Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 14:44   #91
BANNED

re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02 View Post
I would need your experts opinion whether to go buy or not
To buy or not to buy, thats your personal decision. As far as Steering Rattle is concerned its not yet resolved in 2011 cars too.
Old 6th June 2011, 15:04   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I think the only reason I could think of for the high sales, in spite of these issues, is the lack of awareness and chalta hai attitude. ( I know I20 has lot of other positives)
I actually told one of my colleagues about the problems in I20 but he was like - its not a big deal ...it won't happen with me. God only knows how he knows that. He still went ahead and bought I20. He has not faced this issue and I hope he does not face it ever. But he is very disappointed with the AC.
Precisely! I told two of my colleagues and forwarded this link too. One was helpless because his wife mentally started imagining being driven around in the I20. The other one is the kind who will drive on the opposite side of the road if his side is jammed, so I don't think he would bother about this issue (I wonder if he understood any of this!)

Anyway, to each his own! Sigh!
Old 6th June 2011, 21:56   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Precisely! I told two of my colleagues and forwarded this link too. One was helpless because his wife mentally started imagining being driven around in the I20. The other one is the kind who will drive on the opposite side of the road if his side is jammed, so I don't think he would bother about this issue (I wonder if he understood any of this!)

Anyway, to each his own! Sigh!
It appears that the average Indian customer has built such a lofty/premium image of the I20 that people either don't seem to care about these problems -- no matter how persistent they are, or even if they are addressed by Hyundai or not -- or worse still, are blissfully ignorant about them. The prestige on owning an I20 is enough to erase any niggles of the car.

Comeing back to my previous post, how many owners of the I10 face-lift vehicles have had problems with the steering? As far as I can recall, the problem is restricted to the I20.

Last edited by misquitas : 6th June 2011 at 21:58.
Old 6th June 2011, 22:37   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
It appears that the average Indian customer has built such a lofty/premium image of the I20 that people either don't seem to care about these problems -- no matter how persistent they are, or even if they are addressed by Hyundai or not -- or worse still, are blissfully ignorant about them. The prestige on owning an I20 is enough to erase any niggles of the car.

Comeing back to my previous post, how many owners of the I10 face-lift vehicles have had problems with the steering? As far as I can recall, the problem is restricted to the I20.
Just after I posted the above message, my other friend who owns an i10 (2011 may) to whom too I informed about certain issues (this thread wasn't there yet then I suppose) calls me up to tell me that his i10's steering is rattling like anything on rough roads!
Old 6th June 2011, 22:46   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02
Guys,

I am planning to by a CRDI i20 asta model. I would need your experts opinion whether to go buy or not, as i read a lot about the steering rattle issue still not solved issues. I always rely on team-bhp shoulders when it comes to by a car.
There is tons of info on i20 here. You have to decide for yourself. The car has many positive points too, but this issue and ac was not something I could take a chance, so opted out and got the Jazz.
Old 6th June 2011, 22:56   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
To buy or not to buy, thats your personal decision. As far as Steering Rattle is concerned its not yet resolved in 2011 cars too.
It is indeed unfortunate that the companies do not focus on such issues especially given the condition of roads in most cities. Instead they focus on providing turn lights in side view mirrors which only add cosmetic value to the vehicle. Since i10 is exported out of India, I wonder how it does in other markets given these problems.
Old 7th June 2011, 14:15   #97
BHPian

Hi I have one question, usually when (i mean after how many kms or days), people noticing thess noises?
wildon can you help please?
Old 7th June 2011, 14:22   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-katz View Post
Since i10 is exported out of India, I wonder how it does in other markets given these problems.
I hope the 'Made in India' tag does not get tagged/ branded with a bad quality tag in other countries just because Hyundai cannot solve the damn problem. Are Hyundai not toying with the Made in India tag by exporting cars elsewhere with unresolved issues?

I hope the other manufacturers can produce enough niggle free cars to ensure a good image of Indian made cars; subsequently helping with more investment/ jobs.
Old 7th June 2011, 15:06   #99
Senior - BHPian

What a disaster! I20 in particular has been selling very well and this is not a problem that one would expect from a 6 lakh hatch! And I'm also not sure that Hyundai is doing the right thing by plaing Hide and seek here. They should be open about the issue and correct all the cars! Cmon, this should not be difficult for Hyundai who have a very good service network.
I have never felt passionate about Hyundai's cars and such issues mean I may never opt for one!
Old 7th June 2011, 18:39   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez02 View Post
Guys,

I am planning to by a CRDI i20 asta model. I would need your experts opinion whether to go buy or not, as i read a lot about the steering rattle issue still not solved issues. I always rely on team-bhp shoulders when it comes to by a car.
Have a look at this video I had taken while trying to demonstrate how bad the steering rattle gets in the i20. The sound was actually much louder. I had shot this video using my mobile phone.

Turn up your speakers to hear the rattle sound, which actually is much louder than recorded in the video. The rattle can be prominently heard between the following time periods in the video:
1. 10 seconds to 16 seconds.
2. 21 seconds to 26 seconds

Whether you want to buy the car is your personal decision. The steering rattle does exist on 2011 models as well. Try asking the the showroom chaps about the steering rattle. Their standard reply shall be : it was there in earlier i20 models, but it has been solved now. If they are so confident about the rattle having being eliminated in 2011 models, ask them to give it in writing, that should you buy an i20 and if your car suffers from such rattle, your entire money should be refunded. I bet my bottom paisa they will not give it to you in writing.

Now that temperature has cooled down due to rains, the i20 A/c complaints will largely disappear but more & more steering rattle complaints may be reported . As the roads will be turning bad, more and more i20 owners will hear this steering rattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
What a disaster! I20 in particular has been selling very well and this is not a problem that one would expect from a 6 lakh hatch! And I'm also not sure that Hyundai is doing the right thing by plaing Hide and seek here. They should be open about the issue and correct all the cars!
Part of Hyundai's "New Thinking,New possibilities" drive, I think. They lay so much emphasis on "thinking", even their new Verna has the catch line "sets you thinking". I wonder if these Hyundai chaps have their thinking caps on to address the steering rattle issue.

update from harsha in CW forums(Attn : i20 owners. Steering rattling noise - Page 31 | Maintain Your Car | Car Forums - CarWale)
Quote:
Here is the update after new rack change in car. Last sunday i have travelled 650 KMS. Guess what the rattling is still there, the worst part is Steering has become very hard. Trust me its very hard and i couldnt drive at all. I have used both my hands to steer and driving 650KMS like that is really a pain. Horror part after reaching the place while coming back i have started the engine, no warning lights but the steering is not working i couldnt turn the wheel at all, i felt very scary and started the engine again then it worked normally as if nothing was wrong.
For my own good i gave up. If any one in this forum is from hyundai or if some one from hyundai is reading this. I gave up, am not going to the dealer any more. I dont know how many of you are aware in USA there was a time when people use to play jokes on hyundai cars because of their reliability. Thats when hyundai introduced 1Lakh KMS warranty to gain US customers trust.
That is USA and they have to do that for their survival, here in india they dont care a damn for their customers. IF u keep on complaining they will avoid u rather than understanding how serious the problem is. I still cannot understand why on earth they are not taking this seriously.
I dont even feel like touching the car. Its my hard earned money and my first car in my life. Since i finished my graduation i use to dream alot about buying a car.
I had a very bad experience from the time i bought this car. Only the first month i was happy, that time i never knew there was lot Hyundai has already planned for me.
Hyundai is doing nothing but destroying people's dreams. For many of us, the i20 was supposed to be dream car, the car with so many features and that feel good feeling. But this loud steering rattle has destroyed those dreams. People invest their hard earned money in the car and then the company behaves arrogantly with the customers who report issues. What is Hyundai "thinking" ?

Harsha's experience of the steering becoming very hard(eventhough the engine was on) is very close to what I felt when the EPS malfunctioned in my car. This is insane, a 6 lac+ car having such a serious issue with the steering and Hyundai is still sleeping. I feel really sorry for Harsha.

One of these days, someone may seriously get hurt due to the issues with the car's steering and Hyundai's lack of initiative in solving the issue. I sincerely pray that day never comes.
Old 7th June 2011, 18:59   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Hyundai is doing nothing but destroying people's dreams. For many of us, the i20 was supposed to be dream car, the car with so many features and that feel good feeling. But this loud steering rattle has destroyed those dreams. People invest their hard earned money in the car and then the company behaves arrogantly with the customers who report issues. What is Hyundai "thinking" ?
I am really out of words to express the pains that you and many others experience with the i20's rattling problems.

Being a very satisfied Santro owner, I too initially thought that only a handful of i20s (presumably from a particular lot) had this problem. But when so many people are out complaining about the problem, that too in a premium priced hatchback, what the hell is Hyundai doing?

Don't they have the moral responsibility to come out and explain what is what and how are they going to solve it? When Maruti and Honda can do it in India, why can't Hyundai? They are just losing the trust of so many customers like you which is not right for the long-term future of Hyundai in India.

There may be thousands of satisfied Hyundai customers like me, but it would probably be a few hundred unsatisfied customers like you who are going to decide the image and future course of the company.
Old 7th June 2011, 19:19   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
Hi I have one question, usually when (i mean after how many kms or days), people noticing thess noises?
It actually depends on the kind of roads you drive on I guess. Mine started rattling only after 14.5K or so. And its pretty annoying to hear that. The noise would get louder as the road conditions worsened.
Old 7th June 2011, 19:38   #103
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
Started around at 10000.k.m. See my post here regarding that.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1792782
wildon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 21:17   #104
Senior - BHPian

A friend from BLR had it from day one. I was awaiting to hear from him before I made my decision. He had multiple component failure. The seat belt indicator would not switch off, kept ringing. Wiper stalk used to get stuck, steering noise etc.
Old 7th June 2011, 22:28   #105
Senior - BHPian

hmmm I am glad to say that none of my friends are facing any problem related to steering rattles. Out of the 4 cars 2 x 2009 Asta, 1 x 2010 Asta and 1 x 2011 Asta. Another friend is getting his i20 Magna CRDi in 2 weeks. Will see if he encounters any problems.

Regarding AC problem i have not seen a single car under 20 lac that has a good ACC These includes the likes of Honda Civic, Skoda Laura, Toyota Fortuner etc.

Most Viewed