Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 14:26   #46
BHPian

re: Cars with bonnets visible for drivers

The bonnet is absolutely invisible in my Matiz. Its not an issue in most situations, except when I have very gently bumped neighbouring cars in tight parking spaces. This happens when i feel that the bonnet is much shorter than it actually is.
Old 17th March 2011, 15:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

My driving is distributed largely between my Esteem and the Civic and of course the i10 which I use only in the mornings to drop off my daughter in school. Anyday, I can say am comfortable with the Esteem for being able to see the bonnet. This enables me to squeeze in and out of maddening traffic and to maneuver with confidence. I am sceptical with the Civic when it comes to tight parking or sharp turns. I am able to manage in the i10 thanks to its smaller size.

To me, being able to see the bonnet is not a 'must have' but a 'would like to have' feature.

Having said the above, this feature makes a difference only in the city and not on highways.
Old 17th March 2011, 15:26   #48
BHPian

Figo is the best. You can see left as well as front lines. It helps me to park quite close to the wall in the garage. M800 had some visibility but in Ritz you can' see anything beyond the wind shield.

But for an experienced driver, it doesn't matter much
Old 17th March 2011, 18:35   #49
Senior - BHPian

In the PP i could the see front edges of the bonnet.In my 800 i have to lean forward towards the steering to see the bonnet else i see only slighlty the edge of the right side.

Me and my friend had gone to test drive a Honda City (zx) model several years ago.When my friend took the wheel he remarked that he could not see the bonnet of the car.The driver of the test vehicle remarked that my friend would have to use judgement rather than see the bonnet.He said in order to stop the vehicle at a safe distance from the vehicle in front is to slow down while approaching the vehicle and stop completely once you cannot see the bumper of the vehicle in front of you.Not a bad piece of advice don't you guys think.
Old 17th March 2011, 20:13   #50
BHPian

I was shocked to realize bonnet is easily visible in Skoda Laura. Never expected it to be since I was not used to that feeling in any car I had driver before at length.

Palio bonnet is visible to some extent, the windshield washer is definitely visible. In spite of it, this car is filled with blind spots, would be most comfortable dimensionally only if driven very frequently.

Again, its critical only during city driving. Not applicable if driven on highways at all.

Last edited by v.anand : 17th March 2011 at 20:15.
Old 17th March 2011, 20:23   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Isn't that dangerous while coming to a sudden halt..wouldn't the pillow slide forward?
You are right. Somehow it never struck me that this can happen. Should warn him!
Old 18th March 2011, 03:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
He said in order to stop the vehicle at a safe distance from the vehicle in front is to slow down while approaching the vehicle and stop completely once you cannot see the bumper of the vehicle in front of you.Not a bad piece of advice don't you guys think.
Absolutely. This is called the Tyre and Tarmac rule in the UK. When you stop behind a car, you should be able to see the car's tyre and the tarmac just below it.
Old 18th March 2011, 23:13   #53
BHPian

When I drive my friends premier padmini, I kinda enjoy it just because I can see the bonnet! It gives me the feeling of being in a different era altogether.. Also, it feels like playing a video game
Old 19th March 2011, 00:45   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
He said in order to stop the vehicle at a safe distance from the vehicle in front is to slow down while approaching the vehicle and stop completely once you cannot see the bumper of the vehicle in front of you.Not a bad piece of advice don't you guys think.

Yes a friend of mine gave me this tip, and I have been following it fastidiously since. I just loved the idea the minute I tried it. Good to have a set of internalized rules that make safe driving a habit, however trivial it might seem.

I never lean forward and look for the tyre or tarmac though
Old 19th March 2011, 17:30   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

I can see my IKON's bonnet, but I don't seem to understand what the point it?.

For correct judgment tru traffic or parking, do you really need to see the bonnet?.
Old 19th March 2011, 19:33   #56
BHPian

Although viewing the tip of the bonnet is not required its a good asset in Mumbai's bumper-to-bumper traffic. Helps one negotiate traffic and obstacles easier and also park better.
Old 19th March 2011, 20:25   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh_ny View Post
Absolutely. This is called the Tyre and Tarmac rule in the UK. When you stop behind a car, you should be able to see the car's tyre and the tarmac just below it.
+1. This is what my BIL who is an automobile engineer told me! The safest distance while driving is when you can see the tyres of the vehicle in the front. But then we cant afford to leave this much space in bumper to bumper traffic!
Old 19th March 2011, 20:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

I think the Ambassador has no competition in this. One can see the chrome headlight ring from driver's position.
Old 20th March 2011, 00:57   #59
BHPian

Sometimes for close parking behind another car at my house, I turn on the parking head lamp. With this, I can see the relection of my lights on the rear of the other car, and if there's a wall, you can see the head light beams converge. Its just to get an idea of closeness.
Old 20th March 2011, 02:45   #60
Senior - BHPian

The Baleno bonnet is fairly visible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks