BHPian

Re: "Honda, Hyundai, Volkswagen come under CCI scanner"

please CCI bring Fiat too......
Old 16th March 2011, 09:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
Write to them referring the ongoing investigation against auto manufacturers asking them to include Fiat. Your voice will be heard-

Competition Commission of India - Directory
Old 17th March 2011, 12:36   #18
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
+1 to that, but the thing might be that, CCI is eyeing only the companies which are earning!
Old 17th March 2011, 14:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

I am yet to understand how is CCI getting involved. Apparantly there is no competition that is happening here. Manufacturers jacking up prices to unreasonable terms is not competition.

Even if the competition is involved, I would excpect the MRTP (Monopolies Restrictive Trade Practice) commission to get involved, its the first time I am hearing of a commission by name CCI.

Anyway coming to the topic, all the foreign brands have always been doing this. Frankly they wont stop until ppl start questioning. But I know how we are, no one will question or ask a BMW/ VW dealer for reducing price but will try to get the best out of MSIL dealers.
Old 18th March 2011, 12:59   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I am yet to understand how is CCI getting involved. Apparantly there is no competition that is happening here. Manufacturers jacking up prices to unreasonable terms is not competition.

Even if the competition is involved, I would excpect the MRTP (Monopolies Restrictive Trade Practice) commission to get involved, its the first time I am hearing of a commission by name CCI.

Anyway coming to the topic, all the foreign brands have always been doing this. Frankly they wont stop until ppl start questioning. But I know how we are, no one will question or ask a BMW/ VW dealer for reducing price but will try to get the best out of MSIL dealers.
MRTP (Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices) has been abolished and replaced by Competitive Commission of India. CCI has the mandate to investigate any complaints in the areas of anticompetitive or monopolistic practices, and charging high prices due to such practices. Car Manufacturers and Dealers have current practices that clearly violate these.

In Europe they have a act "Right to Repair" act which has given car owners the right to choose their service provider, made parts available in the open market at very competitive rates and forces Authorized dealers to compete and provide high level of service because customers have a choice. More information on http://www.r2rc.eu/

The US is also going down that path- some states have already passed the law and other are in the process of doing so. RightToRepair.org - Right To Repair Coalition

In India its only natural that we also work towards getting similar laws passed here so that car owners can reduce their cost of ownership and increase satisfaction.
Old 18th March 2011, 20:32   #21
BHPian

Very good move. If this results in some positive steps this will help road side mechanics and multi-brand service outlets. It is high time the monopoly of authorized service station is checked.
Old 18th March 2011, 20:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting. This would certainly help. I think the price is "decided" by the authorised dealers than the manufacturers.

If the manufacturers sell it to 3rd party people, then they will sell it with discounts, and which may be passed to the consumer due to competition. I think thats the goal.

Good luck.
Old 19th March 2011, 03:27   #23
BHPian

The car service/workshop manual should also be available to the owner. It will help laymen understand the car better and not get fleeced by mechanics or dealers.
Old 19th March 2011, 17:27   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead666 View Post
The car service/workshop manual should also be available to the owner. It will help laymen understand the car better and not get fleeced by mechanics or dealers.
+1 to that. Instead of giving it free, which might not be possible, customers should have a choice to buy it or not, even at a price.

Also, coming to the topic, I think its high time that Hyundai parts prices be regulated.

We have fellow forum members who are forced to pay near to 2L for AT, 30k for drive shaft, and I have friends too struggling to cope up with maintenance of their machines.
Old 25th May 2011, 11:22   #25
BHPian

CCI at it again !!

CCI probes carmakers on parts, servicing - The Times of India

Quote:
CHENNAI: Top carmakers including Fiat, Hond and Volkswagen are under investigation by the Competition Commission of India (CCI) for restricting the supply of spare parts and technical know-how for servicing cars in the open market.

The spares and service scan, crucial if the customer is to have a choice about where he wants his car to be serviced and repaired, was kicked off when the CCI reacted to a consumer complaint earlier this year and instituted an investigation against MNC car companies on the question of spare parts availability in the open market. The director-general investigation is preparing his report and all three companies have received notices on the matter.

"Honda has received a notice from CCI on this matter. We are responding to them under the legal framework. All the business practices adopted by Honda Siel Cars India fully abide various laws governing us as we follow a very strict code of corporate governance and none of the activities compromise on any law,' a spokesperson of Honda Siel said. Volkswagen India and Fiat spokespersons refused to comment. Maruti said it is "responding' to the CCI "communication'.

The CCI probe is the result of a consumer complaint on car companies and dealerships controlling the spare parts and servicing business through their dealerships. The contention is that when car brands have a limited distribution network, customers face inconvenience if their city does not have a workshop or dealer outlet. As a result the consumer is held hostage to the OEM dealerships and by controlling the supply of spares and technical knowhow , car companies and their dealers also control the price of spares and services.

Automakers said that the controlled sale of spare parts does not break any law and is important to check the supply of spurious parts. Besides , "car service and repair requires trained manpower and right tools which are only available at authorized dealerships,' said the Honda Siel spokesperson.
Off Topic : Funny how TOI has named only Fiat, Volkswagen & Honda in the headline and subtly mentioned Maruti's in the middle of the news article
Old 26th May 2011, 09:45   #26

[quote=amoghchaphalkar;2364895]CCI at it again !!

CCI probes carmakers on parts, servicing - The Times of India

I like the reason Honda uses to justify holing their customers to hostage-

"car service and repair requires trained manpower and right tools which are only available at authorized dealerships,' said the Honda Siel spokesperson."

Old 26th May 2011, 09:49   #27

I like the way Honda justifies holding its customers to hostage:

Besides , "car service and repair requires trained manpower and right tools which are only available at authorized dealerships,' said the Honda Siel spokesperson.

So we will not give you Honda owners a choice and fleece you at every visit!!!
Old 26th May 2011, 10:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
If its Fiat spares, I've personally bought them over the counter. All Concorde's sell Fiat spares over the counter. They are also diligent in ordering them for you, if not available. However when I asked another Tata-Fiat authorized service center(Malik cars, Hyderabad), they refused to sell them to me.

I also know of a mechanic who buys spares (with little discount though for the purchases he make) at Concorde for all the Fiat cars he repairs and services.
Old 26th May 2011, 12:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
If its Fiat spares, I've personally bought them over the counter. All Concorde's sell Fiat spares over the counter. They are also diligent in ordering them for you, if not available. However when I asked another Tata-Fiat authorized service center(Malik cars, Hyderabad), they refused to sell them to me.

I also know of a mechanic who buys spares (with little discount though for the purchases he make) at Concorde for all the Fiat cars he repairs and services.
I am in Delhi one dealer quoted me tleast Rs 500 extra for Mudflaps as per MRP, and other was giving it cheaper. When i told the first one (being close to my home) he agreed to that ok you give Rs 500 less...strange isn't it.

It took forever to order parts for me from elegant motors, however Tulli motors was still proactive.
Old 26th May 2011, 21:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

This is a great move , hopefully would result in customers not being held hostage by car companies and dealers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks