Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2011, 15:40   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

join the club my friend. there are lots of us lurking around on the sidelines awaiting this vehicle with bated breath. cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igp_79 View Post
I am licking my lips thinking of the Dacia Duster. Last month's overdrive and this month's autocar are carrying an article. Expected next year and costing between 7-10 lakhs. Looks really butch and kind of affordable too.If the reviews are accurate( in a nutshell, the vehicle is more than capable, way better than the scorpio, but not anything earth shattering), i will put my money on that SUV
yes sir. you're bang on. After sales service network will be the keynote for success for Renault. they had better ramp up to meet this if the Duster is to succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So for this year the only ones to look out for :

- Korando
- Duster
- Kuga/Eco-Sport (The one Ford chooses to bring it on)

All of the them have the potential to be a game-changer. Esp Ford and Korando. Because they also have the backing of their service networks, as against Renault.

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th March 2011 at 14:12. Reason: Back to Back posts :)
Old 25th March 2011, 17:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: My little list of SUV's I would like to see in India asap!!!

Quote:
join the club my friend. there are lots of us lurking around on the sidelines awaiting this vehicle with bated breath. cheers!
I am in too, my friend! Like you, I too believe that there are no 'genuine' SUVs on Indian roads which are affordable. It is an absolutely HUUUUUUGE potential market. Duster, even with its average look, can rock everybody's boat@7-10 lacs.

The only ones we have is Safari and Scorpio, which are good when you consider price per part, but have too many flaws to be considered international standard!

PS: I know that you own a Scorpio
Old 26th March 2011, 02:43   #48
BHPian

What about the VW Amarok? It may be a bit over 20 lakhs, but the non-4WD variant may be around the 20 lakh mark.

Its not quite a SUV..but it is definitely a 'utility vehicle'!

And the Asia-Pacific/Australia version of the Ford Escape..

Old 26th March 2011, 11:58   #49
BHPian

Interesting list. Sadly, almost none of them will ever fit your criteria of < 20 lacs and several of them are too impractical for Indian cities because they're too large

Still, I believe there's room for mini Suvs like the VW Tiguan, the Mini Countryman in the "cheaper than BMW X1" segment, but that's about it.

If you disregard size , however, anything becomes possible.
Old 28th March 2011, 16:23   #50
BANNED

Yes I agree. I was very happy with the Scorpio when I bought it. It has served me and is serving me well - I wont grumble about that. But I am the first to state that it is not the be all and end all of SUV's. As of now it comes closest to what I am looking for in an SUV, but there is a great deal of scope for improvement - no doubt about it!

But we do need more offerings in this particular SUV segment with a price of 7-13 lacs, to at least give consumers some sort of choice. This particular segment with its limited choices reminds me of the bad old days when it was "either a Fiat OR an Ambassador" - there were no other choices available!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
The only ones we have is Safari and Scorpio, which are good when you consider price per part, but have too many flaws to be considered international standard!

PS: I know that you own a Scorpio
Old 29th March 2011, 00:37   #51
BHPian

I honestly don't see a SUV in India below 10 lakhs however 'mini', the current pricing of SUVs in the market like homegrown Scorpio, Safari at the lower end at 9-14 lakhs and Outlander, CRV, Nissan at 22-28 lakhs make it needless.

The success of the Fortuner at 20 plus will make any manufacturer think twice, why price below 10 lakhs when he can get away with 12 plus? Even the Duster will likely be 12-15 lakhs.

Only if Mahindra reduce the price of the Scorpio and price the w201 aggressively will we begin to see some movement. Or else a decent SUV in India is unlikely to be below 14 lakhs.

Given most of the Japanese SUVs are $25k in most countries it says a lot for the purchasing power of folks here when they pay double the price without compliant and square that with fact that 10 lakhs is probably half years wage for a reasonably middle level manager and a SUV at that price seems like a steal to us. Clearly something is off.
Old 29th March 2011, 23:32   #52
BHPian

this one looks ideal for India

launched in 2011....Mitsubishi ASX

Mitsubishi Motors
Old 30th March 2011, 07:21   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgev View Post
this one looks ideal for India

launched in 2011....Mitsubishi ASX

Mitsubishi Motors
I love this one. I am always a fan of the outlander's looks and this one looks like a smaller outlander, which would be perfect for India.
Old 30th March 2011, 07:46   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I love this one. I am always a fan of the outlander's looks and this one looks like a smaller outlander, which would be perfect for India.
Yes, I mentioned this in my earlier list as well.
Problem is the way Mitsubishi is progressing in India. It has been years, and they did not have the courage to bring the new (now old elsewhere) Lancer to India. So I don't expect much from them on the ASX as well.

Last edited by vb-saan : 30th March 2011 at 07:47. Reason: Additional comment added.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:15   #55
BANNED

HM-Mitsubishi is meandering along without any real direction
Hence I would not hold out much hope for them
They are being passed over by consumers in favour of all the other manufacturers and yet, they dont seem to realize their situation!
Waste of time in my opinion to expect HM MItsubishi to react positively to consumer feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Yes, I mentioned this in my earlier list as well.
Problem is the way Mitsubishi is progressing in India. It has been years, and they did not have the courage to bring the new (now old elsewhere) Lancer to India. So I don't expect much from them on the ASX as well.

Most Viewed