Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2006, 12:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

Tata Palio coming soon

Tata motors is going to manufacture and sell Fiats Palio and Siena cars!
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...juA&refer=asia
Jan 13 is the date of the press conference.

Also Tata will display 3 Fiat cars at the Auto EXPO
http://www.business-standard.com/com...&autono=211188

Looks like Palio is not dead yet!
Old 11th January 2006, 12:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

good for both parties!
but Sienna ? and not Petra ? well whatever

so will TATA be stopping production of Petrol Indica's and let Palio take the petrol market & concentrate fully on diesel segment?
Old 11th January 2006, 12:32   #3
BHPian

Good News for both..

Though I am not sure how both comopanies can reconcile the competing products in the same segment..

Most likely Palio with some modifications (hopefully with ABS/Airbags) will be positioned against Swift/GETZ and Siena against Fiesta and Baleno..

But for those complaining about Fiat's poor service/parts, they no longer can complain about Fiat now.

They can complain about Tata's Poor Service

Old 11th January 2006, 15:09   #4
BHPian

Thats really good news for all those who loved the Palio but hated Fiats ASS (like me)

Hope now, we will have Indicas with Palio's build quality and Tata's service network for the Fiat's
and not the other way round
Old 11th January 2006, 15:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
Hope now, we will have Indicas with Palio's build quality and Tata's service network for the Fiat's
and not the other way round
This is really a very encouraging sign. Palio is too decent a car to have a silent burial. Good for all of us.

However Indica's build-quality is not really so bad anymore, you know... Ask me. I have a long experience with a 2003 V2 and now a 6 month old V2. On a cold morning you start the 2003 V2 and it will threaten to bring the whole neighborhood down with all the racket that it creates. Mind you this car otherwise is still going strong without much to complain about unlike the earlier Indicas which used to go phutt within the first 1000kms (some even say 100kms).

Now about the new Indica (the 6 months old one). It has crossed the 5k mark now. Nothing rattles, squeaks or otherwise creates a racket. On a cold morning when the car is started it definitely sounds coarse but it actually sings when compared to the 2003 Indica.

IMO, fit and finish of Indicas have already undergone a sea change and they are improving with every passing day. Only the wisecracks and some old perceptions have remained.
Old 11th January 2006, 16:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, esp if there's a tech collaboration too. The Indica TDI will benefir a ton from Palio handling, if they indeed share that. Also, The Indica petrol never really took off, so they dont really compete! Both cars were designed by I.D.E.A, and it did seem that they made twice the money from a single job
Old 11th January 2006, 16:11   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats really good news for all those who loved the Palio but hated Fiats ASS (like me)
Spot on! And great find TSK.

If Tata indeed supports the Palio, and they have a flaming Red 1.6 GTX on offer.....thats my next car!!

GTO
Old 11th January 2006, 16:50   #8
Team-BHP Support

thanks GTO and who exactly drives the 220 then?
Old 11th January 2006, 16:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
thanks GTO and who exactly drives the 220 then?
something tells me its not going to be your driver
Old 11th January 2006, 17:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

So, I will have to wait till Friday the 13th for the results of Tata-Fiat Alliance. Hope they will consider the existing customers also when making the announcement. Anyway, if Fiat and Tata are building Palio/Petra and if Fiat is planning to sell it thro' Tata dealers, it is good news for us existing customers. We can atleast expect better service than what we are used to currently (hopefully. I have no experience of Tata dealers at Bangalore though). What interests me is the designs they are planning to unveil on Friday. Atleast, this should give the direction in which both are planning to move after the MoU. I am hoping for the best. I was anyhow planning to replace my Palio 1.2 this year or the next. I might now look back to buy from the same stable.
Old 11th January 2006, 17:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Grande Punto is my next one - heck i'll even take the Alfa as an add on if this really happens !

Im holding my breath tight ....
Old 11th January 2006, 17:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
I have no experience of Tata dealers at Bangalore though.
I've been to one of them and got good service, but I wonder how they will hold up in the wake of this alliance. Prerna had 12 service bays at its Service Centre, and they were handling something like 90 vehicles a day......that includes hordes of call centre Sumos & Indicas who come in for urgent service in between their pick-up/drop-off times.

They're full up. How will they handle another line of cars??????
Old 11th January 2006, 17:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Another interesting feature is that Mr. Sergio Marchionne, the CEO of Fiat, had announced that he is interested in building a good Asia specific diesel engine with the cooperation of Tatas. I read it in one of his interviews. This looks like a good option. Fiat with its good diesel technology and Tatas with their expertise in low cost manufacturing will make a good and an economical engine, which is what is needed in Asia.
Old 11th January 2006, 17:25   #14
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I've been to one of them and got good service, but I wonder how they will hold up in the wake of this alliance. Prerna had 12 service bays at its Service Centre, and they were handling something like 90 vehicles a day......that includes hordes of call centre Sumos & Indicas who come in for urgent service in between their pick-up/drop-off times.

From what i hear ... They have been asked to Open New Service Outlet's for the Fiat Line-Up ... though they might be allowed to sell them Under One Roof (read Showroom) ...
Old 11th January 2006, 17:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid

That is my worry exactly. I remember your post which said that they accorded primary treatment to you inspite of all the cars that they had to work on. I have heard that Prerna has three different service centers in Bangalore.

I believe I am speculating far too fast. The announcement is yet to happen and only then will we get a clear picture of what both have in mind.

Another news I have heard is that Sundaram has shut shop as Fiat dealer in Bangalore. I have not cross-checked though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks