Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2011, 19:18   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai accent transform

Its about time they phased out the Accent. Just like Ford did with the IKON. The current Indian market deserves a fresher products, and by still keeping the Accent, Hyundai's brand perception might take a beating.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Hyundai. We all are so obliged to you for doing to the Accent what you did to the Verna. You have transformed the looks of the Accent from decent to ugly (though not to the extent of Verna Transform).

How on earth does these redesigns get approved internally? And that too, they call it a facelift, while on real terms, it hardly is. I hope this doesn't affect the decent sales numbers that the Accent is doing regularly.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:27   #18
dot
Senior - BHPian

@arvi86, you have raised a good question. Who approves such hideous transformations? The current Verna is probably the most bizarrely designed car on sale today. Which is sad, considering the gem of engines that it carries.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Maybe they are trying to discourage people from buying the Accent and Verna with these "Transform" face-lifts, what with the new Verna around the corner?!!

On a side-note, look at the profit Accent should be making Hyundai - almost nil advertisements, depreciation should have taken care of the machinery, and they would have definitely earned their IP / R&D costs several times over. They are literally having a free meal!
Old 18th March 2011, 20:44   #20
BHPian

Wow! Old wine in older bottle.The grill is a bit ugly and older one was better.I saw an advertisement on newspaper with caption "2011 accent transform".Why dont they phase it out since the car's sales is not so remarkable?
Old 18th March 2011, 21:36   #21
Team-BHP Support

Sure makes me feel better about my 5-yr old ride

Jokes apart, it's still a decent car, considering what it offers at its price point. Sure doesn't have the bells and whistles of the new-age sedans, and I sort of like it that way. Simple car for simple tastes.
Old 18th March 2011, 22:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
On a side-note, look at the profit Accent should be making Hyundai - almost nil advertisements, depreciation should have taken care of the machinery, and they would have definitely earned their IP / R&D costs several times over. They are literally having a free meal!
+1
Absolutely agree with you. Ever since the launch of the Verna, people started predicting the decline of the Accent in India, but the car has proved otherwise. Every car should be earning big cash for Hyundai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
The current Verna is probably the most bizarrely designed car on sale today. Which is sad, considering the gem of engines that it carries.
Seriously, that gem of a diesel engine would still do much better if it is offered in the Accent instead of the Verna Transform. Heck, they should not have stopped the Accent CRDi, instead should have replaced that engine with this stonking engine from the Verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Why dont they phase it out since the car's sales is not so remarkable?
Not so remarkable? It is, considering that the car was lunched in 1999 and is still doing more than 1000 numbers consistently every month with no redesign at all, shows what a good design it was.
Old 18th March 2011, 22:19   #23
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Not so remarkable? It is, considering that the car was lunched in 1999 and is still doing more than 1000 numbers consistently every month with no redesign at all, shows what a good design it was.
Wasn't the original Accent ad about a one million or billion dollar car? Certainly did well for the company.
Old 18th March 2011, 22:47   #24
MCR
BHPian

Accent in white is still very popular. Just checkout the used car market for one and you will come to know. With accent still selling around 1500 per month Hyundai would definitely not take it out of production. Remember, all the investment made on dies, tools, equipments etc.. have already been recovered. So what Hyudai is doing now is just like what Maruti did with M800 all these years.
Old 18th March 2011, 22:51   #25
BHPian

why do i have a gut feeling that accent will come with a diesel engine when this verna is phased out and new one is introduced albeit at a higher price and accent is plonked with diesel engine to fill the gap
Old 18th March 2011, 22:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
why do i have a gut feeling that accent will come with a diesel engine when this verna is phased out and new one is introduced albeit at a higher price and accent is plonked with diesel engine to fill the gap
If it comes, it would surely wipe the Logan and Indigo (excluding Manza) out of the market for sure. But, I don't think it will ever happen.
Old 18th March 2011, 22:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I would have liked if Hyundai phased out both the Accent and the Verna and bring a nice modern saloon instead. The R&D dept. should come up with better ideas than to think about revamping old models. Hyundai is capable of that, but for some reason, they are not thinking beyond the i10, i20 and the santro to some extent. Cmon, there should be proper C and D segment challenger from Hyundai !!
Old 18th March 2011, 23:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

i think its the last of the facelift/chromoisation for the Accent before the production line shuts for it!

or they just plonk in a diesel if the petrol version goes slow on the sales.

our 1.6 accent it still doing its tour of duty after 6 years!
Old 18th March 2011, 23:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Personally, I would have liked if Hyundai phased out both the Accent and the Verna and bring a nice modern saloon instead. The R&D dept. should come up with better ideas than to think about revamping old models. Hyundai is capable of that, but for some reason, they are not thinking beyond the i10, i20 and the santro to some extent. Cmon, there should be proper C and D segment challenger from Hyundai !!
The Verna Transform is just a stop gap measure until the i30 arrives. The thing is, India is no longer as serious a market for Hyundai as it was before. That's why we're seeing a drop in design, quality and customer relations of late. India is a production base where they make cars for Europe.

The Accent is one of the old school vehicles, which is more expensive to make. It doesn't make sense to add to the production overhead by doing extensive redesign, especially when the volumes are nothing to write Seoul about!
Old 19th March 2011, 10:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

What a horrible way to facelift a car. Hyundai India certainly knows how to ruin its designs. The Accent, inspite of its age is still one of the more elegant looking cars on Indian roads and this facelift just spoils it. Yuck!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks