Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Purchase an "Easy to Use" Car or Employ a Driver?
I'd purchase an easy to drive car. No one but me drives my car. 35 26.72%
I'd employ a driver in the city. No more hassles. 17 12.98%
I'd do neither. I m ok driving my car in everyday traffic. 79 60.31%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:20   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Easier car to drive or Employ a Driver?

Driving is a stress buster? Yes, but commuting? (Please think hard before answering, clutching, de clutching, braking hard, swearing)

I have slowly mastered the art in a Motorcycle,(still freaks me out when a moron in a SUV with heavy tints and folded mirrors can't see me) but I know it will take ages in a Car and one day it might not happen. The traffic isn't getting thinner in days to come, is it?

I live at a small place and the traffic sometimes gets on my nerve, but it still is better compared to other neighboring towns & cities.

There is an article by Shumi from OD about the art of commuting on a Motorcycle, posting a link

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...R4ZJ8&sadssc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devnath
But for our daily grind in the city, a motorcycle, due to our dusty roads, weather conditions and most of all, the utter lack of respect for other road users, in my opinion, are not as comfortable as sitting in a car.
Agree its smelly and sweaty, but then everything has its cons.

Either you be prepared to sweat for 15 mins or be prepared to sit in a climate controlled environment, err, doing almost nothing.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd March 2011 at 14:27.
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

Vote for option#1. Easy (and fun) to drive car and NO one else drives my car. If need arises, I hire a driver along with a car too. So, my baby is just mine, ever.
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Voted for option 3 as i love to drive even in traffic. While driving on Indian roads there is so much to learn and get amused, looking at all the different drivers and their driving styles. This is especially true while in Traffic.

But this option is selected as of now. If the same poll is conducted maybe 5 years down the line my choice might change.
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:23   #34
Senior - BHPian

With the advent of BPO and other call taxis. Getting a driver is the most difficult task now. Not sure about other places but its true in Chennai.

And according to me, the question you asked is more or less disjoint.

Ones chances of getting a driver the more grander the car is for example, An endevour will get a driver easily. But if your vehicle is a M800 its very unlikely that you will get a driver.
You see even drivers have a sense of job satisfaction which needs to be fulfilled.
Anyway opted for option 1.
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:32   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted option a. I am not relaxed with someone else driving, unless the guy's driving style matches mine in which case I am fine! Of course that's going to be quite an ask and luckily have not had a chance to find out yet. Will drive myself as long as I possibly can. When old age brings on complications like poor eyesight, weak reflexes etc. will think of getting a driver.
But at the same time I love to be comfortable and relaxed when driving. Hence am a big AT fan especially for city driving and daily commuting. Have already put my money where my mouth is, so no suprises why I voted the way I did!
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Depends. For work I would prefer a driver. For social engagements a driver is necessary, to take care of parking and driving at night. As such driving in Delhi during office hours is a nightmare and finding a parking place a pain.

For fun and relaxation self drive any day. All my holidays are self driven.
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:31   #37
BHPian

For regular commute in a city and domestic chores, I would go with a driver. Any drive which does not fall in these categories, I would like to be behind the wheels.

But the question is: Forget good drivers, where do you find even an average chap when you really need one??
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:37   #38
BHPian

Employ a driver Anyday... helps me be more productive during the day and also helps me avoid unncessary road rage.

Only problem is that i would like to get my wife a driver too. However, you dont have any female drivers around
Old 23rd March 2011, 17:57   #39
Max
BHPian

After driving for 8 years in Mumbai traffic, I would love to have driver any day. However, after buying home near my office I really don't drive much hence don't feel any need. I would LOVE to have driver for following reasons:

1) Reduces tons of stress due to driving, specially in night when tons of light from other vehicles head light comes in your face.
2) You can do your work or sleep or whatever while driver is driving the car.
3) No pain in the back.
4) Driver will take care of parking, usual car maintenance etc.

Frankly, due to mumbai traffic now I hate driving in mumbai. Its a mess and waste of time and energy. However, I would love to drive myself in city like pujim in goa. It was fun.
Old 23rd March 2011, 18:15   #40
BHPian

I voted option 3.

I love driving, irrespective of traffic. But yes, once in a way I would love to be driven around. What are friends for ?

Parik
Old 23rd March 2011, 18:40   #41
BHPian

I opted for the driver option!!it works out much better!!even though i may have to pay the driver, i feel i can be much more efficient in my work.currently i reach my work-place all irritated and bugged because of the prevailing chaotic traffic situations!!

Personally i feel that the poll will be a bit biased as the elderly among us would prefer a driver whereas younger folk would not mind driving by themselves!!
Old 25th March 2011, 10:45   #42
BHPian

Buy yourself an automatic (or 2 like me) and enjoy driving in any city, any traffic. Rid yourself the need of having to employ a driver. A small automatic like an i10 for the city and a Scorpio Automatic for the highway.

In fact, if each of us started driving our own vehicles, the traffic would be a lot less chaotic. In my view, it is driver who has no value for the vehicle and no respect for others on the road that makes driving in our cities such a nuisance.
Old 25th March 2011, 17:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

I have been driving in Bangalore peak hour traffic for the past two years and I would still stick to self drving any day in spite of the heavy traffic. The car which you drive does matter. Indica diesel { the older one-V2 and not the vista} is one car that I cant think of driving for 40-50kms every day in peak hour traffic.
And I dont think automatics are feasible in India as of now. There are just too less of these automatics in the sub 10 lakh category. May be in the future I might opt for an automatic if it is reasonably priced and not if they are being sold at a 70-80k premium.
For now Im satisfied with my Dzire DDIS which is a breeze in the city and add to that an excellent economy of 17KPL!
Old 25th March 2011, 18:34   #44
Team-BHP Support

The problem is : no one in my family is really comfortable letting someone else drive the car, let alone a driver. So, despite long work hours and long traffic jams, we still drive all our cars by ourselves.

We are too possessive about them, so if we employ a driver, we'd be more worried about how he's driving.

Also, if something does go wrong, it is easier to admit that you made a mistake. It is quite painful to digest that someone else went wrong and in the process the car was damaged. Ultimately, it is your car.
Old 25th March 2011, 19:41   #45
BHPian

Option C - Love to drive, regardless of type of drive (commute/weekend trip). That said, the economics of having a driver is worth mentioning. Other than the obvious salary to be paid out, one would tend to maximize their utlization.

1. Drop to work and drive back home.
2. Hang around for any ad hoc work
3. Spouse will create shopping list to ensure driver can be used.
4. Head back to work for pick up.

All this adding to additional monthly fuel expenses!!

At home, in the event we have people to be ferried multiple places, we get a day driver. Works out convenient. We also use our neighbours driver for a couple of hours at times, if it works out without issues for all involved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks