Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 15:32   #31
BANNED

Re: 25% additional tax on diesel vehicles in Delhi

Is this a new version of the Rs.80,000 tax proposed on diesel vehicles by (I forget which) committee.
Old 23rd March 2011, 15:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: 25% additional tax on vehicles in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Fellow BHPians any clue on the exact increase in prices for cars between 6-10 L ?
Is this what you are looking for?
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 673
Size:  149.9 KB
Source - TOI
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Is this a new version of the Rs.80,000 tax proposed on diesel vehicles by (I forget which) committee.
sgiitk,

I guess you are referring to the Kirit Parikh committee who proposed that 80k tax on Pvt Diesel Cars. Btw, He is also from IIT Kharagpur
Old 23rd March 2011, 18:24   #34
BHPian

I would like to see this tax being imposed all over the country than at single place which become tokenism
Old 23rd March 2011, 18:28   #35
BHPian

Is India One country? For one product why variety of layers of Taxes?
Diesel must be taxed uniformly across the country. Greater reason of Urban Pollution is due to adultration of fuel with PDS kerosine.

Could not understand Why in Our India, car buyers must pay an additional upto 16% of vehicle cost as road tax seperately after paying excise duty + sales tax? Is it not that these taxes are bound for development of roads?

Best way is to sell Diesel and petrol through seperate coloured(for eg Red colour for private car fuels) prepaid cards-coupons(1L, 2L,5L, 10L,20L,30L,50L) for all private car fuel buyers and levy a special tax on these diesel fuel prepaid coupon-cards seperatly.

For Lorry / public transportation and agriculture use of diesels sell seperate coloured for Eg: Yellow for Lorry/Public transport and Green for Agri prepaid fuel cards which must be verified with ID cards.

For eg: By this fuel coupon colour seperation a mercedes, Marutis, Tata, SUVs for their diesel / petrol filling can not fill fuel with yellow or green colour prepaid fuel coupon-cards.

Like the mobile telephone recharge it Red colour prepaid fuel coupon-card can be sold widely for private car fuel filling.

Why to pay a illegal/immoral road tax to an un-performing govt. like us and other array of surcharges while registering a personal diesel vehicle which may not run more kms per year and always has a probability of becoming useless due to accidents?

Last edited by harimakesh : 23rd March 2011 at 18:35.
Old 23rd March 2011, 18:48   #36
BANNED

This is utter BS. If a car is a diesel car then it does not mean that it will pollute the environment more than a petrol car. Government has no right to classify all the diesel cars to the same extent.

For eg: The Fiesta Econetic 1.6 TDCi in the UK is made completely tax-free over there as it produces CO2 which is the lowest amongst all the diesel cars there, somewhere in the range of what the toyota prius does. The petrol version on the other hand is NOT tax free.

So classification should be done on a model to model basis and not on a general basis. If anybody here knows Shiela Dixit then please talk some sense into here. :LOL

Otherwise what we will see in the future are petrol cars that produce a ton of CO2 and still do not get taxed.

By the way, all the taxes and duties should be uniformed throughout the nation including registration costs etc.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 23rd March 2011 at 18:54.
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@ACM: Now that the CWG is over maybe they need something else to scam on. I am sure this will not help reduce the subsidies to the most subsidized place in India one tiny bit.
Political leanings play a bigg role in forming opinions, but a restraint shown while voicing them in an apolitical forum will go a long way in keeping the forum strife-free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
sgiitk,

I guess you are referring to the Kirit Parikh committee who proposed that 80k tax on Pvt Diesel Cars. Btw, He is also from IIT Kharagpur
Coming back to the tax, I'd have liked it better if the Parikh committee report had been implemented. That would prevent proliferation of diesel cars on our roads. And the government would earn some real money in taxes.

Last edited by civic-sense : 23rd March 2011 at 20:06.
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Political leanings play a bigg role in forming opinions, but a restraint shown while voicing them in an apolitical forum will go a long way in keeping the forum strife-free.

Coming back to the tax, I'd have liked it better if the Parikh committee report had been implemented. That would prevent proliferation of diesel cars on our roads. And the government would earn some real money in taxes.
Why only diesel cars? Why not all cars? As Mustang said, it's not that only diesel cars pollute. Anyway, the diesel cars cost more over petrol cars and there by get more in taxes to the govt. I don't see any rationale behind such arbitrary increases.

Last edited by sbkumar : 23rd March 2011 at 20:59.
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:05   #39
BHPian

I may be wrong but this move may be done to encourage to use the EV. The amount of money FM has given subsidy to the EV battery they just wanna get back in other way.
The price of crude oil is rocketing day by day. So EV may be better option
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:08   #40
BHPian

After reading this whole thread some things make sense some do not. Well all i feel its just a new way to push CNG as an alternative fuel. Diesel only increases SPM and not CO or CO2 like petrol. CNG does not give you as much power, has cold start issues and i have seen autos going bad in rains as ignition temp is really high. Also remember less stations for CNG means long queues.

Most of the people are right this money is not gonna do any improvement, and for a car i do not see hike affecting anything. The problems i see Govt. not increasing subsidy on hybrids and providing options for hybrids like european nations, we have major power crisis so electric cars are no option.

People who crib about Bangalore its the same thing, govt is doing nothing to improve infra rather imposed tax to curb buying for cars (reason we see more 2 - wheelers there).

All i have felt in this regime all the person suffering is salaried class whether its central govt tax or State. This move does not affect people who can actually afford huge SUV like Fortuner etc (most politicians).

If govt actually wants to reduce car sales or go away with american mentality they need to control and improve public transport majorly. State of public transport in Delhi is pathetic considering population and weather adds to it. In 42 degree celsius i would rather sit in an AC car than in an Auto...
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:15   #41
BANNED

What the government should do is:

1. Model by model or variant by variant classification of vehicles and then decide on taxes which should be uniform throughout the nation.

2. Make vehicles that run on alternative sources completely tax free.

3. Make hybrids tax free and reduce import duties on them.

4. They should realize that at present CO/CO2 emissions are more dangerous and harmful than SPM.

5. Check the emission levels of the vehicles already on the road and ban older engine trucks, Basically start the MOT kind of thing that is present in the UK (its a good way to make money for the government also as the no. of offenders is in Lacs)

The BS that the government is doing is that:

1. Increasing taxes on all vehicles
2. Increasing taxes on specific types of vehicles w/o taking into account their emission levels.
3. No check on old trucks and vehicles, autos, tempos etc. which release a ton of pollutants over a km.
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

I don't think that increasing tax rates on diesel vehicles will stop people from buying diesel cars. I mean a person spending 5-15 Lacs on a diesel car won’t bother much on amounts like 4K or 15K likewise.

BTW - Is this true (with proof) that diesel cars pollute more than the petrol/CNG/LPG cars?
Old 23rd March 2011, 21:43   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
BTW - Is this true (with proof) that diesel cars pollute more than the petrol/CNG/LPG cars?
Older diesel engines - Yes
Newer diesel engines - Mostly NO, read my post above this one, search for the word. "econetic" on this page and read it.

Diesels mainly release more particulate matter which is responsible for coughing, sneezing and a few respiratory diseases but it is better than petrol to save the environment as a whole. Also causes less global warming. I am talking about newer diesel engines though.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 23rd March 2011 at 21:47.
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
If anybody here knows Shiela Dixit then please talk some sense into here. :LOL
I think she made this decision just by seeing the smoke out of exhaust of diesel cars.

On a serious note, you have stated very good points in post # 41, completely agreed.
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:33   #45
BHPian

I have my doubts about the validity of such a move. It may be even upturned if somebody goes to court. AFAIK, the motor Vehicle Act contains no provision for tax discrimination based on fuel used. And if scientifically debated, it would be a close call for the Delhi Government to prove that Diesel cars pollute more and hence the 'public interest' angle might not stick.

I am by no way making a politically committed statement, but such moves make me wonder what these people have in their heads instead of their brains. Making enemies of almost everyone over some foolish issue, this and that. How a Government alienates its voters from itself!

To solve the subsidized Diesel issue, it would probably take an amendment of the Central Act to introduce fuel discrimination. Why cannot the Centre amend the law and introduce discriminatory tax based on fuel consumption or emission? Or a punitive toll on vehicles entering congestion zones with only one or two passengers? Or provide an enhanced right of way for public transport?

Most Viewed