Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2012, 12:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

Wonder where they will be able to fit the GOLF in the market. Going by the JETTA pricing, the GOLF should be 12,00,000 to buy, and at that price point there are so many options
Old 26th August 2012, 19:42   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN
Wonder where they will be able to fit the GOLF in the market. Going by the JETTA pricing, the GOLF should be 12,00,000 to buy, and at that price point there are so many options
IMO there aren't any options at that price, I mean hatchback options. If someone want an upmarket small car, there is nothing available beyond the i20 or the polo. The next stop is the mini and the price gap is wide, 18 lakhs (8 lakhs top end to 26 lakhs).

I would like to see cars like the golf. The market may not be bigger than 5000 units a year.
Old 26th August 2012, 19:57   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316kmph

IMO there aren't any options at that price, I mean hatchback options. If someone want an upmarket small car, there is nothing available beyond the i20 or the polo. The next stop is the mini and the price gap is wide, 18 lakhs (8 lakhs top end to 26 lakhs).

I would like to see cars like the golf. The market may not be bigger than 5000 units a year.
I don't see more than 500 a year - Size matters in the Indian market. Ask the makers of Yeti
Old 27th August 2012, 11:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is the VW Golf likely to be launched in India?

I do not think the Golf will be launched in India, because of the following factors:

1. At 167.5 inches length (refer : First Details of New Volkswagen Golf Revealed; GTi Planned for Paris - MSN Autos) it will never be eligible for lower excise benefits.

2. It weighs around 1100 kgs for the 1.4L-138 bhp-4 cylinder turbo petrol, which implies any small naturally aspirated petrol will not be suitable & the use of Turbocharger will only increase cost. And the benefit of smaller engine re the lower excise duty are applicable only if the length is also under 4 meters.

3. Use of smaller turbo-diesel engine won't help the cost again & a bigger turbo won't help the day-to-day performance with initial turbo lag.

4. There is extensive use of Aluminium & other costly metals/ alloys to shave the weight, but these add to the cost.

IMO these factors are sufficient to drive the cost way beyond the perceived VFM for a hatch, & be profitable to VW in long run. I bet VW will never be able to sell it under Rs.10 Lacs (ex-showroom) to earn decent profits.

... & it ain't ant Classic/ Retro to entice car lovers to buy the car.

It is better for VW to sell the Jetta instead, & concentrate on their efforts to win a bigger pie of the premium car segment, rather than have few under-performers in the portfolio.
Old 27th August 2012, 14:04   #50
BANNED

Basically the Indian market is too heavily biased away from Hatchbacks. Thus with the Jetta already here I do not see VW launching the Golf. But then when Swift opened the Premium Hatch segment there were many willing to write it off, who knows!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 23:14   #51
BHPian

Why do you think the Golf needs an excise benefit. For all that loss of power, size / space (especially trunk) all you get us a mere 8 - 10% tax benefit.

Thinking about it, a lot of people spend a good chunk of that money on special numbers, some car accessories etc. i would rather pay that up for a reasonably powerful, spacious car.

I think VW should target the Golf at people who are looking for a second or a third car (mainly used for commuting convenience) and whose 1st car is upwards of 30 lakhs. By the number of BMWs, Audis and Mercedes I see on the road that number would well beyond a few dozen thousands across India (even after factoring folks who own multiple luxury cars.)

If at all there is a problem, it is the presence of the Jetta. Using different positions (sporty vs luxurious), equipment and trims would address the problem.

Last edited by 316kmph : 27th August 2012 at 23:19.
316kmph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 12:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316kmph View Post
Why do you think the Golf needs an excise benefit. For all that loss of power, size / space (especially trunk) all you get us a mere 8 - 10% tax benefit.

Thinking about it, a lot of people spend a good chunk of that money on special numbers, some car accessories etc. i would rather pay that up for a reasonably powerful, spacious car.

I think VW should target the Golf at people who are looking for a second or a third car (mainly used for commuting convenience) and whose 1st car is upwards of 30 lakhs. By the number of BMWs, Audis and Mercedes I see on the road that number would well beyond a few dozen thousands across India (even after factoring folks who own multiple luxury cars.)

If at all there is a problem, it is the presence of the Jetta. Using different positions (sporty vs luxurious), equipment and trims would address the problem.
I agree completely. One can't use the standard hatchback logic to explain the rationale for the Golf. It will be a niche product for those who understand the pedigree, quality, sportiness and handling characteristics of the car.
Old 14th December 2012, 16:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

BMW 1 Series
Merc B Class
Audi A1

I am sure that Golf GTI with a 2.0L Tdi engine will be a run away success in India, if OTR for top end is below 15L...

I am eagerly looking fot it's launch...
Old 18th June 2013, 23:27   #54
BHPian

A very strange thing happened today.
I was watching the telly and was tuned into AXN. During the advert break there was an ad for a VW car. It looked like an ad for the Passat.
But it wasn't.
It was an ad for the Golf.
Is this something that AXN does owing to the fact that the channel is broadcasted to other countries as well? Or is VW readying the Golf to compete with the likes of the BMW 1 and Merc A-class.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 00:02   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89
A very strange thing happened today.
I was watching the telly and was tuned into AXN. During the advert break there was an ad for a VW car. It looked like an ad for the Passat.
But it wasn't.
It was an ad for the Golf.
Is this something that AXN does owing to the fact that the channel is broadcasted to other countries as well? Or is VW readying the Golf to compete with the likes of the BMW 1 and Merc A-class.
It's because the channel is broadcasted to other SE Asian Countries as well.
mohandasnikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 00:07   #56
BHPian

I had also seen the same ad some time back but its just supposed to be for branding purposes here and relevant to other SE countries. With the cost of Polo GT TSi close to 9L OTR, highly doubt if the Golf would ever get launched. However seeing the supposedly good response to the GT TSi, VW should consider getting the Golf.
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 20:45   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Autocar India reveals that VW is planning Golf and Scirocco for India.

Is the VW Golf likely to be launched in India?-bqz_pcdcyaaqvf1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 21:17   #58
BHPian

I'd take such news with a pinch of salt. The Golf and Scirocco wouldn't fit in the market no matter however you look at it. As a niche offering/halo product maybe, but viability of cars like those for production (even CKD), I don't think so. I get judgy stares when I say I spent Rs. 9.xx lakhs on a Polo. Everyone just has one thing to say .. Why didn't you get the new Honda City for that much.

The only reason the A-Class is doing considerbly well is all because of that badge. So will the A3. Rs.20.xx Lakh ex-showroom for a VW hatchback, I have my doubts.

Make no mistake! I absolutely love the Golf and the Mk7 is probably the best car there is for its right mix of being an enthusiasts delight at the same time very practical on everyday basis. I'd actually consider replacing my Cruze with a Golf GTI but that would only be people like us enthusiasts who would even consider going to hatchback when its time to go to an entry German luxury saloon.

Us lot are a handful for a car company to especially cater for considering the Indian market dynamic. Still lets see what happens. If this does happen, us petrolheads can rejoice!
Old 23rd June 2014, 21:51   #59
BHPian

VW just revised down their market predictions for India. If they failed to launch the Up! in India, we can simply forget about Golf any model coming to India in foreseeable future.

Golf and Sirocco are enthusiast cars. Frankly we can expect Alfa Romeo in India before a Sirocco comes here :(
Old 23rd June 2014, 23:56   #60
Team-BHP Support

My take: As Toyota conceded, so will VW. Basically they just can't play the volume game against the likes of Hyundai/Maruti. It just cant be a couple of products and they hope to hit bulls eye in the mass market.

They will slowly continue on to the higher segments and keep it at that. I hope to see the launching a couple of premium products in a span of 2-4 years and the keep the pipe rolling.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd June 2014 at 23:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks