Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2013, 12:44   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Good News on its Way for VW and Skoda Owners

Exactly, many people want to buy a non-Maruti car but fear their fate (due to After Sales) if they buy some other car. I was one such person few months ago. Test drove the Swift / Dzire but just could not convince myself to buy one.

So settled for a brand with ok levels of After sales, but awesome products!!

Last edited by 2000rpm : 5th July 2013 at 13:01.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 12:53   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Good News on its Way for VW and Skoda Owners

There was a discussion on this before also. CCI (Competitive Commission of India) was investigating car manufacturers regarding the same. There was a thread regarding this also in TBHP
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...i-scanner.html
Old 19th July 2013, 13:12   #138
BHPian

Auto parts price fixing.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/18/news...-price-fixing/

CCI definitely needs to take a look at auto parts market in India too.

I dont like the increasing trend of 'replacing everything' instead of replacing small parts actually worn out. Or ridiculous pricing of critical parts like starter motors,turbo,injectors,power window motors etc.
Old 19th July 2013, 13:41   #139
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK This is the case in most fields today, be it the Auto industry or construction industry. Labour doesn't want to get hands dirty on repairing & re-using old stuff, its too much of a hassle to them. Some even consider it an insult to their skill & effort to be told to use old stuff.

Whatever the law, companies can only do stuff that the labour agrees to do.

Athough some FNG's may be good, they aren't obliged to take up responsibilities like that of ASS's.

The CCI can only regulate auto companies to an extent, beyond which as sellers they'll reserve the right to price their stock/parts as per their discretion.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 19th July 2013 at 13:48.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 13:46   #140
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto parts price fixing.

For example - There has to be some rationale behind forcing a customer to replace an entire Axle Assembly for a Worn out Boot. C'mon, this is outright ridiculous and unfair to the customer.

Totally agree with Dr Singh here.
Old 21st December 2013, 16:46   #141
BHPian

Re: CCI vs Car Manufacturers : Restricting over-the-counter sales of spare parts

I needed a spare air filter for my Brio. Called up the honda dealers (Sundaram Honda) after being on hold for 10 minutes, they say I cannot purchase the air filter element over the counter. So i have to now go back home on my bike, and then drive the car to the dealership to get it changed.

And all this needs to be done before 6PM.
Old 22nd December 2013, 12:58   #142
BHPian

Re: CCI vs Car Manufacturers : Restricting over-the-counter sales of spare parts

I posted a comment on Honda India FB page before leaving for the dealership. By the time i reached the dealership, something has changed.

I was given the air filter element at 469 INR, with "0" labour charges. Good job Honda India.
adityasiera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 19:19   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
For example - There has to be some rationale behind forcing a customer to replace an entire Axle Assembly for a Worn out Boot. C'mon, this is outright ridiculous and unfair to the customer.

Totally agree with Dr Singh here.

Funny you should state that. I just got my axle boots changed from my mechanic(Tata Indigo). Cost 200 rs.

I was amused to see 'Made in Canada' printed on the original boot though
:-)
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 11:39   #144
BHPian

When are the Indian Authorities going to wake up?

"It is a typical case of a vertical monopoly in which the carmaker uses its leading position to control the prices of its spare parts, repair and maintenance services in downstream markets," Zhou Gao, chief of the anti-trust investigation at the Jiangsu bureau, told Xinhua.
The Xinhua report did not mention possible penalties. It said replacing all the spare parts in a Mercedes-Benz C-Class could be 12 times more expensive than buying a new vehicle, citing a report from the China Automotive Maintenance and Repair Trade Association.

-- from the article

link - http://www.financialexpress.com/news...lation/1280257
Cowardly Lion is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 16:54   #145
Senior - BHPian

Re: When are the Indian Authorities going to wake up?

Well, based on experience and association with brands like Skoda, Honda, Maruti, Toyota and Chevrolet over the years, the major reason of this monopolistic pricing of spares is due to the fact that these dealers are not provided with adequate margins on car sales by the OEM brands. Hence, to cover their establishment cost and pay their staff the dealerships get the spares/ accessories horrendously priced from the brands and sell it at the mentioned cost.

After discussing this matter with a Honda Dealership and a Skoda Dealership in Noida I was told by them that 3 major areas of income for the dealership are:

1) Spares

2) Accessories

3) Servicing

I took up a debate with a Skoda Dealership in Noida which had there Accessories Manager, The Sales Associate and the Manager of the dealership. I clearly told them that "you people charge ad-hoc prices for the accessories and spares and when requested to provide discount you people make a sulking face and give funny logic". They said sir "Hum ko kuch bhi nhi bachta" (We earn nothing in accessories). I told them bluntly that "majority of owners don't buy accessories from ASC/ Showroom because of ridiculous pricing". To which they said "Kyu aap kabar khod rahe ho sir humari?" (Why are you digging up our graves sir?).

So, because of the above they heavily charge the customers and it only needs firm customers with upright thoughts to show them the right path and enlighten them.

Thanks
Old 18th August 2014, 16:59   #146
BHPian

I would presume any such investigation committee would be paid off way before any damning evidence of price manipulation came to light officially, in India.
If it's such a well known fact, and yet nothing gets done, it's obvious that no one in any position of authority gives a hoot.
Good read though, thanks for the link.
Old 19th August 2014, 08:28   #147
Senior - BHPian

In the Indian context, the market leaders are among the more reasonable lot and the ones who sell the minimum are resorting to similar gimmicks.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 14:19   #148
BHPian

I dont think that corruption, inadequate margins etc are the reason. I think this is a case of simple greed and lack of respect for the customer and therefore his investment.

All my cars are Maruti's and overtime I have earmarked some good places where I can get my cars repaired for a fraction of what I would pay at the service station. In normal conversation with colleagues one often hears something like "Going to an Authorised service station? Why do you want to throw away your money."

Even in the case of Maruti, I have seen, the difference between quality aftermarket stuff and OEM is substantial to say the least. This is when the aftermarket industry for Maruti products is quite strong. Would I, therefore, be wrong in assuming that for other manufacturers where the aftermarket industry has not taken off due to lack of numbers etc the manufacturers/dealers etc would be making a killing?
Old 25th August 2014, 22:03   #149
BHPian

Just saw this on news. This is great news for consumers for sure. Also it Signals growth of industry for sales and distribution of genuine auto parts. This should actually help grow some of the car manufacturers. Lot of people buy Maruti cars because they can buy MGP and get it repaired at their preferred mechanic.

CCI imposes Rs2,554 crore penalty on 14 car makers

Read more at: http://www.livemint.com/Companies/l7xoA5HRji17Rv2yRLxaHK/CCI-imposes-Rs2554-crore-penalty-on-14-car-makers.html?utm_source=copy

Many manufacturers will challenge this order in alternative court, so the time till we see spare parts of our favorite brands over the counter is still far. Anyhow great news for car lovers

Last edited by SaneOp : 25th August 2014 at 22:05. Reason: description to the link
SaneOp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 22:58   #150
PPS
Senior - BHPian

For those of you interested, the whole Judgment can be read on the below link. It's a 215 page judgment, will take me some time to read it.

http://www.cci.gov.in/May2011/OrderO.../27/032011.pdf
PPS is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed