Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 00:24   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Hey Wildon this is a good news right? Some respite for the struggling customers! Great info and god bless you for sharing this with us.
Old 5th April 2011, 07:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

Got the fix installed in a 1 hour visit, and 2 weeks down the line, the rattle seems to have gone for good. Hopefully, it will stay gone!
Old 8th April 2011, 16:33   #48
BHPian

Yes, indeed this sounds promising, a much required respite for troubled I20 owners. I too will follow suit in my next service. My trip to rohtang did show some signs of steering-rattle on very rough roads, otherwise I have been lucky until now. Maybe because, she has done only 5000+ in 1.5 years.
Old 8th April 2011, 16:35   #49
BHPian

I also got this sorted out in my i10, almost 6 moths back. No noise at-all since then.
Old 20th April 2011, 22:20   #50

Hey guys. Today I got delivery of my new i20 CRDI Sportz. I was more than happy with the initial impressions of the car (I drove around 150km today).

Even though I have read all the posts there are regarding this steering rattle, I went for this car mainly because of 2 reasons :

1. I was hoping against all hopes that somehow hyundai has corrected this rattle in their latest models (which comes with integrated bluetooth for connecting cellphones) because I love this car so much.
2. Even if they haven't rectified the error, I won't be facing the issue as the route which I drive on regularly don't have any potholes (yeah it is possible in india too).

I would like my fellow bhpians to look into the issue and see if hyundai has rectified the issue in their latest version of i20.
Old 21st April 2011, 12:59   #51

@ Wildon this is promising for i20 owners.

I had gone to HASS on Outer Ring Road to get this checked as I was leaving my car for service, they said its taken care. But it looks like the noise still persists and when i drive through some rough patched its audible.

As far as AC is concerned they just topped up the gas, it looks like some HASS people still don't know or denying it completely.
Old 31st May 2011, 00:49   #52
BHPian

Is the steering rattle trouble of i20 is so much worse & frequent for which the car needs to left out of consideraion while buying as i'm planning to buy a Premium diesel hatchback & i20 CRDi Sportz is on the top of my consideration list.
In both real world & across the forum, Got somewhat mixed type of replies on this query yet.
Old 31st May 2011, 07:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Is the steering rattle trouble of i20 is so much worse & frequent for which the car needs to left out of consideration while buying as i'm planning to buy a Premium diesel hatchback & i20 CRDi Sportz is on the top of my consideration list.
I had posted a video of the steering rattle issue in my i20. Link on this post : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2323548). Even export i20s have this issue.

Believe me, the rattle sound was much more louder than actually recorded in the video clip. A supposed premium hatchback is not supposed to have such horrible rattle noises. Hell, even cars which cost half or even one third the price of an i20 do not have such steering rattle issues. I have been told that this steering rattler simply cannot be fixed. The steering rattle sound just sounds so cheap. It is a design issue and no matter how hard they try to fix it, the rattle will return at some point oif time.

My suggestion, if you can live with the sound, go for the i20 or else stay well clear from the i20. There are much better and cheaper hatchbacks in the country.
Old 31st May 2011, 09:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

I too have noticed this thump sound especially while changing from 3nd to 3rd gear in my Aug2010 i10; will inquire at the workshop soon with all this evidence; it has not given me any practical problems though...
Old 31st May 2011, 09:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

This morning I was about to add the link to skanchan's thread where he has put up the video of the steering rattle. I could not do that as I was a bit lazy to search for it from my mobile. However, the link is now put up by the man himself and he has already confirmed that the noise is worse than in the video.

For me, it is more than the noise. It is the overall feel itself; the lack of safety. I tried this on my friends car; the noise was probably 25% of the noise in this video, but it felt so insecure that we advised him to sell it off after fixing it. He did lose some money on the deal (the used car market is more than aware of any issue that can reduce the price of a car), but he is happier without the car than in it.

No offence meant but in our terms an i20 is the new benchmark for a 'khataara' in Indian market. No idea why it sells at such huge numbers. IMHO, it is one of the least quality cars in the market. What use is GPS, curtain airbags and all other bells and whistles when the basic steering is not reliable?

Once agian I cannot be more thankful to skanchan for providing all details for the i20 when I was about to put down a cheque for the Asta crdi. I am happy with my subsequent purchases while as an i20 owner I am sure this would have always been at the back of my mind.

Last edited by selfdrive : 31st May 2011 at 10:07.
Old 31st May 2011, 10:09   #56
BHPian

Can't comment on the I20, but my I10 (VTVT Magna) has NO steering noise whatsoever and I have almost clocked 5,000 kms till date. May be, Hyundai has addressed the steering noise problem in its face-lift model post October 2010.

In fact, there has been no rattling sound anywhere in the car so far. The steering noise problem could well be persistent on pre-face lift models of the I10.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:23   #57
BHPian

I have not had any rattling issues anywhere in my i10. Mine is a pre-facelift September 2010 i10. I have done around 10k kms so far. I had another issue though. I was very surprised to see rust on the gear shift lever. I complained to the service center(HMP Chennai). They replaced it without any fuss.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:53   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Is the steering rattle trouble of i20 is so much worse & frequent for which the car needs to left out of consideraion while buying as i'm planning to buy a Premium diesel hatchback & i20 CRDi Sportz is on the top of my consideration list.
In both real world & across the forum, Got somewhat mixed type of replies on this query yet.
I own a Nov 2010 make i20 Asta CRDi and there's no rattle of any sort what-so-ever! (clocked 9000kms). May be I got lucky or may be the issue is indeed been resolved in the newer models.
Old 31st May 2011, 12:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
No offence meant but in our terms an i20 is the new benchmark for a 'khataara' in Indian market. No idea why it sells at such huge numbers.
Ditto here. No idea indeed. May be Indian herd mentality. We queue up to buy what every one buys. I have some people in my neighbourhood who know zero about cars; they just went ahead and bought i10 just because every one is buying it. All you have to do in India is to bring it up to that magic sales number and thereafter it will sell on its own.
Old 31st May 2011, 12:21   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Ditto here. No idea indeed. May be Indian herd mentality. We queue up to buy what every one buys. I have some people in my neighbourhood who know zero about cars; they just went ahead and bought i10 just because every one is buying it. All you have to do in India is to bring it up to that magic sales number and thereafter it will sell on its own.
Well, i don't think 14k ppl a month will spend their hard earned money on something just because others are buying it. If they do they would be better off buying a Maruti, because lots more buy it. Not everyone maybe be aware of the intricate details of a car. For most people its just a thing which gets them from point a to b. They have their priorities and they buy cars if it ticks most of the items in the checklist.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks