Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 17:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai accent transform

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Thankfully they didn't facelift the Accent with "Darth Vader" face, like they did with the refreshed i10 and the new soon to be launched Verna RB. The Darth Vader face on the Accent would have been blasphemy
rightly said. I was expecting this. But it never happened. It should have happened. But I am literally surprised at such a thunderous response to this thread on chromified accent
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai accent transform-hyundaiaccent_2004_1600x1200_wallpaper_01.jpg  

Old 24th March 2011, 20:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
rightly said. I was expecting this. But it never happened. It should have happened. But I am literally surprised at such a thunderous response to this thread on chromified accent
Now this one looks like cross between Santro Xing's and Accent's Front.
i mean,what kind of people do they have at Hyundai here in india,who came with such an idea.
Old executive,looks way better with that Horizontal Slats grill.
Old 24th March 2011, 21:19   #48
BHPian

I used to admire this car, i love the looks of the accent Viva in red. This looks worse than a disaster.
Old 24th March 2011, 21:24   #49
Team-BHP Support

Oh brother! The front of the current Accent looks much smarter than what the new one will have.

Typical Santro style of having the hood sticking in between the head lamps. The headlamps look years older.

Any other modifications? Like on the rear or something?
Old 21st August 2012, 18:13   #50
BHPian

I am not sure if this is the right thread to ask for but I need some information on Accent. I am considering buying this car as new and owning it for another 5 to 6 years. I am aware that this model would be stopped any time soon but my guess is that there should not be any problem in maintaining this car for 6 years especially with a brand like Hyundai. I am expecting suggestion from some of you guys and Accent owners on reliability, maintenance, spare availability of this car...whether I can go for this or not.

Another fact is that, my budget is under 6 lacs and I am shifting from Palio 1.2 with expectation on better highway driving experience (performance & handling)...so I would also like to know if any other car in this price range would stand as a better choice than Accent.

Thanks.

Mod's Note: Please use the board's editor to type your message directly out here. Copy-pasting from other editors or even web pages causes the messages to get mangled.

Post edited.
Old 21st August 2012, 21:31   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy View Post
I am not sure if this is the right thread to ask for but I need some information on Accent. I am considering buying this car as new and owning it for another 5 to 6 years. I am aware that this model would be stopped any time soon but my guess is that there should not be any problem in maintaining this car for 6 years especially with a brand like Hyundai. I am expecting suggestion from some of you guys and Accent owners on reliability, maintenance, spare availability of this car...whether I can go for this or not.

Another fact is that, my budget is under 6 lacs and I am shifting from Palio 1.2 with expectation on better highway driving experience (performance & handling)...so I would also like to know if any other car in this price range would stand as a better choice than Accent.

Thanks.

Mod's Note: Please use the board's editor to type your message directly out here. Copy-pasting from other editors or even web pages causes the messages to get mangled.

Post edited.
As you told sticking with hyundai or maruti should not give us problem on procuring the spares. Getz owners can comment on this, as hyundai Getz is also a stopped model.

Meanwhile, why can't you try the new Dzire, as I see you get better VFM as the exterior/interior design, engine and all together the model itself is latest. Dzire should be more fuel efficient and must be better in handling and performance compared to accent. The only limitation might be that Dzire is not as spacious as Accent.
Old 21st August 2012, 21:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another fact is that, my budget is under 6 lacs and I am shifting from Palio 1.2 with expectation on better highway driving experience (performance & handling)
You can do a lot better than the Hyundai Accent. I am quite sure the Accent will not satisfy your needs in terms of handling. Performance, Yes as it is a lot more powerful than your Fiat and the light body makes it quite a peppy drive. That is it though. Once you build speed, this car gets quite scary to drive. The Accent is reliable and Hyundai will be able to support this car for the time you intend on keeping it.

The other option is the brilliant Ford Classic 1.6 petrol. A reliable car and easy on the pocket to maintain.

Though a bread box in shape, the Mahindra Verito petrol is a very good car. Acres of space and nice to drive. Not a handler is any sense of it but miles better than a Hyundai Accent.

Next will be the Toyota Etios petrol. If you live with its looks and cheap interiors, it is a superb drive.

The bridge car is the Honda Jazz. It is no hot hatch but has sedan levels of space and is a safe car.

None of the above cars are 6 lac on road. They will start at closer to 7 lac on road for the base variant. I still feel it is better to put down a lac more and get something better than the Hyundai. In my opinion, the Ford is a good deal. At approx 6.6lac on road in your city for the Lxi, it is superb value for money.

The best of the bunch is the Jazz. At 6.9 lac on road (carwale.com), all that safety kit as standard, it does not get any better.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 21st August 2012 at 22:05.
Old 21st August 2012, 23:11   #53
BHPian

Instead of Dzire, i would go for Swift itself as i am not very particular on Sedan..just that the car should give relatively more fun in driving comparing with my previous one. But the Swift petrol variant base cost is 5.5 lac which is what made me to think of Accent. With Accent, i get bigger engine and flat dimension which i like...with some 'executive' stuff and some goodies from dealer all for 6 lac.

I am not sure how i missed Fiesta Classic 1.6 petrol.. looks interesting but still 7 lac is outside my limit. I may sound odd in considering a 6 lac outdated sedan like Accent...but thats what used Palio does to people i guess. It came cheap (2 lac) and did wonderful job for 5 years with those highway trips ..and now leaving me clueless as the next car with similar or more fun driving is too far away.

Good thing is, i get to hear Accent is reliable and *** not an issue..thats giving some confidence. Lets if someone adds more.
Old 21st August 2012, 23:41   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
so I would also like to know if any other car in this price range would stand as a better choice than Accent.
Which car wouldn't be? Accent is one of the oldest choice in the segment now. There are a lot of modern options out there.

Also - I wouldn't pick a Hyundai for bettering the highway driving experience that a Palio used to offer! Leave that job to the Puntos and Polos of the world. Swift does it much better than an accent too, IMO. If a sedan is required - DZire/ Verito would be a much better choice.

What exactly are your main considerations/ requirements?
Old 22nd August 2012, 08:46   #55
BHPian

You cannot rule out a car just because it is old. Accent is a proven car. It is reliable smooth and comfortable. The drawbacks are a slightly underwhelming driving experience and lack of ABS/Airbags. If that is okay with you, take a test ride and if you like it buy it. Accent is not a bad car at all. You get the classic sedan looks, independent rear suspension and 0-100 in 13 odd seconds.

Also one thing that you must consider is that Accent is a depreciation disaster. So i suggest you buy pre-owned. You should get a great specimen at around 3.5 L in Bangalore.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:43   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Also one thing that you must consider is that Accent is a depreciation disaster. So i suggest you buy pre-owned. You should get a great specimen at around 3.5 L in Bangalore.
Spot on.
Besides, there are a fairly high number of Accent present in the used car segment. But in case you are open to used cars (which IMO you should be considering the current scenario for petrol cars), you have a lot many decent options to consider. The Fiesta Petrol being a good example.

I used to be smitten by the clean looks of Accent at one point, and found it peppy to drive as well. But the interiors are nothing to talk about, and a friend who owns one never gets FE better than 10-12 KMPL. For a 6L budget, there are a good number of decent and much more modern alternatives available. Also, you being an owner of Palio earlier I dont think you will like the high speed manners one bit. Would suggest taking a long test drive before putting your money on this one.

Last edited by avisidhu : 22nd August 2012 at 11:45.
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:02   #57
BHPian

Thanks again for all of your input till now. I am still happy as no one still questioned the reliability & *** of Accent for a 2012 buy!

I am not going for used car as touring reliability is my high priority and i dont have enough knowledge/support to investigate & buy any used car.
FE & resale value does not matter as the next 5 or 6 yrs is wht important to me. As i said earlier, I am just worried about reliability, *** and highway experience with a stretched budget of 6 lac.

When i decided to change car couple of weeks back, i was thinking of Swift as first choice before started eyeing on Accent. As i understand, Swift petrol has a good 1.2 ltr engine with better power to weight ratio out of most modern petrol hatchbacks. But to get a decent ride out of it, its 5.5 lac base + cost for better tyres & power windows..which is going to be the price of Accent. When cost factor is like that , with most of you saying Accent high speed manners not so good, i still could not believe how a flat dimensioned heavy sedan with 1.5 ltr engine feels bad on a highway than any of our 1.2 ltr tall dimensioned modern hatch backs?? :-) I guess its going to be difficult to test that part but let me check if the BLUE Hyundai agrees for a NICE road test drive.
Old 22nd August 2012, 17:13   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As i said earlier, I am just worried about reliability, *** and highway experience with a stretched budget of 6 lac.
For this reason alone (highlighted) you should remove the Accent from consideration. I had a pre-owned Accent 1.6 for 3 years from 2008 to 2011, and have used it extensively in all kinds of conditions - city office commute, weekend drives, expressways, ghat sections. It is a good no-nonsense car which is cheaper than the competition and offers a sedan at low cost. But, it is not a good highway vehicle. Some highway-related cons I can point out from my ownership experience of ~35,000km :

- bad handling, not at all confidence inspiring
- bouncy ride at highway speeds
- bad brakes. Not adequate bite for emergency stops.
- weak headlights
- Accent's power rating is always misleading. 100bhp in an accent feels like a 75bhp car. It will quickly run out of steam in ghat sections, or with full load
- Not enough low end grunt. Overtaking maneuvers are difficult, especially when the A/C is on.
- maintenance costs aren't exactly cheap like a Maruti.

Quote:
When i decided to change car couple of weeks back, i was thinking of Swift as first choice before started eyeing on Accent. As i understand, Swift petrol has a good 1.2 ltr engine with better power to weight ratio out of most modern petrol hatchbacks. But to get a decent ride out of it, its 5.5 lac base + cost for better tyres & power windows..which is going to be the price of Accent.
You have to choose what ticks your requirements the most. Never mind that you get a sedan for the price of a hatch. There is a reason the Accent is priced so low nowadays. It was good in a bygone era, not anymore. Hardly anyone picks it now when there are better alternatives available. Even taxi fleet operators go for Etios today. In my opinion, Accent is good to buy as a pre-owned car, use (abuse) for 3-4 years and get rid of. As a new car, there are better alternatives today. Why not look at a petrol Etios or a DZire?

What the other members say about the accent's resale is correct. With a new Accent, you will pay 6L today, and if you try to sell the car even a few years from now, I doubt you will get anything more than 1.5 - 2 lacs for it.

Quote:
When cost factor is like that , with most of you saying Accent high speed manners not so good, i still could not believe how a flat dimensioned heavy sedan with 1.5 ltr engine feels bad on a highway than any of our 1.2 ltr tall dimensioned modern hatch backs??
blame it on the softer suspension setup, dead steering, bouncy ride, puny 175/70R13 tyres and weak brakes.

Last edited by KarthikK : 22nd August 2012 at 17:28.
Old 22nd August 2012, 18:36   #59
BHPian

Karthik,
I think you just explained what i was looking for.
I think bouncy ride , dead steering, bad brake and dull light are good enough to screw-up a overnight drive.
Lets not anymore! Thanks all of you!
Old 22nd August 2012, 18:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
For this reason alone (highlighted) you should remove the Accent from consideration. I had a pre-owned Accent 1.6 for 3 years from 2008 to 2011, and have used it extensively in all kinds of conditions - city office commute, weekend drives, expressways, ghat sections, beaches, blah blah. In 3 years I covered ~35,000 km. It is a good no-nonsense car which is cheaper than the competition and offers a sedan at low cost. But, it is not a good highway vehicle. Some highway-related cons I can point out from my ownership experience :

- bad handling, not at all confidence inspiring
- bouncy ride at highway speeds
- bad brakes. Not adequate bite for emergency stops.
- weak headlights
- Accent's power rating is always misleading. 100bhp in an accent feels like a 75bhp car. It will quickly run out of steam in ghat sections, or will full load, etc.
- Not enough low end grunt. Overtaking maneuvers are difficult, especially when the A/C is on.
- maintenance costs aren't exactly cheap like a Maruti.

You have to choose what ticks your requirements the most. Never mind that you get a sedan for the price of a hatch. There is a reason the Accent is priced so low nowadays. It was good in a bygone era, not anymore. Hardly anyone picks it now when there are better alternatives available. Even taxi fleet operators go for Etios today. In my opinion, Accent is good to buy as a pre-owned car, use (abuse) for 3-4 years and get rid of. As a new car, there are better alternatives today. Why not look at a petrol Etios or a DZire?

What the other members say about the accent's resale is correct. With a new Accent, you will pay 6L today, and if you try to sell the car even a few years from now, I doubt you will get anything more than 1.5 - 2 lacs for it.

blame it on the softer suspension setup, dead steering, bouncy ride, puny 175/70R13 tyres and weak brakes.
I agree with many of your observations regarding the accent,especially regarding the handling,soft suspension,etc.
But it is one of the best built cars by HMIL. The interiors are built to last
Regarding Fuel efficiency, in the city with a/c you cannot expect more than 10kmpl. But in the highway I know of cars which even give 19kmpl without a/c.
also the cost of maintenance if serviced periodically is low compared to its peers like FORD,
also the headroom and shoulderroom it offers to the backseat passenger is remarkable
spares are bit pricier than maruti because the spares are not made available in retail

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks