Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2014, 18:57   #256
BHPian

re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Guys, need your advice here.
My March 2010 i10 AT was given for service today. The SA on delivery mentioned that there is steering noise and that the steering rack needs to be replaced at the earliest as there are chances of steering getting locked. The quote was Rs. 7000 + taxes.

I went with the SA for a test drive and the noise he mentioned seemed to be there for long. I think it never occurred to me that it was steering noise.

Anyways, after coming home, zeroed on this thread. I checked the VIN as mentioned in the first page and it falls under Case A.

How should I proceed with the issue now? Should I get in touch with SA to see if they will do the replacement based on the campaign issued earlier in Sept'10 or should I write to Hyundai about the problem and campaign?
Old 6th May 2014, 19:28   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post

Anyways, after coming home, zeroed on this thread. I checked the VIN as mentioned in the first page and it falls under Case A.

How should I proceed with the issue now? Should I get in touch with SA to see if they will do the replacement based on the campaign issued earlier in Sept'10 or should I write to Hyundai about the problem and campaign?
I think get in touch with the SA as well as call up Hyundai helpline - quoting the specific TSB , and the fact that the Hyundai A.S.S. did not correct the issue without customer complaint as the TSB mentioned.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 20:14   #258
BHPian

joybhowmik, thanks for the advice. I wanted to reply to you after making some progress in resolving the issue.

Though I dropped mail to Hyundai and also called their helpline, not much help got through. Only received a standard mail with contact number of regional service manager. Tried calling regional service manager, but no one picked phone.

However, dealer Kothari Hyundai, kharadi, Pune as part of service follow-up called after 2 days. I mentioned to them about the problem and the TSB.

The dealer went through the TSB and said that they will replace the Yoke Plug. The Yoke plug was replaced and I was charged for the part only (no labor charge). In the process of replacing Yoke plug a bolt got broken and they had to replace the same too. Overall the expense came around Rs.700. I was fine with this considering initial quote was of Rs. 7000 for replacing whole steering rack.

The SA mentioned that steering would harden a bit. I noticed the sound has virtually gone but yes, steering has become hard. Let's see how long the solution of replacing Yoke Plug holds good.

However, kudos to team-bhp and to forum members. Without this thread, I could not have imagined talking to dealer about TSB and getting only Yoke plug replaced. Also, thanks to dealer for co-operating in resolving the issue.
Simhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 13:35   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys, are we having this steering rattle issue in the Grand i10? Tried searching a few ownership threads for any such comments from owners, but couldn't find. Any pointers?

Hi: I have a Grand i10 Diesel, April '14 model; crossed around 8500 kms so far. I could hear rattling noise from the front right side of the car, some where from the steering column area [tak-tak sound]. The sound is there only when I go through a rough patch. Sure that its not from the suspension.

Will take it for the second service in couple of weeks. Will keep this thread updated on the outcome.
Indicruz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 22:56   #260
Team-BHP Support

My Feb 2011 bought i10 auto has the steering rattle problem since few months. Tomorrow I am giving it for service. Does the TSB apply to 2011 i10 cars?
Old 17th November 2014, 10:23   #261
Team-BHP Support

Just got a call back from Trident Hyundai at Kalyan Nagar. As suspected, the yoke plug needs to be replaced, at a cost of ₹1200. I asked why the TSB doesn't apply, I was told the TSB was for the old part number. My 2011 i10 already has the updated part.

Right now the odometer is at around 16000kms, my wife only uses it to drop/pickup my son every day. We have been noticing the problem since it hit 14000kms. Since I knew the problem, I just held on till the next service.

When I asked why the new yoke plug failed so early, he said it depends on wear and tear. The new updated yoke plug can't handle even 14000kms of wear and tear?

So what did Hyundai really update, just the part number of yoke plug?

PS: To Trident Hyundai's credit, they did waive off the cost of yoke plug on their own since I am a regular custom and car has very less mileage.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th November 2014 at 10:37.
Old 17th November 2014, 10:36   #262
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Seeking advice. 2010 i10 AT, in the range mentioned. Should I ask for a part replacement even though no issues so far? At 20058 kms now.
Old 10th December 2014, 13:59   #263
BHPian

Hi:

Ref. my above post, missed to update you guys. Sorry.

The issue with my Grand i10 was nothing to do with the steering rattling issue. It appears that the OBD port or a socket near it was not secured properly and it was rattling. The issue was fixed during last service and no noise after that.
Indicruz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 14:39   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My Feb 2011 bought i10 auto has the steering rattle problem since few months. Tomorrow I am giving it for service. Does the TSB apply to 2011 i10 cars?
Have your tried increasing the tyre pressure? For some, keeping the tyre pressure at "recommended Tyre Pressure + 2 psi" helped in reducing/eliminating the steering rattle.
Old 13th July 2015, 14:16   #265
BHPian

Sorry about bumping up such an old topic, but has anyone faced the steering rattling issue in the i-gen i20? My 2012 1.2 car seems to be getting 'the rattles'. The car has just run 18k kms so far, and has been baby-ed most of these years, on account of other diesel cars in the house taking the maximum brunt of all our runs. This one has been used mostly by my wife for the short (~3kms) commute to her office.

Have noticed these rattles coming off & on over the last 2-3 months, and they have now grown to a persistent one. Comes even when the car is stationary, and the steering is turned (engine on). Anybody else who has faced this issue yet? Will the earlier service circular for the yolk replacement apply for this?

Took it to HASC this weekend, and the car failed to replicate the noise there, no matter what I did.

My guess is that I waded through quite a lot of water (all thanks to the abundant rains and the basic lack of apathy from the administration), to reach the service station. The SA guessed that the noise would have been from some rubber parts gone brittle, and the water might have made it wet, and hence the absence of noise.

On the noise itself, I can hear it only upto speeds of 20-30km/hr, and when the steering is being turned. Doesn't rattle anytime else.
Old 13th July 2015, 17:54   #266
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Sorry about bumping up such an old topic, but has anyone faced the steering rattling issue in the i-gen i20?
I haven't faced any steering rattle issue on our 2013 manufactured i-gen i20 1.2 so far.

If I recollect correctly, skanchan95 had some part on his pre-facelift i20's steering replaced with the corresponding part of the i-gen i20, and the issue which was bothering him for long completely vanished for good.

Quote:
Comes even when the car is stationary, and the steering is turned (engine on). Anybody else who has faced this issue yet?

On the noise itself, I can hear it only upto speeds of 20-30km/hr, and when the steering is being turned. Doesn't rattle anytime else.
This sounds different. The rattling mentioned on this thread is the one that occurred when traversing broken roads, even if the steering was held straight.

This sounds like it's specific to your car and caused by something else. Could you describe the sound and its intensity? It looks like the sound is arising due to friction somewhere. I guess the SA could be correct.

Last edited by RSR : 13th July 2015 at 17:59.
Old 13th July 2015, 20:39   #267
BHPian

Hello All,

I hope this post helps few others . My car (i10 AUTO Sportz) is DEC 2009 manufactured that i had purchased in JAN 2010. This is not the car that i get to drive primarily as its driven by others in family . I noticed this rattling a few months back .

Verified the VIN against the TSB letter in first post and found that it was affected . Note that my car is well out of warranty as well as extended warranty . However this part replacement was not done in my vehicle by the dealer.

I had to write to Hyundai and bug them repeatedly and involve each garage that was servicing my car ( Earlier shreenath when the TSB was issued and later on EXCEL who services the car now ) and send quite a number of emails back and forth to get them to accept doing this for me.

Shreenath guys were not even accepting that something like this was there till i showed them a copy of the TSB issued to their dealers.

Anyway the work has been done in my car and i have neither paid part nor labout cost for the same . I would say that the rattle is negligible if at all right now . My FNG guy says looking at the diagram that what this is doing is damping the noise .

Oddly they do not have have the sub parts any more and to most unsuspecting people they advise replacing the steering assembly at cost of about 6.5-7K.

All i will say is bug the company and the dealer enough . Sending a few emails does not hurt . Do not worry if the car is not in warranty if you are sure that your vehicle is within the affected VIN numbers . They have to do it for you .

In your email communication send a copy of the TSB letter as well as a link to this thread . That is enough for them to take you seriously .

Another note - It takes them a bit of time to do this . My car was with them for 2-3 days if i am not mistaken . They will advise you to do a lot of things while car is inside saying that its almost broken and needs replacement and will almost ask for your approval to change them ( including ball joints , other suspentiion part and what not) . They will also say that we are still hearing the rattle .

Just insist that they do this work and nothing else at this time .

During this experience it was the first time when the service centre guys said they were hearing something else even after replacing part though i couldn' t hear a thing . All this tactic is to increase the biilling since you have already come in and they had to do some work on your car for which you are not going to pay.

Good luck.
manishkapadia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 15:27   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I haven't faced any steering rattle issue on our 2013 manufactured i-gen i20 1.2 so far.

If I recollect correctly, skanchan95 had some part on his pre-facelift i20's steering replaced with the corresponding part of the i-gen i20, and the issue which was bothering him for long completely vanished for good.

This sounds different. The rattling mentioned on this thread is the one that occurred when traversing broken roads, even if the steering was held straight.

This sounds like it's specific to your car and caused by something else. Could you describe the sound and its intensity? It looks like the sound is arising due to friction somewhere. I guess the SA could be correct.
Yes, the sound is more like some parts rubbing together. Might not be a rattle. Anyways, the sound hasn't come back since then. Waiting for it to rear its ugly head again, so that I can eat the SA's head!
Old 24th February 2016, 14:55   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend has a i10 and he gets a 'tak' sound(little loud) while turning the steering to the extreme left, what sound could this be? He is getting this since last two weeks.

Its a 2007 model. Also, any good Non-HASS service station to service i10?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks