Team-BHP - Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/98679-report-pics-new-bmw-6-series-f12-f13-launched-rs-95-lac.html)

BMW have been updating their model range in India almost parallel with rest of the world. These are their efforts to improve their current market share of 40% in the ultra-luxury car segment. Everything is launched with a bang, the 6-Series being no-exception.

BMW launched their all new 6-Series Convertible at the the Leela Palace Kempinski in Udaipur. The variant unveiled was the top end 650i. It will only be available as a soft-top convertible for the time being.

Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-one.jpg

Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-unveil.jpg

Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-him01.jpg

Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-beemerr.jpg

Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-bemer01.jpg

Design
In terms of design, the new 6-series looks much more subtle than the last generation Bangled shape. Although, it does seem to have taken away the aggressiveness. New design features include updated headlights, larger kidney grille, sleeker body profile and a properly designed back-end which flows with the overall design, unlike the last generation 6-Series.

A 650i floating in Lake Pichola.
Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-water.jpg

Thrust
Powered by a twin-turbo 4.4 litre V8 (Remember the E39 M5 engine, albeit detuned) which produces 407 bhp @ 5500 rpm and a torque of 600 Nm from 1750 rpm. All this propels the 650i from 0-100kmph in 5 seconds all the way upto 250 kmph. The horsepower is transfered to the wheels using a 8-Speed Automatic gear box with paddle-shifters located behind the steering wheel.

Price
Available as a Completely Built Unit - CBU, BMW are experimenting to bring the convertible segment alive which is almost non-existent in the Indian market today. Prices start at Rs. 95,00,000 ex-showroom. This number, according to Dr. Andreas Schaaf, President, BMW India will remain the same atleast till the end of 2011 even if the government levies the fluctuating taxes on CBUs / CKDs.

Some note-worthy features include:

- Drive Dynamic Control (Suspension settings: Normal, Sports and Sports +)

- Brake Energy Regeneration (A V8 powered car trying to be environmentally friendly?)

- Twin-Turbo

- The rear BMW Logo pops up for a rear-view camera (excellent feature, prohibits spoiling the back-end look with a lens popping out)

- BMW Night Vision with person recognition (Available in the Optional 'Innovation Package' with other features priced at a whooping Rs. 8,00,000)

All new headlamps. Yes, the angel eyes are present.
Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-headlight.jpg

Nicely shaped tail-lamps go with the overall shape of the car.
Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-taillight.jpg

Quite bland side-profile to be honest.
Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-side.jpg

The refreshed interior with the console slightly tilting towards the driver which provides an excellent view of the complete dash.
Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-inter01.jpg

Nice looking centre console. Tons of buttons to play around with. Quality of switches, as expected, is top-notch.
Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-console.jpg

8-Speed Automatic transmission with paddle-shifts on the steering wheel.
Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-gear.jpg

The backseats seem to just exist to make the 6-Series a grand tourer. Useless for tall adults. Strictly for kids or a dog.
Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-seats.jpg

275 / 35 R19s with superbly finished alloy wheels.
Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-tyres.jpg

Gorgeous 'Angel-Eyes'. They look their best in complete darkness.
Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-angel.jpg

A very happy, Dr. Andreas Schaaf, President, BMW India
Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-him32.jpg

Quite good looking from some angles.
Name:  Double.jpg
Views: 5623
Size:  485.1 KB

Scoop: The Beemer arriving on a floating platform for the event :D

Report & Pics: *New* BMW 6-Series (F12/F13) Launched @ Rs.95 lac-barge.jpg

Super Report Stratos. Thanks for sharing.

Overall I like the looks of the new 6. Again this doesnt look as aggressive as the previous gen but does look class. I am puzzled at why they only launched the Convertible first. Im sure the next M6 will have a twin turbo V8 sharing it with the next gen M5.

P.S: That picture with the palace in the background is killer.

Its sad when a car company charges more than twice the retail price of the same exact car sold overseas in other countries, and we Indian's react by cheering and rejoicing.

That being said, BMW have sharpened and smoothened alot of Chris Bangle's design out of the car.

WOW...Fantastic pictures Stratos!! IMO the new 6 looks best when vieiwed from the side or from the rear 3 quarter. Must say, quite a lot of amount spent on the launch by BMW. They are pretty serious with the Indian market. Haven't seen such a grand launch of any sports car here before.

I would still prefer the old 6 Series when it comes to looks. I'm sure this is a better car overall, but it deserves to look more aggressive. One can guess what the M6 would look like. It should be out soon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screwdriva (Post 2293064)
Its sad when a car company charges more than twice the retail price of the same exact car sold overseas in other countries, and we Indian's react by cheering and rejoicing.

That being said, BMW have sharpened and smoothened alot of Chris Bangle's design out of the car.

That is due to customs, duties and other charges. Not because BMW like to price it that way. And if you think our market has over-priced imports, you must check out the ex-showroom prices of the same cars in Singapore. It's ridiculous!

Thats a stunning report ! Beautiful pics as well. The first thing I noticed was why the looks are so soft !! Just don't go with the BMW name - could have been styled a bit more aggressive. But then, it does look beautiful! :)

Its a lot more softer looking than the outgoing Bangle piece (not sure if that is a good thing).

But a big salute to the German biggies! They are so serious about our market, and bring new products quite instantaneously along with the global launch - something which the Japanese counterparts can take a note!

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2293115)
I would still prefer the old 6 Series when it comes to looks. I'm sure this is a better car overall, but it deserves to look more aggressive. One can guess what the M6 would look like. It should be out soon!

I agree with you on that one,the i would prefer the older 6.This one seems to have fallen into the corporate look mould.

And the older M6 was so aggressive.It had its own unique look with made it distinctive in the crowded convertible market.
Same goes for the BMW Z4,very good looking.

This also looks low on space whats the need of giving rear seats in such a niche car if space is so comprised.

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

What's that small meter on the right side centre? Fuel level? Retro look?

That is one seriously bland design. In fact, if you imagine a different grill, it looks just like a Mercedes. Or a Volvo.

@sudev Yes thats the fuel level gauge,nothing retro about it part of the instrument cluster.

I actually love the rear lines of the car. Even the front has a strong presence to it. A good design overall....shame that they haven't bought India-centric powertrain options. A 635d with 300 horsepower would be perfect for this country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2293115)
That is due to customs, duties and other charges. Not because BMW like to price it that way. And if you think our market has over-priced imports, you must check out the ex-showroom prices of the same cars in Singapore. It's ridiculous!

Don't kid yourself! The 3, 5 and X1 are made in India. In the States, the 3 series sells for 17 lacs, the 5 series sells for 24 lacs. Why do I have to pay nearly double for the same exact cars with fewer options kit and an inferior warranty, when the cars are made in my own country?

In my opinion, because we are ignorant as a car buying demographic. We have allowed these manufacturers into our markets and allowed them to publicly oppose progressive nationalist policies whilst simultaneously bleeding the segments they cater to, albeit silently.