Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 19:31   #16
BHPian

Re: 2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery

Old man Amby is still gasping saying NO to death. As govt babus looking sx4 and the likes old man's last battle is seemingly ON. Vintage HM management has NO thoughts of giving the amby with a turbo /common rail diesel Engine?

Last edited by harimakesh : 16th March 2011 at 19:33.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:15   #17
BHPian

I simply love the Amby. There is no rear seat that quite comes close to it in terms of comfort. If I had a chauffeur, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

To paraphrase Dhoni, "You may put power steering in a car, but the steering rods, the rack and pinion, the suspension... all have to be like that."
Old 17th March 2011, 06:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
I personally feel that HM needs to re-design the Amby completely. Even if HM provides it with all the bells and whistles which are upto current standards and offered in other cars today, its the external image that needs a change, big time. Only, then they can expect more buyers for the Amby.

Believe me, love the Amby, but everytime I see one, it reminds me of an age-old design that should have been updated (not just head-lights & tail-lights) years ago.
+1 to that. This is what I meant when I said HM should try to modernize the car a little bit instead of wasting time and money in these gimmicks. I too love the Amby for what it is, but if you ask me to put my money down on a new Amby, I would never ever do that.

Come on, even iconic age-old designs like Porsche 911, Range Rover, Mercedes G Wagon, etc. are not changed drastically, but getting thoroughly modernized with every generation. Needless to say that they all look stunning.

Though not to that scale, HM can try and do something that it could afford, instead of letting Amby die a slow and painful death.
Old 17th March 2011, 08:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

I am still wondering how the car will look like with these developments. Sporty amby is like an oxymoron at least to me. Can someone post some pictures if possible?
Old 17th March 2011, 09:25   #20
BHPian

I don't understand why HM has to introduce all these features, they are anyway selling 500-600 units every month will zero effort.

Maintain the retro look is crucial to HM, it is pleasant site nowadays to see amby in traffic among the boxy cars around..
Old 17th March 2011, 10:41   #21
BHPian

I've referred E-Brochure here. I'm not sure about tank configurations of LPG/ CNG. Different part is they are having 5(!) Liter of Petrol Limp Tank for back up. Now my question is:

Where HM has placed LPG/CNG tanks?
In boot or replaced petrol tank with gas cylinder?

Attached Images
File Type: bmp Tank.bmp (308.0 KB, 7030 views)
Old 17th March 2011, 12:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Presenting the top end 2011 Ambassador Grand.
The country's first car with foot operated air conditioning controls and audio. Keep your hands on the steering wheel and let your legs do the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-untitled1.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-untitled2.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-untitled3.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-untitled4.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-untitled5.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-untitled6.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-untitled7.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-untitled8.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-untitled9.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-untitled10.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-untitled11.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-untitled12.jpg  

Old 17th March 2011, 12:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh ... Looks really different than previous one. But why they launched it with Petrol & why NOT diesel? I am not sure how much people will buy it in Petrol though they have LPG & CNG options.

Looks good but. Sid, Can we get detailed test drive report for this ?

I have dream of owning one Ambassador since childhood. Its the statement vehicle. Now i can afford one but can't buy as my family wont allow me to do so. Also its not Fuel efficient & service is really bad.
Old 17th March 2011, 13:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Brochure scans courtesy BurnYourFuel :
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-2011_hm_ambassador2.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-2011_hm_ambassador3.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-2011_hm_ambassador4.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-2011_hm_ambassador5.jpg  

Old 17th March 2011, 13:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Why do they have to advertise "power steering" on the back side of the vehicle? I dont think its a new feature. All new/modern cars do come with power steering right?

They should also have put "power breaks" otherwise it will need to be painted just like on trucks .

But seriously, Do we still need the Amby? Even babu's are shifting towards new gen cars!!
Old 17th March 2011, 13:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

That looks great. HM I can understand is trying to do all on earth to keep this thing alive and running.

Few observations:
1. The Speedo moving to center console seems to be a change alright but why cant they change the dial looks like its picked from a 1980's clock.
2. The pics shown by fz_rider do not match with that of Sid.. Guess they have not updated the site yet. So no point seeing the old Specs.
3. Any info on the Engine specs. Is it still the same isuzu engine ?

Any news on CS version??

Last edited by xingamazon : 17th March 2011 at 13:39.
Old 17th March 2011, 13:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

That brochure is old 2009-10 model. This change is available in 2011 top end versions. Diesel is also available as a 2000 cc turbocharged 71 hp unit. Pics of the same motor from my old 2009 TD report of the BS3 grand. The red car pics were sent to me by an HM dealer just now. Looks like it was on display at some local expo but cant make out the city. The placement of AC controls is just weird. You have to bend down to operate it? Why is it that HM is getting all its ergonomics messed up?
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-dsc00497.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-dsc00499.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-dsc00500.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-dsc00501.jpg  

2011 Ambassador Grand gets Avigo interors and leather upholstery-dsc00520.jpg  

Last edited by sidindica : 17th March 2011 at 13:56.
sidindica is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2011, 15:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica
Presenting the top end 2011 Ambassador Grand.
The country's first car with foot operated air conditioning controls and audio. Keep your hands on the steering wheel and let your legs do the rest.
LOL , for a second I was searching for something like this in the car .
BTW , the dash quality looks tacky from the pics . May be some clear pictures may provide more clear views .
Old 17th March 2011, 15:42   #29
BHPian

Not sure how many of you have owned Amby's here before but given a chance I will buy it anyday anytime. You can talk about rattles and niggles and all that but does anyone have any idea how cheap these cars are to maintain.

We have two Amby's one 1987 and another Grand 2003. Both are still doing duty in the rural areas of our country and both still exude confidence to the roads put forth to it. Where your Maruti's and Hyundai's had to back off these took off without even blinking.

When looked after I think it is a wonderful vehicle.

I still dont understand why the PM choose a BMW. Well its my point and its subjective but I do feel he should use an Indian Manufactured car.
Old 18th March 2011, 01:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
I still dont understand why the PM choose a BMW. Well its my point and its subjective but I do feel he should use an Indian Manufactured car.
BMW is assembled in Chennai with CKD parts, Hence it is Manufactured in India right?

If it has to be a Pure Indian Car then he should be using Bullet proofed Tata Safari, Scorpio or Manza.

Most Viewed