Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2011, 20:07   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Has this steering problem anywhere appeared on the verna? The old and the ANHV?
Old 28th June 2011, 20:17   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Here's an e-mail I received today from a gentleman whose 2011 i20 CRDi has this steering rattle issue. IMO, it proves beyond doubt that that the 2011 i20s too have the steering rattle issue. Attached is the copy of TSB that was attached in the e-mail, which is photographic proof of what wildon had posted earlier.

Have a look at the second page, which is partly visible. There is a clause on warranty on the second page, which seems suspicious.

I don't have any words regarding this!!! I mean how can any company blatantly deny something so obvious.This is insane! But the irony is inspite of all this the i20 is the leader in B+ segment.With so much R&D ,if hyundai is not able to solve this then shame on them.They dont deserve to be called a car manufacturer.Its like an engineering student unable to solve 2+2=4. The market leader badge has got into their head.As long as the sales of the i20 continue to go strong hyundai wont bother to solve this issue.90% of the customers arent aware of this problem.The remaining 10% are cooly ignored by the hyundai.

Just yesterday got my steering column retorqued.Now the sound has vanished.Lets see how long it stays mum.
Old 28th June 2011, 20:59   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I don't have any words regarding this!!! I mean how can any company blatantly deny something so obvious.This is insane! But the irony is inspite of all this the i20 is the leader in B+ segment.With so much R&D ,if hyundai is not able to solve this then shame on them.They dont deserve to be called a car manufacturer.Its like an engineering student unable to solve 2+2=4. The market leader badge has got into their head.As long as the sales of the i20 continue to go strong hyundai wont bother to solve this issue.90% of the customers arent aware of this problem.The remaining 10% are cooly ignored by the hyundai.

Just yesterday got my steering column retorqued.Now the sound has vanished.Lets see how long it stays mum.
Success surely seems to have gone into their heads. Paying 8.5L for a hatch and then having to go through this rattling is ridiculous. I have decided to stay away from Hyundai till they acknowledge the problem and come up with a permanent solution.
Old 28th June 2011, 21:29   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Could you please explain this? What is exactly that re torquing does?
Old 29th June 2011, 01:37   #140
BHPian

Thanks skanchan for providing us a really really solid proof against Hyundai for i20 steering rattle & this is enough to shame that Hyundai SE, who's trying to prove his customers wrong with his arrogance. Infact most of the Hyundai dealers show very careless attitude towards their customers, might be due their Exponentially rising sales. The need to learn from MSIL dealers, who despite of being a Sales king, are having their minds at right place.
Anways, thanks again skanchan for providing me a Steering graph of i20, i'll definitely show this to one of my uncle who runs a Private car garage to its further knowledge, details & ways to rectify it.
Old 29th June 2011, 09:12   #141
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Have a look at the second page, which is partly visible. There is a clause on warranty on the second page, which seems suspicious.
Attaching a more clear picture
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)-i20-tsb1-large.jpg  

Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)-i20-tsb-large-.jpg  

wildon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 09:35   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

This is simply horrendous from Hyundai. Is Hyundai really going by this line "Ignorance is Bliss".

Now eagerly watching for the Verna threads for this complaint.

Really appreciate skanchan95 and Wildon for providing this valuable information.
Old 29th June 2011, 13:35   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
In the second picture, I see that the correction needs to be performed on all the affected vehicles without customer complaint (indicated by a star mark).

Does this not amount to a recall for the vehicles manufactured in that period? Has Hyundai managed to keep this away from the media till now?

Last edited by selfdrive : 29th June 2011 at 13:37.
Old 29th June 2011, 14:18   #144
BHPian

But does it mean that when I may have given my car for a free service they may have done this (or should have done this) without me telling them? I know for sure that they've not done it as it's not in any of the invoices that I've received.
Old 29th June 2011, 14:25   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
But does it mean that when I may have given my car for a free service they may have done this (or should have done this) without me telling them? I know for sure that they've not done it as it's not in any of the invoices that I've received.
IMHO, if they really want to brush this under the carpet and because they are doing this without customer complaint; it is quite possible that they could have done this without printing it on the invoice.
How can you find out? Not really sure, perhaps you can speak to a SA or mechanic you know who has since moved from Hyundai
Old 29th June 2011, 14:30   #146
BHPian

But if it's not on the invoice - the dealership don't get paid for the parts right?
Old 29th June 2011, 15:14   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But if it's not on the invoice - the dealership don't get paid for the parts right?
Continuing in my suspicious mode, it could be possible that these parts are provided by Hyundai to the dealer to avoid the 'recall' word being picked up and reported in the media.

Of course, this is subjective and there could be a different answer/ opinion from someone not as suspicious of Hyundai as I am!
Old 29th June 2011, 17:54   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Could you please explain this? What is exactly that re torquing does?
According to the SA,once the yoke spring and urethane pad have been changed,any further rattling sound must be solved by tightening the steering column.This involves tightening the bolts which hold the yoke spring and bush.I dunno how exactly they do it but now the sound has gone.
Old 29th June 2011, 18:25   #149
Senior - BHPian

The circular is dated 13-sep-2010. My car went for a service just after that (I know very well that they did not change anything because I was there for the entire time) and again on March 2011 - only this time my dad dropped it and picked it up. If the service is not mentioned in the invoice - how can I challenge the A.S.S of not doing the necessary changes? they can claim that the spring and pad have been changed. If I do not say anything - they keep mum. What to do?

@ sagarpadaki - thanks for the explanation

Quote:
According to the SA,once the yoke spring and urethane pad have been changed,any further rattling sound must be solved by tightening the steering column.This involves tightening the bolts which hold the yoke spring and bush.I dunno how exactly they do it but now the sound has gone.
Old 29th June 2011, 18:27   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Has this steering problem anywhere appeared on the verna? The old and the ANHV?
The Old Verna had Hydraulic Steering. It did not have any complaints, nor did the Accent.

Quote:
The market leader badge has got into their head.
It certainly has. When a top ranking chap from the Hyundai RO tells you that "next time steering rattle crops, we will drive down to your home with all the tools and fix it there", it only speak of their arrogance and foolishness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Its clear now, Thanks. I still wonder what happens after the warranty on our cars expires. Will steering rattle be still "fixed" Free of Charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Has Hyundai managed to keep this away from the media till now?
I think the print media, specially the auto magazines are aware of the issue with i20s. Why or what does not make them take it up seriously with Hyundai, you decide. Also, it is also possible that they were probably by the company that only a "few" cars have this issue.

Quote:
They are supposed to mention any work done on the car and any part replacement on the bill. But you never know, they just may have dropped the entire idea of mentioning warranty replacements on the bill, fearing that someone could drag them to court for doing so(replacing the parts without your consent) and/or if the rattle starts again.

Quote:
any further rattling sound must be solved by tightening the steering column.
And as the car is driven for a few kms, the rattle starts again.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 29th June 2011 at 18:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks