Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2011, 12:11   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Gorgeous 'Angel-Eyes'. They look their best in complete darkness.
A beautifully proportioned car although a bit bland from some angles.

How i wish BMW had not messed with the amber angel-eyes of old! White just does not look as stunning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Don't kid yourself! The 3, 5 and X1 are made in India.
Made in India?

I believe they are assembled in India (CKD route, which still attracts a high tax rate, although less compared to CBU), with limited localisation of components. With the current level of competition (specially with BMW, Audi and Mercedes), companies cannot simply afford to overprice their cars!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th March 2011 at 12:13.
Old 27th March 2011, 12:11   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Don't kid yourself! The 3, 5 and X1 are made in India. In the States, the 3 series sells for 17 lacs, the 5 series sells for 24 lacs. Why do I have to pay nearly double for the same exact cars with fewer options kit and an inferior warranty, when the cars are made in my own country?

In my opinion, because we are ignorant as a car buying demographic. We have allowed these manufacturers into our markets and allowed them to publicly oppose progressive nationalist policies whilst simultaneously bleeding the segments they cater to, albeit silently.
I think you've got this horribly wrong. BMW does not make any car in India. They are merely assembled. The popular Bimmers and Mercs are all SKDs (Semi-knocked-down-kits) The parts are brought down to India and then assembled here. This reduces the duties levied on the car to 60%(?) as opposed to the 110% duties you'd pay if you import the car as a whole.

This is done, not because we are a bunch ignorant car-buying demographic. Basically, the Govt. taxes the rich in our country.

And I shall repeat this again. It's not just our country. Singapore is one such country where cars cost 3 times the actual price!

Please get your facts right.

EDIT: In fact, in the recently proposed budget, the FM has decided to increase the tax on SKD cars as well! They might be on-par with CBUs (imports) and unfortunately, this will hit Mercedes, BMW and Audi pretty badly.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th March 2011 at 12:15.
Old 27th March 2011, 12:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

It definately is more softer than the outgoing 6. Are they trying to lure the ladies too with this one? The z4 seems to appeal to both sexes and now bmw seem willing to try the same with the 6.
Also i like the integration of the rear view camera, nifty!
Thanks for the detailed overview on the car.
Old 27th March 2011, 12:26   #19
BHPian

The BMW models I mentioned in my previous post are CKD, not SKD. Under the new budgetary provisions, pre assembled mechanical bits now attract a duty of a 30%, the rest of the components continue to attract 10% duty.

http://www.business-standard.com/ind...-cut/130038/on

Keep in mind that prior to this revision, the 3 and 5 series were charged 10% duty. And their prices were just as high.

My facts seem to check out. Do yours?
Old 27th March 2011, 12:31   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The BMW models I mentioned in my previous post are CKD, not SKD. Under the new budgetary provisions, pre assembled mechanical bits now attract a duty of a 30%, the rest of the components continue to attract 10% duty.

http://www.business-standard.com/ind...-cut/130038/on

Keep in mind that prior to this revision, the 3 and 5 series were charged 10% duty. And their prices were just as high.

My facts seem to check out. Do yours?

EDIT: I meant to say CKD (completely knocked down), not SKD.

And yes, where did you get the figure '10%' from?
Old 27th March 2011, 14:04   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In the States, the 3 series sells for 17 lacs, the 5 series sells for 24 lacs. Why do I have to pay nearly double for the same exact cars with fewer options kit and an inferior warranty, when the cars are made in my own country?
No point in comparing our prices with what is there in a different country - especially with US prices. Its a matured market, and maybe the free policies allow manufacturers to sell it cheap there. Its not cars alone, even an iPhone is much cheaper in the US compared to India.

And check in Thailand, a Toyota Corolla Altis comes around 30-40% cheaper than what we pay in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It's not just our country. Singapore is one such country where cars cost 3 times the actual price!
Singapore is a bad example to quote. Here all cars are imported, and there is something called COE (certificate of entitlement) which you need to purchase to take the car on road. And the COE is categorised based on engine size. To get a gauge on how highly its priced, take the case of BMW 535i, which is a CBU in India as well. The cost of this car in Singapore is a whopping INR 10 million (approx.). And in that around 2.1 million is COE. Actually the original mfg. value comes to INR 2 million only.

Back to the topic, I am sure that there will be quite a lot of takers for a niche product like the new 6.
Old 27th March 2011, 14:15   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

And check in Thailand, a Toyota Corolla Altis comes around 30-40% cheaper than what we pay in India.
And they're available with many more engine options as well, like a 1.4, 1.6, and so on.. It's true. Our market has yet to mature. But then again, it has come a long way since the Maruti 800.

Quote:
Singapore is a bad example to quote. Here all cars are imported, and there is something called COE (certificate of entitlement) which you need to purchase to take the car on road. And the COE is categorised based on engine size. To get a gauge on how highly its priced, take the case of BMW 535i, which is a CBU in India as well. The cost of this car in Singapore is a whopping INR 10 million (approx.). And in that around 2.1 million is COE. Actually the original mfg. value comes to INR 2 million only.
True.

But the cost of living and the amount one earns in that country are also factors. Many can afford cars like that, despite the high price tag. But I wouldn't say that it's a bad example to quote. The comparison was made because Screwdriva felt that customers of premium cars are being ripped off here in India.

Quote:
Back to the topic, I am sure that there will be quite a lot of takers for a niche product like the new 6.
Here in Bangalore, a 6 Series is not as rare as one would think. I see one every other day. Yes, it could be the same one, but pop into the Bangalore exotics thread and you'll see quite a number of 650i Bimmers around and even a couple of M6s.

As far as I know, the only competition to the 6 Series is the Jaguar XK. And the Jag is beginning to show its age, although it seems to be aging rather well.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th March 2011 at 14:16.
Old 28th March 2011, 10:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Sales are bound to be affected since, currently only the soft-top convertible is on sale. Lets be honest, convertibles are not exactly suitable for the climate we live in here in India. As far as I remember, most of the previous generation 6-series that I have seen are coupes.

I bet you, BMW will launch the coupe here soon as soon once the convertibles lag in ring their bells.
Old 28th March 2011, 17:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Top is soft only right? I think they should offer both options like they do on the E92. That will alleviate the issue.
Old 31st March 2011, 12:53   #25
BHPian

Superb report and pics Stratos!
The side profile really looks bland. Also, the front resembles the F10 5 series.
Bmw should start providing the hard top soon.
Has this car arrived in the showrooms for display?
Old 27th August 2011, 06:06   #26
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 6 series 2012 officially revealed

so finally its coming here ..

BMW 6 series coupe and 3 series convertible for India | Rush Lane

something different about this car - they don't produce this car in 30 D - so if they launch Diesel ( very high chances ) they will have to launch this either as 635 D or 640 D which should be fastest Diesel in India from BMW .

in fact on there UK website - its only 640 D - so very high probability of getting this here

BMW UK : BMW 6*Series*Coupé*(2011) Car Configurator
Old 27th August 2011, 10:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Turbanator,

The 640d Coupe / other 6 coupes have been order able at Indian dealerships since a few weeks now. 640d is tempting.

Regards,
Old 27th August 2011, 11:32   #28
Team-BHP Support

Oh, but I checked in Gurgaon - they don't any idea ? are you aware of pricing?

640D - time to upgrade my 530D...
Old 27th August 2011, 11:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Turbanator,

You can ask the dealer to talk to BMW India and they can start taking your personal order to deliver the car to you as per your specs at launch!

640d at 313 Bhp and 630 Nm of torque is truly amazing, no one makes a better 3.0d engine and thats where BMW shows they are the kings of diesel engines.

If you need more info do let me know I will ask my dealer for a clear picture.

Regards,

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 27th August 2011 at 12:08. Reason: Removed some information which I was not sure of
Old 8th September 2011, 18:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

I just got a call from BMW, the 640d price will be 73 - 75 Lac Ex-Showroom, this might vary in regions but the cars are now available to order, Please note this is for the coupe which is a far better car to own over the convertible.

Also without creating a new thread there are minor updates on all CBU's from BMW

Z4, has a new design package.
GT, now has navigation and few others as standard.
330d Hard Top convertible last month for dealer orders is October 2011, so anyone who wants one will have to order before that dead line.

Regards,

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th September 2011 at 12:05.

Most Viewed