Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Has the Ritz lived up to its Glitz?
Yes 129 46.24%
No 129 46.24%
Can't Say 21 7.53%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 17:31   #61
BHPian

Re: Has the Ritz lived up to its Glitz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BheemBoy View Post
Well Said Noopster.

+ 10 to it. It's design has been debated to death. It's bad. It's awful.
The reason it's selling 6000 - 7000 odd is because of the artificial waiting time for Swift.
Ritz has been sellling consistently in 6k numbers for a long time. Your logic could have been true for a shorter duration say 3-4 months, but its hard to feel that 6000 people buy Ritz every month because they wanted Swift but got Ritz due to long waiting periods for Swift.

Quote:
Just because the road is full of Swift's, some people say they don't want to consider it. Then it should be the same with I10 also. I haven't seen anyone tell that.
Just go through various threads in the site. You will find people having n number of opinions for i10 as well as any other car.
Old 24th March 2011, 17:36   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Well Said Noopster.

The reason it's selling 6000 - 7000 odd is because of the artificial waiting time for Swift.
You mean to say that month on month, 6000 people buy Ritz because they were put-off by waiting periods for Swift. Your logic would have been true for smaller time frame, say 3-4 months but Ritz is consistently in 6k range for a long time now.
Old 24th March 2011, 18:26   #63
BHPian

Great views and comments so far. Whether the Ritz has lived up to the glitz or not (voting on this is still as close as before), I'm really glad that this debate has been professional, courteous and enlightening, without degenerating into verbal clashes and personal attacks.

Someone had mentioned earlier that the Ritz has been the fastest to cross the 50,000 mark. I get the feeling that this record may have been broken by the Figo, as it has consistently witnessed 6000-7000 sales every month.
Old 24th March 2011, 21:49   #64
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Voted No. When I took my family to see this car, i got a very warm welcome at the dealership. Since it is a tall boy I (6'2 tall) was very comfortable getting in and out from the driver seat. When my wife and kids sat at the back, they also felt OK.
when we came around the car, my daughter started laughing at the rear shape and my wife also joined. I immediately thought that I cannot win them and buy this much underrated car.
Old 24th March 2011, 23:08   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
When we came around the car, my daughter started laughing at the rear shape and my wife also joined. I immediately thought that I cannot win them and buy this much underrated car.
The rear shape of the Ritz seems to be one of the most popular reasons why the Ritz is not attracting customers. I can only imagine to response to the Ritz, had it sported a different rear design. Has the boomerang design has boomeranged for Maruti? Many would still think otherwise.

Talking about the rear section, I wonder why Maruti seems to be giving less emphasis on a good boot space on its recent models. The A-Star, new Wagon-R and the Ritz all have poor useable boot space. The older Wagon-R models had a great boot space and it was useable in every sense of the term.

I believe that a good useable boot space is still a key factor for a large number of customers in India. I have compared the boot space of the Ritz (236 litres) and the I10 (225 litres). While the Ritz has 11-odd litres extra, the I10 has a more useable boot space as it is box-shaped (unlike the odd boot shape of the Ritz). Moreover, the I10 boot has virtually no wheel wells protruding in the boot area, unlike the huge boot of the Figo. Thankfully, the Estilo and the Alto still retain their original boot space.

Last edited by misquitas : 24th March 2011 at 23:11.
Old 25th March 2011, 11:34   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is something you either love or hate! I like it better than Swift.

BTW the swift reminds me of a squatting toad, especially when viewed from the rear!
Gansan: Same with me here. When it was first introduced one of my uncle said he wanted to "Shift" to "Swift" by 2007 and I said the very same thing.

I was just comparing car for car and by normal design standards Swift is / in tune on shape with other cars and better than Ritz.

It just came our differently.
Old 25th March 2011, 11:45   #67
Senior - BHPian

IMO Ritz has been quite successful in retaining customers of premium hatch with Maruti Suzuki. Had Ritz not been there all those who have opted for the same, would have opted for competitors' offerings. I have assume that, considering the small price difference of Ritz with Swift, the customer have opted for Ritz because they did not wanted to buy the Swift. This implies that Product Differentiation has worked in favour of MS rather than the competitors. Anyhow, 5-7k numbers on a monthly basis are not bad, especially when for few others the most successful product barely manages these numbers.
Old 25th March 2011, 12:29   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post
In my opinion...Maruti should be smiling wickedly
I loved the one about Bangy becoming a " Swift city" and the Software guys buying it in droves. We had lunch room chat with the "boring" Mech and Electrical enginners at office and everyone from GM downwards commented they love Maruti but wont buy a Swift/Ritz/Dzire since the build quality is a suspect. Funny how a bunch of ppl who get driven around in Innovas and Citys n Ikons( only 3 cars are/ were considered by our company) actually comment on something purely based on hearsay,perception and our now-neglected engineering gyaan...
But for the ones who love to travel,dont want to be bogged down by Fiat/Ford cost of *** and parts uncertainity at remote locations, Swifty remains the best choice.
my 2 cents.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please avoid quoting entire large posts. It inconveniences our small-screen and mobile readers. Thanks.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 25th March 2011 at 12:59. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large posts. Thanks.
Old 25th March 2011, 13:15   #69
Senior - BHPian

Wasn't the Ritz Maruti's answer to the upcoming threat called as I20? I am not counting I10 as Swift fights with it. If we compare the I20 & Ritz, they are more or less the same (I20 winning by some 1500 units a month!)
Old 25th March 2011, 13:35   #70
BHPian

Guys I am the proud owner of a Ritz (my 4th car after-Ambi 1986, Van 1995 and Wagon R 2005) and i did not let the sales figure fox me. I exchanged my Wagon R on 29 Jan 11 drove home in a brand new Ritz the same day-fisrt service on 17 Feb and on the 19 Feb of to Bhuj, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Daman and Pune back to Bangalore-5750 kms of blissful driving.

She drives like a dream, enough boot, tremendous power (left a merc and an Emotion standing on the Western Ghats), sprightly pick up, very manly horn, love the racy looks (I am 57+) and boy not a bone in my body ached due to fatigue. Now this is what you call tried and tested

Go for a Ritz-you will never regret it!!

Colonel Jude Mayne
Judemayne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2011, 17:32   #71
BHPian

She drives like a dream, enough boot, tremendous power (left a merc and an Emotion standing on the Western Ghats), sprightly pick up, very manly horn, love the racy looks (I am 57+) and boy not a bone in my body ached due to fatigue.

Now thats what I would call stright from horses mouth...I am sure Col. is very good driver...many of us are still not very confident of tall boys...I am quite jittery about taking fast corners on my dad`s Waggy...good to know that Ritz handles ghats very well
Old 25th March 2011, 20:57   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Guys I am the proud owner of a Ritz (my 4th car after-Ambi 1986, Van 1995 and Wagon R 2005) and i did not let the sales figure fox me. I exchanged my Wagon R on 29 Jan 11 drove home in a brand new Ritz the same day-fisrt service on 17 Feb and on the 19 Feb of to Bhuj, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Daman and Pune back to Bangalore-5750 kms of blissful driving.

She drives like a dream, enough boot, tremendous power (left a merc and an Emotion standing on the Western Ghats), sprightly pick up, very manly horn, love the racy looks (I am 57+) and boy not a bone in my body ached due to fatigue. Now this is what you call tried and tested

Colonel Jude Mayne
Colonel Jude Mayne, just curious to know, is your Ritz Petrol or Diesel?
Old 25th March 2011, 22:07   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Wasn't the Ritz Maruti's answer to the upcoming threat called as I20? I am not counting I10 as Swift fights with it. If we compare the I20 & Ritz, they are more or less the same (I20 winning by some 1500 units a month!)
No, I don't think that the Ritz competes with the I10. The Swift and the Ritz are priced similar, while the similar variants of the I20 are priced far higher. In my opinion, Hyundai doesn't have hatches competing with each other. The Santro, I10 and I20 fall in different segments. Maruti, however, has many cars overlapping with each other (Estilo/Wagon R, Swift/Ritz, etc). So, while the Maruti-fan has a greater choice of vehicles, the Hyundai-fan has a easier choice of vehicles.
Old 26th March 2011, 13:36   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahead View Post
She drives like a dream, enough boot, tremendous power (left a merc and an Emotion standing on the Western Ghats), sprightly pick up, very manly horn, love the racy looks (I am 57+) and boy not a bone in my body ached due to fatigue.

Now thats what I would call stright from horses mouth...I am sure Col. is very good driver...many of us are still not very confident of tall boys...I am quite jittery about taking fast corners on my dad`s Waggy...good to know that Ritz handles ghats very well

Boy I have both vehicles at home. The waggy and the ritz vdi. The handling of the waggy does not even come close to the Ritz. You corner the ritz with ease.
Old 26th March 2011, 23:07   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post

Colonel Jude Mayne
+1 to that Col. I too bought a Ritz around the same time and am really liking it. I am 6'2" tall and this car suited me best. Comfortable drive, not much body roll and many other things which I really liked. I too voted "YES".

Most Viewed