01   #74
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
These speed limits actually makes sense when pedestrians and cars have to share lanes. For example inner city roads that do not have footpaths and dividers.
But I am not talking about inner city roads but two lane roads out of city proper limits and not much crowded. I can't exactly recall where but I have seen it.
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:57   #75
BHPian

Its a welcome change if its put in place uniformly and it stays the same.
Hope it reduces the chaos on roads and not make the cops pocket deeper.
There should be a system to check the system.
Cops have to be answerable to the law too and the people should also be given a way to deal with the crooked cops so that they do their job.
I have been a victim many a times when I question the cops on rules they answer back saying I have no reason to answer you and he starts using all the loopholes in the system to book your vehicle in.
Finally its again targeted only on the middle class.
The rich fly past such rules, the poor contribute chaos but are not affected and people in the middle get harassed.
No roads, no system, no uniform rule whats the point of adding higher fines.
Got to live through it to see what comes out of it.
Hope to see to believe the change.
Anything for a better motor-able road

Most Viewed