Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 10:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why aren't CVTs preferred to regular autos in india?

Quote:
My i-10 gives me 8 kmpl.

At the end of the day its an AT without the much hyped about rubberband effect..
Thats horrible mileage, isn't it? I think the CIVIC AT gives same or better mileage than that. ANHC certainly gives better. Even Vento AT.

Well, thats one of the reasons I couldn't like the i10 AT as much, no matter however I tried. It is quite slow and gives very poor mileage. One thing is sure though, nothing beats it for sheer convenience. Overall, it looks like a good car for Bangalore city (which infamously boasts of the worst traffic congestion in the country by a million mile)
Old 17th March 2011, 11:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Even Honda CRV AT returns 8-10 kpl. Don't know why i10 is such a fuel guzzler.
Old 18th March 2011, 04:47   #33
KMT
BHPian

Hi Mpower

You dont seriously call Audis attempt at CVT via its Multitronic venture with LuK a success do you, why is the VAG group investing heavily in Dual clutch tech since 2005? None of their higher cc cars use multitronic and the models that did have been plagued with problems (google it and see).

"How much more do you realistically expect out of a 300 bhp petrol 4wd AT SUV?
My i-10 gives me 8 kmpl. "

Hey as for mileage I agree it is relative. In my case the Murano is used by by wife to ferry my son to kindergarten on clear subburban roads ( no traffic or burning rubber involved).
My comments are based on other cars I have had including a V8 5Ltr Ford Falcon and a Jeep Cherokee I-6 4Ltr. Believe me, they gave better mileage under similar conditions- 7 in traffic and up to 10 on the hwy. And both those had ancient 3-4 speed slushmatic ATs.

I expected a new gen CVT Nissan to give me between 8-10 under suburban /Hwy use. It is not a complaint against the mileage, I am complaining about the efficiency loss of a CVT.

Anshuman, from a cost perspective I think the traditional/Planetary AT wil be the cheapest given that it has been around for so long and a lot of R&D has been already done on it. With CVT and DSG, there is a lot of R&D and expensive recalls going on compared to the traditional AT.

Overall I am a big believer in AT, however based on my experience, I would not recommend a CVT.

Last edited by KMT : 18th March 2011 at 04:51.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:44   #34
BHPian

Cursory googling reveals that SOME CVTs actually deliver better mpg than the manual versions of the same model cars.

the cvt version gives better mileage than the manual transmission model - Google Search

Nissan Sentras and Versas are a few examples

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks