Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 10:24   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

The steering rattle in my car had started before the first service itself(< 600 kms on the odometer). To this date, it has remained unsolved inspite of all sorts of experiments.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2088225
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 11:12   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
hmmm I am glad to say that none of my friends are facing any problem related to steering rattles. Out of the 4 cars 2 x 2009 Asta, 1 x 2010 Asta and 1 x 2011 Asta.
Are these i10 or i20? Also do they drive on any rough roads or is it complete city usage?
The problem with my friend was that he thought the noise was normal till we compared with 2 other cars on the same stretch. I hope this is not the case with your friends/ their cars.

In any case, I dont think every car will have the problem. The concern here is that a worryingly high % of cars do have the problem and what is worse is that Hyundai are trying to ignore/ brush this away under the carpet. Their stature as a company would be enhanced if they accept the issue, but I think they are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea as they cannot admit to it unless they have a solution to the issue! Till then, they will continue to try and trick the complainants by using different responses/ workarounds, but no permanent fix.

It is the proverbial elephant in the room; everyone knows it is there but nobody will admit to it.

Last edited by selfdrive : 8th June 2011 at 11:16.
Old 8th June 2011, 11:51   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Started around at 10000.k.m. See my post here regarding that.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1792782

Thanks wildon, skanchan95 for replying. I am at 2500km mark and till now ("touchwood") have not to deal with noise issue. Have been driving on quite rough roads...that's all we have in chennai mostly. specailly my daily commute which is like 10kms of potholes! Though i agree that i take good care of not exceeding crawl spped for 1st/2nd gear on rough roads and approach a speed breaker similar way. but way to go....for 10k kms! :-)

P.S.: I know it's OT but when we are here and i have your attention, just wanted to ask one more thing, 2 days ago, we were out to Airport and it started raining heavily in Chennai(72mm in 1 hour!) after that i20 was chiming "Door Open" warning as soon as i open the driver side door. it has stopped now but got me worried for 1 day. (i was thinking some short circuit or blown fuse etc.). Do you have any clue on it or where i should be looking for the understanding the issue?

Last edited by Suess : 8th June 2011 at 12:02.
Old 8th June 2011, 12:38   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Are these i10 or i20? Also do they drive on any rough roads or is it complete city usage?
All the cars are i20 CRDi Asta. 3 of them are White and 1 is Black.

2 x 2009 ASTA have already completed around 60k KM and they are driven on mixed roads and a lot of highway driving too. Both the cars are on 15" Wheels. Black i20 is running on 17" and no problem.

The only problem they face is with ACC which sometimes doesn't cool in the scorching heat of 44C!
Old 8th June 2011, 15:12   #110
Senior - BHPian

Just when you thought that hyundai is introducing exciting cars such as I20, the new Verna etc, you have this steering rattle issue. I have not heard such gross issues even in Tata{ the newer generation} and Maruti, considering their volumes are significantly high too.

Also on a more serious note, how is that none of the Auto Magazines such as Auto Car or Top gear have mentioned this in their long term reviews? I know that Auto car tends to be very diplomatic, but Top gear is very outright in their comments.
Why cannot we bring this to their notice then?
Old 8th June 2011, 19:33   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Also on a more serious note, how is that none of the Auto Magazines such as Auto Car or Top gear have mentioned this in their long term reviews? I know that Auto car tends to be very diplomatic, but Top gear is very outright in their comments.
Why cannot we bring this to their notice then?
I wrote to some magazines on this issue while I was considering the car. No response at all. No report on this in the media.
Old 8th June 2011, 20:49   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I wrote to some magazines on this issue while I was considering the car. No response at all. No report on this in the media.
I too had written about the steering rattle issue to all major car magazines and it was later published in a reputed car magazine . I was asked to give details of the issue and the story was published in the July 2010 edition of that magazine. The magazine had apparently written about the issue to Hyundai about the issue at the time of printing. However, no response came from the magazine after the story was published.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 8th June 2011 at 20:50.
Old 9th June 2011, 11:50   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Doesn't it give rise to suspicion that the magazines are on the take from the auto maker? Ok, this may sound to be putting it too crudely or blatantly but suspicion, nevertheless. Largesse may not always be in the cash form. Ad revenue is one form.
Old 12th June 2011, 16:02   #114
Senior - BHPian

If the cars have such serious rattles and yet sell by the thousands, then maybe the normal buyers :
- are not aware of the rattle (not audible enough in traffic) or
- even if they are aware, they think it would exist on most cars on our roads or
- they think, it is just a rattle, what's the big deal ?

A panel rattling itself can be a nightmare for the discerning user/driver. The problem reported on this thread seems to be more than a irritant - could be a potential safety issue too, given that the noise emanates from the steering.
Old 12th June 2011, 17:13   #115
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
If the cars have such serious rattles and yet sell by the thousands :
Actually the rattle does not happen on the normal roads. Typically people would get irritated if the rattle is a constant one and happened on normal roads. The rattle happens when you hit a bad patch of road, because of which people are likely to blame the road rather than the car. Hyundai has tried to fix it with special grease and foam padding and it does work. The rattle does not in any way impact the handling of the car. Your co-passenger will not even notice the rattle.

The rattling in my i20 was fixed but it did reappear and the second time round it was fixed and it did not reoccur. My i10 is fine.

Cheers

KPS
Old 13th June 2011, 08:22   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Actually the rattle does not happen on the normal roads. Typically people would get irritated if the rattle is a constant one and happened on normal roads.
Not as per the quoted post below (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2373695). These issues are all long term effects of the steering rattle. I had already posted of how the EPS malfunctioned in our car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
My Nov 2009 model i20 CRDI also has the steering rattle issue, previously I could hear it on broken roads only, now it has started on butter smooth roads too, I once complained to the dealer once and the service attendant bluntly told me on my face that this issue cannot be fixed, I told him to give me the same in writing and he refused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
The rattle happens when you hit a bad patch of road, because of which people are likely to blame the road rather than the car. Hyundai has tried to fix it with special grease and foam padding and it does work. The rattle does not in any way impact the handling of the car. Your co-passenger will not even notice the rattle.
No one would actually care if the rattle is from a door panel. It usually gets fixed quite easily.The rattle in the i20/i10 is from the steering, a critical system in the car, which cannot be ignored.

The steering rattle sound is typically accompanied by a a feeling that the whole steering column is loose( as if it could pop out any moment - many who are facing the rattle issue will concur with this). Now, when this rattle is supposedly fixed, the feeling of looseness disappears as well. But soon it comes back as soon as the rattle starts again.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 13th June 2011 at 08:31.
Old 17th June 2011, 17:29   #117
BHPian

Thanks alot to i20 owners for enormous replies on this query with very detailed explanations.
Leave aside buying, after reading these above posts one can't even dare to check out i20.
But even then I strengthened my heart & finally had a teasing conversation with Hyundai SE & inturn he said, he haven't heard this complaint not even in a single i20 with such problem, sold till to date.
He even agreed to show his dealership's Service record register to me to witness his sayings.
He added that even if anybody had got this trouble, anywhere across the country that might have cropped out due to the worst road conditions prevailing there.
Please suggest guys what to do now !
Any Teambhp-ians from punjab can you also present the actual scenario of i20's in our state.
Old 17th June 2011, 18:59   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
But even then I strengthened my heart & finally had a teasing conversation with Hyundai SE & inturn he said, he haven't heard this complaint not even in a single i20 with such problem, sold till to date.
He even agreed to show his dealership's Service record register to me to witness his sayings.
He is lying through his teeth or is ignorant. The company officials at the Chennai regional office has accepted this fact.

But you can certainly take the risk if you wish. The car is a winner in many other areas. Many of my friends and relatives are living happily with the issue. The other benefits mean more to them.
Old 18th June 2011, 11:57   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
He added that even if anybody had got this trouble, anywhere across the country that might have cropped out due to the worst road conditions prevailing there.
Typical trained Hyundai response!!! That fellow is shamelessly lying to you. Why not show him the video I posted and the Hyundai steering rattle database link? Let him then dare to say that no such issue exists.

Other cars( including cars which cost nearly one third of an i20) do not have this issue even in the worst of roads. Steering rattle complaints have come to Hyundai from across the country and abroad. If the issue did not exist, then how come Hyundai did all such failed experiments to fix the steering rattle( and still that issue hasn't gone away). That Hyundai fellow is living in a fool's paradise.

I have now been told to wait for an upgraded /modified part for my car to solve the steering rattle issue. Does it not speak of the issue being known to Hyundai and that the issue still exists in i20s?
Old 18th June 2011, 15:30   #120
BHPian

My friend is facing this issue. It was fixed once by hyundai. But reappeared after sometime. I gave him this thread link on possible solutions...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks