Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 16:26   #106
BHPian

re: Cars with bonnets visible for drivers

I learnt to drive in an Ambassador Mark 2, 1972 model. My dad changed the RVM to increase the width to assist my reversing skills. This was one of the better cars in terms of visibility. The bonnet was clearly visible and i was probably 4ft 8in in height when i learnt driving. I could still manage to see the edge of the bonnet. Obviously the bonnet did have a steel/iron protruberance on top (not sure what it is called) which helped. Also, i have seen a lot of drivers in Kerala putting a steel rod vertical on the edge of the bonnet (again no idea what it is called) which helped in finding the edge of the bonnet

The other vehicle which was a pleasure to drive was the Premier Padmini. The bonnet was right in front of your eyes however short you were. The rings on the light assembly proved to be a guiding force during close transit with other vehicles.

I have driven a Maruti 800 but the bonnet is not completely visible. On a Wagon R it is a different story altogether. The older model had good visibility of the bonnet while the newer one is a tad challenging

I now own a Ford Fusion and the bonnet view is a delight. Of course in one of my travels i had to see the bonnet vibrate more than normal, thanks to wind factor, speed and lose rubber bushes underneath
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:24   #107
BHPian

Bonnet in a Cruze is quite visible and makes it real easy in traffic, in the early days of ownership.
Old 7th February 2016, 00:10   #108
BHPian

I know this is an old thread, but I think this is the better place to share my experience.

I am new to driving and I drove around 400kms in Bangalore traffic without much issue. But I always felt like I am keeping too much distance from other vehicles which results in other vehicles getting in between. Also I need to park very close to my compound wall, for which I always had to take help from my wife. So I started experimenting different things to get bonnet visibility, so that I can keep the right distance. I tried car DVR and even my mobile phone camera to get an idea where the bonnet ends, but even those gadgets were not able to find out where the bonnet is. Then I tried a decorative antenna (around 30 inches in length) in the left fender of my car and this really helped me. I have attached the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Cars with bonnets visible for drivers-img_20160201_084357486.jpg  

Cars with bonnets visible for drivers-img_20160201_084418674.jpg  

sibitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 10:16   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibitg View Post
Then I tried a decorative antenna (around 30 inches in length) in the left fender of my car and this really helped me. I have attached the pics.
I've seen few Innova's with such a set up but the antenna or whatever they used were shorter and hence stuck at the upper part of the bumper.

In your set up, the antenna doesn't shake due to winds or on a highway and hit the upper part of your bumper?

Another costly alternative is to have parking sensors like the six sensor set up (2 front and 4 back). The only issue is - they are calibrated to warn at a specific distance which means it will not differentiate whether you are close or very close to an obstacle. I've seen this issue even with a visual display. My parking sensor shows zero distance remaining and beeps but there will be little more space to move. With experience I've become less dependent on them unless there are obstacles too low to be visible from the driver's seat.

Last edited by pacman2881 : 7th February 2016 at 10:21.
Old 7th February 2016, 11:01   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibitg View Post

I am new to driving and I drove around 400kms in Bangalore traffic without much issue. But I always felt like I am keeping too much distance from other vehicles which results in other vehicles getting in between.
Don't get worried about the distance that you are keeping from other vehicles. Its always good to maintain reasonable distance during your learning phase(even otherwise as well). Its an art, especially driving in city traffics and by experience you will learn all the nitty gritties. Also, initially it will be a pain seeing others going fast or trying to push you off the road but sooner than later you will learn to handle such situations.

Good to see that this antenna is helping you, but isn't it easy to pull out by anyone when the car is parked in public place. Also, how does it behave on the highways?

In city traffic, It shouldn't get stuck in any 2W guys shirt or any other objects as these guys come very closer to the car.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 20:16   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
In your set up, the antenna doesn't shake due to winds or on a highway and hit the upper part of your bumper?
In city traffic the antenna is stable, it is not shaking. But I am not sure on the highway, yet to hit highway. I hope I will be able to drive without this in another two months time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Also, initially it will be a pain seeing others going fast or trying to push you off the road but sooner than later you will learn to handle such situations.
Good to see that this antenna is helping you, but isn't it easy to pull out by anyone when the car is parked in public place. Also, how does it behave on the highways?
In city traffic, It shouldn't get stuck in any 2W guys shirt or any other objects as these guys come very closer to the car.
Thanks Arun. Your are right, company buses, TTs and BMTC volvos always tries to push me off my lane. Hope I will be able to handle them when I complete 2000 kms in city. I feels like it is easier to drive within city rather than Ring Road where I am seeing all the rash driving.

Yes, it is easy to unscrew the antenna. I hope I can drive without it when I complete 2000 kms and it costs only Rs.250.

Antenna is stable in city traffic, but not yet hit any highway.

I hope it won't get stuck with 2-wheeler guys. I had plan to fix one more antenna on my right fender, but I dropped the plan after seeing your message.
Old 8th February 2016, 00:30   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

My BIL who is an automobile engineer + a Honda dealership branch head told me that the safe distance with a vehicle in the front is when you can see it's tyres fully. The moment you can't see the tyres, you are entering the red zone.
swiftnfurious is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 06:51   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
My BIL who is an automobile engineer + a Honda dealership branch head told me that the safe distance with a vehicle in the front is when you can see it's tyres fully. The moment you can't see the tyres, you are entering the red zone.
That is very true. This was what was drilled into my head when I was learning to drive and I practice it to this day! Also, many new cars with cameras and sensors in the front will actually warn you when the car is driven too close to the vehicle in front.

Some information about this:

http://www.drivingtests.co.nz/resour...-car-in-front/

http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/the-hazar...-safe-distance
Jeeper1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 06:59   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Something similar to what I had been advised by a tenured taxi driver once. "If you cannot see the number plate of the vehicle in front of you, then you are too close". I practice it, but number plates are not at a uniform height in all vehicles, so it works sometimes and does not most of the times. What you have written about is very helpful, will follow this from now on :-)
TheARUN is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 09:38   #115
Senior - BHPian

I don't see the bonnet of my Alto unless I lean forward, which I do only when parking as close as possible to the wall at my home. While driving I always know how far my car body extends in all directions, no need to look!
Old 10th February 2016, 00:12   #116
BHPian

My father learnt driving on the Omni, bare foot. Even to this day, 20 years later, he still cannot drive with his footwear on
I got a bicycle from my elder cousin when I was a little too small, and had balancing wheels for a lot of years. I only learnt to ride, when I got rid of them
I feel it's time, for the two wheeler rider, take your 250 're antenna with him
Old 26th June 2019, 11:40   #117
BHPian

Bumping an old thread.

I drive a Nexon and I can't see the bonnet, For ref I am 5'9. I had a Brio earlier and even in that i could never see the bonnet. I learned to drive these cars with judgement.

My question why are cars designed this way? Is there any specific purpose for stooping the bonnet. During test drives I remember I could see the bonnet of XUV300, Creta but not of Nexon or Ecosport.
Seeing the bonnet helps in tight situations, just wanted to know why are most of the cars designed in which we cannot see the bonnet
Old 26th June 2019, 12:53   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cars with bonnets visible for drivers

I have owned & driven both types of cars for quite some time. We have owned the Amby and Fiat 1100D where you could see the bonnet clearly. I was too young when we had the Amby but I used to drive the 1100D and clearly remembering the LHS headlamp curve visible while driving.
Then came in the newer generation cars like the 800, Alto and the Zen for us; we didn't own the 800 or the Alto but I've driven them extensively. Couldn't see the bonnet. But I must add that after getting used to them in a while, I never felt the need for it. In fact, I like it that way.
Then came home the Civic with the long nose...one peck to the rickshaw in the initial days and since then it has also never been a problem

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 15:00   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
My question why are cars designed this way? Is there any specific purpose for stooping the bonnet. During test drives I remember I could see the bonnet of XUV300, Creta but not of Nexon or Ecosport.
I can see the bonnet in my EcoSport and have adjusted the seat to that effect. I am 5.7. It actually helped me to get used to the significantly larger dimensions when I upgraded from the Maruti 800.

My guess is, stooping of the bonnet might be a design to aid aerodynamics.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 15:40   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Bumping an old thread.

I drive a Nexon and I can't see the bonnet, For ref I am 5'9. I had a Brio earlier and even in that i could never see the bonnet. I learned to drive these cars with judgement.

Seeing the bonnet helps in tight situations, just wanted to know why are most of the cars designed in which we cannot see the bonnet
Aerodynamics is indeed one factor for this. But a bigger factor is to free up more space by raising the back side of the bonnet compared to earlier flat bonnets. The whole cab forward tend was driven by space maximisation, though other benefits like better aerodynamics and crash safety also existed.
CoolFire is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks