Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 14:34   #91
BANNED

Re: "Honda, Hyundai, Volkswagen come under CCI scanner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
With Honda the make/model of tyres are also clearly mentioned along with the Chassis No: and VIN no:.
I think this is standard practice with most manufacturers. Otherwise, how will one identify in the case of a warranty claim.
Old 4th September 2012, 17:33   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think this is standard practice with most manufacturers. Otherwise, how will one identify in the case of a warranty claim.
Agreed sir, but my point was with respect to warranty, Honda categorically told us that changing tyre would affect warranty related to suspension etc. Whereas for Ford it was not an issue if you changed your tyres as long as the specs are the same.

Cheers
MKP
Old 4th September 2012, 20:37   #93
BHPian

Re: Competition Commission to serve notices to car makers over costly spare parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
This topic is already being discussed under 2 separate threads. I request Mods to merge them and delete my this post.
Thanks
Thanks mods for considering my request. Please merge following thread also. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rts-sales.html
Old 4th September 2012, 22:53   #94
Senior - BHPian

This is not related to spares but relates to consumables . Some of us Vento owners figured that the engine oil that they change during the periodic servicing is Castrol Magnatec Professional - a package which is not available in the open market. In the open market one gets Castrol Magnatec while the "professional" variant is only restricted to OEMs by Castrol. So as a corollary to it, if we have to have a top-up we have to go to the workshop - isn't it ridiculous and restrictive ? We can have various debates that maybe Magnatec and Magnatec professional are similar , etc so we can top-up with the open market sada Magnatec too but as a car owner who has the threat of "warranty will be voided" dangling on my head all the time its unfair that I would have to rack my brains or use jugad solution to get around this problem. This is collusion between the OEM and Castrol - a practice that should be hammered out of shape by the authorities
Old 4th September 2012, 22:58   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
This is not related to spares but relates to consumables . Some of us Vento owners figured that the engine oil that they change during the periodic servicing is Castrol Magnatec Professional - a package which is not available in the open market. In the open market one gets Castrol Magnatec while the "professional" variant is only restricted to OEMs by Castrol. So as a corollary to it, if we have to have a top-up we have to go to the workshop - isn't it ridiculous and restrictive ?
How often do you need oil-top ups? I do an oil change and service for my Swift every 10000 kms. I have never needed an oil change in between till now.
Old 4th September 2012, 23:09   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy

How often do you need oil-top ups? I do an oil change and service for my Swift every 10000 kms. I have never needed an oil change in between till now.
er,its not about need. i change my oil every 5k,just cos i want to. i think theres a load of similarly finicky people around.
Old 5th September 2012, 12:31   #97
BHPian

IMO it’s a bad move. I always believed the engineers and mechanics at dealers are well trained, experienced and certified by the company. At least your car is in safe hands and in case of any problem one can report back to company's head office. I have been servicing my car at Whitefield Honda dealer and have always been satisfied with their service and also responses from Honda Motor were pleasing whenever I knocked their door.
The point here is, once these parts are sold in open market; our local "intelligent" mechanics will try to install them without 'proper tools' and 'product knowledge'. This will eventually lead to damage of certain other parts, etc.
My recommendation would be, manufacturers / dealers must void the warranty in case a part is replaced outside the dealership network. This will ensure, customers use standard/extended warranty to the fullest and cash in for open spares only when your car is out of warranty.

Regards,
Sary

Last edited by sary : 5th September 2012 at 12:33.
Old 5th September 2012, 12:58   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
IMO it’s a bad move. I always believed the engineers and mechanics at dealers are well trained, experienced and certified by the company. At least your car is in safe hands and in case of any problem one can report back to company's head office. I have been servicing my car at Whitefield Honda dealer and have always been satisfied with their service and also responses from Honda Motor were pleasing whenever I knocked their door.
The point here is, once these parts are sold in open market; our local "intelligent" mechanics will try to install them without 'proper tools' and 'product knowledge'. This will eventually lead to damage of certain other parts, etc.
There are parts which can be installed even by a 'all thumbs' person like me. For eg. the air-filter in my car can be replaced without any tools whatsoever. And I do it when I feel fit.
It's absolutely silly for companies to not sell spares at a reasonable rate at a spares counter.

I think Carnation was importing Honda spares from Honda in either Malaysia or Thailand because that was cheaper than buying it from Honda India. Honda India tried to stop them from doing this - no idea what happened finally.

Quote:
My recommendation would be, manufacturers / dealers must void the warranty in case a part is replaced outside the dealership network. This will ensure, customers use standard/extended warranty to the fullest and cash in for open spares only when your car is out of warranty.
Why would customer not use warranty/extended warranty to the fullest - i.e. why should something be done to 'ensure' it?
Old 5th September 2012, 13:37   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO it’s a bad move.

Regards,
Sary
The dealer staff is trained to offer stuff like clutch overhaul and AC duct disinfectant, most authorized service centers are just good enough for the regular service where an oil/fluid change is necessary, the waiting time for repairs is insane in most cases because the garage is not up to the mark. I think you have a bad experience with local mechanics, many car owners are absolutely fine with the local mechanic working on their cars because they believe the authorised dealer is a ripoff. Smart uniforms and a computerised bill is no proof of skill.

The US has laws which keep warranty intact even if you don’t take the car to an authorized service centre, it’s the EU laws that allow manufacturers to void warranty for unauthorized repairs. I remember going to the VW showroom when the Polo was launched, an aftermarket stereo or additional fog lamps would void warranty, come on, a cut price hatch with an outdated engine, it had no equipment that could possibly be damaged.
Old 5th September 2012, 14:03   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
There are parts which can be installed even by a 'all thumbs' person like me.
I prefer to stick to my daily job and let qualified people do their's!
Old 5th September 2012, 14:25   #101
BANNED

Quote:
I prefer to stick to my daily job and let qualified people do their's!
People aren't asking you to do your own work or go to a local mechanic. You are the one who is insisting that others should only go to the dealer.
Old 5th September 2012, 14:39   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

A car will outlive its warrenty period, as a car owner I should be having an option where I would like to get my car serviced from.
During warrenty period it is understandable that certain type of jobs done from outside service centres may cause damage to car and as a result car company may not be willing to pay for that, the same if done in an authorized service centre causes any issues the manufacturer will have to bear the expense.
However after warrenty period (2~4 years) if I want to replace any part / repair my car I would want to get it done at a centre which I feel is more responsive to my issue. This may be an autorised service centre or may be a neighbourhood garage. This may be hindered due to non availablity of original spares in open market.
Old 5th September 2012, 14:47   #103
BANNED

I will say that it should be my choice where I get my car maintained, and also the parts and manuals must be available. Why do they not try these tricks in their home countries?
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 14:54   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
However after warrenty period (2~4 years) if I want to replace any part / repair my car I would want to get it done at a centre which I feel is more responsive to my issue. This may be an autorised service centre or may be a neighbourhood garage. This may be hindered due to non availablity of original spares in open market.
Moreover, most of these manufacturers do not have an extensive network of service centre in the country. So if I stay in a small town and own one of these cars, I have no other option but to drive to the nearest service centre (which may not be that near after all) for just an oil change!
Old 6th September 2012, 07:57   #105
BANNED

In my humble opinion, the larger issue here is that international automobile companies, whether of Indian or foreign origin, need to provide the same level of product and service that their brand promises in North America and EU countries to customers in India also. Anything less would be equal to outright cheating and misrepresentation of facts. About time we understood that in India, that we have as much right to full international levels of product and service, and are not some third-world dumping ground for lower quality product and service. Humbly submitted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks