Team-BHP - 'Reclaim your life' Safari is now bulletproof
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   'Reclaim your life' Safari is now bulletproof (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/97888-reclaim-your-life-safari-now-bulletproof.html)

Taking 'Reclaim your life' to another level. :D

Whats the kerb weight of such a vehicle? And, pardon me for asking, the fuel efficiency? stupid:

From Business Standard. Linky: Now an AK-47 resistant Tata Safari
Quote:

If safety is of paramount importance for the rich and powerful while on the move, India’s largest vehicle maker, Tata Motors has introduced an armoured variant of its Safari, which can even resist an assault of an AK-47 rifle.
The new variant of the Safari, Tata Motors’ ageing sports utility vehicle, is one of the most affordable bullet-proof vehicles in the local market. It is available directly from the manufacturer at Rs 60 lakh.

more like "Preserve your life"

I wonder whether the engine is beefed up to take the extra weight

Netas and businessmen are going to be happy!

Bulletproofing would involve every exterior part and underbelly of the car, right?

Any idea how they plan to modify the tyres?

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 2275017)
Netas and businessmen are going to be happy!

Bulletproofing would involve every exterior part and underbelly of the car, right?

Any idea how they plan to modify the tyres?

The bullet proof Ambassadors and later Contessas have been with us for decades. But 60L sounds a lot.

Tyres are no brainer - install run flats as in most bullet proof cars.

nothing new from tata. tata has been manufacturing armoured tata sumo for decades now. armoured sumo weigs around 4-5tons.

when i shut the rear door of armoured sumo i had to use both my hands , it was so heavy.

also armoured vehicles have very small opening as windows.

Well, you get a highly discrete vehicle that can stand any abuse you throw at it.And now armoured too.
But could have done with a more powerful engine.
Not only lugging the heavy weight beast it would also help in times of emergency.

A cheaper alternative to the 6cr S-Guard or the Bullet proof BMW.
Unless Tata plans to price this >=50 lacs .

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 2274975)
I wonder whether the engine is beefed up to take the extra weight

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit_mechengg (Post 2275049)
armoured sumo weigs around 4-5tons

Quote:

Originally Posted by DicKy (Post 2275135)
But could have done with a more powerful engine.

With the Sumo weighing upwards of 4 tons, I doubt the Safari's stock engine can haul the mass.

Any idea about what engine is plonked in?.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinaydas (Post 2275190)
A cheaper alternative to the 6cr S-Guard or the Bullet proof BMW.
Unless Tata plans to price this >=50 lacs .

The 6cr S-Guard comes with built in protection against Dragunov assault and so does a HSV BMW. AK47!!! well that's not even requiring a mention here. So...we shouldn't be talking about alternatives here I believe.

An armoured Safari...that's built to be a part of motorcade and not to ferry around protectees themselves. There is one champaign colored armoured Safari that is seen at times at the DLF Golf Course in Gurgaon. I am apalled by its fit & finish.

The S-Guard comes with factory fitted floor armour, breathing equipment, emergency exit using pyro triggers on the 3 inch windshield... I wonder what TATA will make out with contraptions fitted in the name of safety car going by the cheepie fit and finish of the standard cars they provide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 2275246)
With the Sumo weighing upwards of 4 tons, I doubt the Safari's stock engine can haul the mass.

Any idea about what engine is plonked in?.

AFAIK, in the reports it's said that it's the same 140 BHP engine.

60 sounds high. How much if you buy for 9 and get it bullet proofed outside??

60 is way too high for Safari. And if it's the same engine, the car will crawl.

don't you need license from police to own bullet proof vehicle?.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveen.raju (Post 2275437)
60 is way too high for Safari. And if it's the same engine, the car will crawl.

Assuming the Safari weighs same as Sumo. It translates into ~35bhp/tonne? How are they planning to escape from the scene?.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max (Post 2275441)
don't you need license from police to own bullet proof vehicle?.

I doubt so, as they are of no real threat to the surroundings. Unless the 4 tons is involved in an accident.

Former Andhra Pradesh CM Chandra Babu Naidu travels in a convoy of grey Bullet Proof Safari Dicor 2.2's.

I have had the opportunity to inspect the car from very close and I spoke to the driver quite a lot of times ( I live very close to Naidu's house). The driver tells me that the suspension is beefed up and different from that of a regular Safari and the engine is tuned differently as well to put out more torque and power.

He tells me it weighs more than 6 tonnes, gives a FE of 3.8- 4.5 kmpl in the city and 7kmpl on the highway.